What it will take to beat the Chargers

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shoot out is the only way to win it. Get Elliott and Pollard about 12 catches between them and 18 between Cooper and Lamb. Keep the back 7 on their heels and put the ball in the air 50 times.

I do not think the Dallas D can stop them but the Dallas O can force them to riskier play calling just like that 2014 team did to opponents. That was a little more run intensive offense but with the shape this OL is in, they are not making many long extended clock eating drives to protect the defense.

One thing showed up in that 1st game, an opportunistic defense, let's see what we've got there. This team is no longer built to be a clock eater, got to strike early and often to force the OC into jacking up the risk factor.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the game for zeke where it’s either put up or shut up. We need him to dominate and give us the edge. If he can’t do it then he is useless.
I agree that it’s a big opportunity not only for Zeke but also Pollard. IMO, Zeke is no longer the “bell cow” RB with 20+ carries. I think it’s going to take a good running game from Zeke AND Pollard.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree that it’s a big opportunity not only for Zeke but also Pollard. IMO, Zeke is no longer the “bell cow” RB with 20+ carries. I think it’s going to take a good running game from Zeke AND Pollard.

I agree Pollard needs to see a lot more carries. Can you play catch up and still run the ball?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shoot out is the only way to win it. Get Elliott and Pollard about 12 catches between them and 18 between Cooper and Lamb. Keep the back 7 on their heels and put the ball in the air 50 times.

I do not think the Dallas D can stop them but the Dallas O can force them to riskier play calling just like that 2014 team did to opponents. That was a little more run intensive offense but with the shape this OL is in, they are not making many long extended clock eating drives to protect the defense.

One thing showed up in that 1st game, an opportunistic defense, let's see what we've got there. This team is no longer built to be a clock eater, got to strike early and often to force the OC into jacking up the risk factor.
Until this defense proves otherwise over several games, the pressure will be on Dak and the offense at all times. The Cowboys have not won a single game since 2019 scoring less than 30.
I agree Pollard needs to see a lot more carries. Can you play catch up and still run the ball?
Probably not.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could say run the ball and control the game but I do not know if the OL is up to that.

I could say contain a very athletic Herbert in the pocket and rush him all game long but I do not know if the DL is up to that.

I could say play tight coverage on as good a WR tandem as there is in the league but I do not know if the secondary is up to that.

I could say have Prescott go toe to toe in a shootout and I do think he and his WR's are up to that.

I am picking the Chargers in this game for one reason, the intangibles.

Unless you follow college football closely, and specifically the Pac 12, you don't know about Justin Herbert. At one time, Trevor Lawrence was second to him.

Justin Herbert, Kennan Allen and even Joey Bosa have for the most part been lights under baskets. They're considered "that other team" in their home market.

They play in the AFC West with the Chiefs and the Raiders and Broncos won their openers as well so the West might just be the best in both conferences.

So, what is this intangible I speak of? Respect, they're the Rodney Dangerfield's of the NFL, they've replaced the Browns.

Come Sunday, they open in their 5B palace and who do they play? None other than the ratings champ of the NFL in the game of the week and their chance to announce they have arrived is at hand. I do not believe they will miss this opportunity. They want to let the home crowd know there is another, and just as good, NFL team that plays here. Just as they want to announce that a new contender, just like BUF and CLE, has arrived and they've got their own young gun and he's just as good as the others.

The Cowboys have nothing to prove and every convenient reason to lose with the missing players and the Chargers have everything to prove. And that begins with beating the Cowboys on the big stage and announcing not that we are coming but that we are here. These Chargers might be last year's Bills.

Man, what a Debbie Downer post.

Soth

Reaction score
  • Help Steele a lot- Steele cannot handle anybody- much less Bosa alone. He will need lots of help.

This is the key factor in my opinion. If Steele gets abused we will lose. We will need to score a lot and that won't happen if Steele is by himself. If they are able to help him out then we have a chance.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
simple , better coaching!!
but that said I think we get out coached again.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on your point of view. The truth doesn’t bother me at all. If it’s raining outside to simply say “it’s raining” is not a “downer” if it’s true.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on your point of view. The truth doesn’t bother me at all. If it’s raining outside to simply say “it’s raining” is not a “downer” if it’s true.

There was some truth in there, some was pushing the limits a bit, but seems went out of the way to focus on all negatives. Which is why I posted what I did.

