What is up with LB Luke Gifford?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What is up with LB Luke Gifford?

I took a quick look at the 2020 Cowboys roster depth chart, and he's the only linebacker listed on the 4th string depth chart. Starter Leighton Vander-Esch, 2nd stringer veteran Sean Lee and 3rd stringer undrafted rookie Francis Bernard are all above him.

For someone who has proto-typical excellent size for a LB at 6'3", weighs 243 lbs and is only 25 years old, I was expecting more from him this year, especially since he made a little noise late in training camp this year.

He's only got 2 tackles in this season. I don't remember ever seeing him play defense, so those tackles must have come during special teams. Some of us were expecting much more from him this 2020 season. So disappointing not to see hardly anything from him. Was truly hoping he would be able to contribute on defense this year.

Is his lack of playing due to Mike Nolan's defensive alignments requiring only 2 LBs at times, or is Luke Gifford simply not that good? If he's not that good, will he even make the team next year?

Surprising and disappointing that get couldn't get on the field, especially when Lee and LVE were out. Only Jaylon and Thomas, and neither are fit to play a full game.

UDFA who despite injury we protected on the roster for the year. I hate it when we carry young guys on the roster but don't let them make the field. 65% special teamer, but only 1 defensive snap this year.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Where are you getting your info from? Show some evidence instead of mere words. Anyone can lie to try to look intelligent. Show some evidence...or pipe down.

Go look at snap counts. Nearly every game has 5 DB with more snaps than the 3rd lb.

This is pretty obvious if you actually watch games. Nearly every O run 3 WR sets as their most common set. You defend that with nickel. This is not hard to observe

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I haven't even seen Joe Thomas as of late. Is he injured ?
He hasn't been on the game inactive list. and I haven't seen him being IR'ed or on the injury report.
With Lee and LVE back, Thomas hasn't been getting defensive snaps, though he does get ST snaps.

I'd rather be playing a rotation of Thomas, LVE, and Lee as our 2 LBs. LVE and Thomas for passing downs, Lee and LVE for run downs.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
With Lee and LVE back, Thomas hasn't been getting defensive snaps, though he does get ST snaps.

I'd rather be playing a rotation of Thomas, LVE, and Lee as our 2 LBs. LVE and Thomas for passing downs, Lee and LVE for run downs.

Lee gets maybe 25%. Why? Because like most teams nickel is our dominant alignment

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Lee gets maybe 25%. Why? Because like most teams nickel is our dominant alignment
So now you went from "base defense" to "dominant alignment"???

Stick to what you originally said instead of moving the goal posts whenever you are proven wrong!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
So now you went from "base defense" to "dominant alignment"???

Stick to what you originally said instead of moving the goal posts whenever you are proven wrong!

My whole argument focus on what we play most.

Follow the f along, you'll embarrass yourself less.

And for the love of God, stop just throwing out baseless claims. That era is done and gone. Move on

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
My whole argument focus on what we play most.

Follow the f along, you'll embarrass yourself less.

And for the love of God, stop just throwing out baseless claims. That era is done and gone. Move on
If that's what you meant, you should have said so AT FIRST! But since you got proven wrong on your original "base" claim, now you're backtracking and changing it to something else. Typical of an argumentative sore loser.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think some teams get psyched out when certain players are getting injuries too often. Cedric Wilson was a good example of that, when the team held him back because of the same thing. Perhaps Luke Gifford would get the same consideration, if his injuries subside. It's possible.

Last edited:

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
Looks like you're wrong... once again.

Screenshot-20201124-103909-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20201124-103822-Chrome.jpg

As you can see, a majority (15 out of 32) of 2020 NFL teams use a base 4-3 defense, while another 10 teams use a 3-4 alignment as their base defense. The remaining 7 teams use a Multiple Front variety of alignments.
I agree with you that Jaylon is a liability, & Nolan is failing (for now), but that other guy is right. Most teams rarely stay in their base defenses all game. Especially in passing situations.

Defenses aren’t confined to their base. Most teams run some type of dime, nickel, quarters. It’s in every defensive playbook, regardless of the base formation. Cowboys are listed as “Multiple Fronts”, because Nolan does in fact run both 4-3 and 3-4. Been running mostly 2 LB sets all season though. That’s why we barely see Lee on the field.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree with you that Jaylon is a liability, & Nolan is failing (for now), but that other guy is right. Most teams rarely stay in their base defenses all game. Especially in passing situations.

Defenses aren’t confined to their base. Most teams run some type of dime, nickel, quarters. It’s in every defensive playbook, regardless of the base formation. Cowboys are listed as “Multiple Fronts”, because Nolan does in fact run both 4-3 and 3-4. Been running mostly 2 LB sets all season though. That’s why we barely see Lee on the field.
That was not my argument with him. I showed proof stating what "base" defense most teams carry. Notice, I did not count the Cowboys as carrying a 4-3 base since it's stated they actually carry a Multiple Front mix. He was condescending by accusing me of not watching or paying attention to the Cowboys games while stating the Cowboys mostly only play 2 LB sets, which I have noticed, BUT HE ALSO ARGUED THAT MOST IF NOT ALL TEAMS NO LONGER RUN A BASE 4-3 D, which I proved him wrong.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
That was not my argument with him. I showed proof stating what "base" defense most teams carry. Notice, I did not count the Cowboys as carrying a 4-3 base since it's stated they actually carry a Multiple Front mix. He was condescending by accusing me of not watching or paying attention to the Cowboys games while stating the Cowboys mostly only play 2 LB sets, which I have noticed, BUT HE ALSO ARGUED THAT MOST IF NOT ALL TEAMS NO LONGER RUN A BASE 4-3 D, which I proved him wrong.
I think he just worded it wrong. He should’ve said most teams run mostly nickel/5 DB sets. Instead of saying most teams run a “nickel base”. I get what you’re saying though.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
If that's what you meant, you should have said so AT FIRST! But since you got proven wrong on your original "base" claim, now you're backtracking and changing it to something else. Typical of an argumentative sore loser.

Oh boy! Another sad post. You are pretty pitiful .