Just more negativity across the entire forum as usual.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
My concern is with the run blocking - when was the last time we saw good consistent blocking.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man, what a Truthful Trudy post.

jazzy, I do not decide whether to be negative or positive, I let the team decide that for me.

I think the offense is more than capable of keeping them in a game against any team but they must he 100% healthy or prove they can overcome missing players. Missing the #3WR and the RT, they need to step up and meet the challenge and I am not saying they can't but history says that with this team.

I do think the Chargers have more to prove and to their own fan base so I do see the fire more on their side. That entire team has to feel like second class citizens to the Rams so the motivation against America's Team? Yeah, I think they'll have fire in the belly.

I am still picking the Cowboys to win the East, that has not changed but we must be hitting on all cylinders and you have to admit, it hasn't started off well so far. We do not have A lines and are missing players on both sides and we do not have a great track record of the backups coming in and shining.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quick scouting report on the Chargers and what it will take to beat them.

THEIR STRENGTHS
  • Outstanding young QB in Justin Herbert. He has started 16 games in his career, going 7-9. Great accuracy as evidenced by his career 32 TDs vs 11 INTs. He’s big and mobile and has shown he’s not intimidated by anything. Can pass and run, so containing him and pressuring him are important.
  • WRs- Keenan Allen and Mike Williams are outstanding. Jalen Guyton, their 3rd receiver is a drop down but as a whole this is a top 10 group. Allen has had back to back seasons of 100 or more receptions. Mike Williams is no slouch, averaging over 80 receptions the last two seasons.
  • T Rashawn Slater- Chargers #1 pick this year has solidified their OL. Has already shown flashes of ALL PRO level talent.
  • Pass Rush- Edge rusher Joey Bosa has 48.5 career sacks in 5 seasons. The other Edge guy is Nuchenna Nuwosa, a third year player who has 10 sacks in his first two years.
  • Safeties- Derwin James is an ALL PRO safety and Nasir Adderley is a young up and coming safety. James is great in coverage as well as stuffing the run when in the box. They dare you to run the ball because they often play deep because of their range.
WEAKNESSES
  • Not much of a running game- RBs Austin Eckler and Justin Jackson aren’t anything special. Last year, they averaged only a little over 100 yards a game. Last week against Wash, they had 90 yds rushing.
  • Stopping the run- they aren’t terrible. But if you can establish the run on them, they don’t have great LBs which can set up play action passing.
  • Overall Defense was 23rd last year- they were without Derwin James last year, and their D stats showed it. They have a great pass rusher in Bosa but other than Bosa and James, their D is just average.
KEYS TO BEATING THE CHARGERS
  • Establish the running game- Zeke and Pollard must be able to be a real threat, especially early. You can run on the Chargers. If we can run on them, we should win.
  • Avoid long third down situations- That’s always true every game but especially against the Chargers where Bosa is deadly as a pass rusher on 3rd and long.
  • Contain Justin Herbert in the pocket- he doesn’t run much, but he did have 5 rushing TDs last year. And he can pass well on the move.
  • Put Trayvon Diggs on Keenan Allen- Containing Allen will be a huge key. The Chargers like to move him around a lot to isolate him in multiple coverage situations.
  • Help Steele a lot- Steele cannot handle anybody- much less Bosa alone. He will need lots of help.
  • Score early- we cannot get behind early forcing the running game to the curb.
Let’s go Cowboys!
  • Establish the running game- Zeke and Pollard must be able to be a real threat, especially early. You can run on the Chargers. If we can run on them, we should win.
  • Avoid long third down situations- That’s always true every game but especially against the Chargers where Bosa is deadly as a pass rusher on 3rd and long.
  • Contain Justin Herbert in the pocket- he doesn’t run much, but he did have 5 rushing TDs last year. And he can pass well on the move.
  • Put Trayvon Diggs on Keenan Allen- Containing Allen will be a huge key. The Chargers like to move him around a lot to isolate him in multiple coverage situations.
  • Score early- we cannot get behind early forcing the running game to the curb.
Spot on! I especially like putting Diggs on Allen. I am not worried about our O, I am hoping some people on D step way up and Quin comes up with a scheme that works.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That is debatable, but it wouldn’t be much of an accomplishment. If the win the East, it will be one and done. The NFCE is the worst division in football.
It would mean the Cowboys would be in the playoffs where it’s a whole new season.