What Jerald Jones never understood

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn’t you live down there at that time? Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m surprised you don’t remember that differently.

Jimmy was stuck with Marino in his decline years. He couldn’t get rid of him because of the legend he was. He built a very good roster around him but by the time Marino was ready to quit, so was Jimmy.

They were a playoff team. He didn’t leave Wannstedt with garbage. Not a championship team because they didn’t have the QB.

Although, as much as I love Jimmy Johnson, I don’t know that Dallas wins three SB with his roster if Aikman wasn’t in his lap from go.
Yes I lived down there at that time. Many blamed the owner at the time, Wayne Hazinga or however it is spelled. As he would not allow Jimmy to trade Marino, and get a young QB.

But that would not have guaranteed them a SB.

Jimmy and Jerry hit at the right time. Aikman was there, and the year before they drafted Irvin, then lucked Ito Emmitt. No salary cap, and of course the Walker trade.

Praxit

Reaction score
..actually, the dangling of the carrot. It what keeps us going.

Good example are the last three years. 12-5. Good enough to make playoffs.

But NOT good enough to advance. Jerry's fault? Probably best leave him out on this one.

He didn't coach the defense, to stay out of gaps. He didn't tell Dak to throw pic 6 to CD, being covered by three players.

He didn't tell MM, to not clock manage. You guys get my point.

Plain n simple, this team is cursed. For whatever reason. I dont know.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't know Charlotte was in charge of the cheerleaders?
https://www.dallascowboys.com/team/front-office-roster/charlotte-jones

...Concurrently, Charlotte is the President of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and is responsible for overseeing what is considered to be the most prominent organization of its kind in the world...

That and more googly-gook has been posted in her official team website biography for decades. Her father put her in charge (as President) of squad after a dozen or so cheerleaders initially quit after Jones purchased the franchise. He had no clue of relating to the situation he had acquired. Here is a passage from a 2011 Arkansas Democrat-Gazette article (link):

...One of the first things her father asked her to do was handle a controversy surrounding the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders uniforms. “He called me in Washington to ask me, ‘What are hot pants?’”...

Jones lucked out having Charlotte. I am certain Stephen would have totally bungled the assignment, lol.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes it was. But I had to post that about Jerry to see what responses would happen. :laugh:
Regardless it was a team effort. Whomever's idea it was to make the trade Jerry had to approve it. Regardless of who was the brain trust of what players to draft Jerry had to approve it. Whoever's idea it was to spend the money on key FA Jerry had ti approve it.

All worked in the 90's they all deserve credit.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
TheJerald Jones never figured out the feast-and-famine approach.

Jones never understood why foresters burn down acreage, why the farmer rests his land, why nature thins the herd or why Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders are forever young.

See, it is the renewal of nature.
St. Jimmy knew this. He suffered as he knew he would to mold a champion. And then ...

True, lads, Jones has always thought that going to the playoffs every year was sufficient to be a winner, The Super Bowl always "next year" or "We're getting close." If the franchise gets richer, then that is the targeted gravy.

Look at other teams.

They dominate then descend then go dormant and replenish.
It is a cycle, 5-12, 11-6 then a Lombardi and a lousy draft pick number. Nature's way for feast then famine.

Cowboys? We prefer 12-5 annually. As long as the tickets, merch and exclusive rights keep coming in no one at The Star will lose sleep.

But, Jerald, let us go into that good night of dormancy.

Rebuilding is a good thing
Tanking, consciously or not, is the range fire that revives the landscape.

I cannot type more as tears cloud me good eye.
It has only been recently that the Jonesboys have put together consecutive 12 win seasons. The last time it happen was 1992-1995.

So I would not consider rebuilding what has not been built in over 30 years.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

Jones never understood why foresters burn down acreage, why the farmer rests his land, why nature thins the herd or why Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders are forever young.

St. Jimmy knew this. He suffered as he knew he would to mold a champion. And then ...

True, lads, Jones has always thought that going to the playoffs every year was sufficient to be a winner, The Super Bowl always "next year" or "We're getting close." If the franchise gets richer, then that is the targeted gravy.

Look at other teams.

It is a cycle, 5-12, 11-6 then a Lombardi and a lousy draft pick number. Nature's way for feast then famine.

Cowboys? We prefer 12-5 annually. As long as the tickets, merch and exclusive rights keep coming in no one at The Star will lose sleep.

I cannot type more as tears cloud me good eye

Look at other teams.

So are you saying your other eye is bad?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Look at other teams.

If you let a sports team do this to you, maybe you should find other interests. Golf? Come here to Hawaii and I’ll play a round of golf with you.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
If you let a sports team do this to you, maybe you should find other interests. Golf? Come here to Hawaii and I’ll play a round of golf with you.
Golf? I am thinking, rather, getting sunburned and then gotten pepper-sprayed.
And no team does anything to me, saucy urchin. No more than what you let Dak do to you. Get help, lad.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson didn't want to suffer, he really didn't have a choice. The Cowboys were so devoid of talent that it would have taken several more years to build a good team and teh NFL doesn't grant that much time to head coaches.

If Jimmy had any idea that he would need to "suffer" then he never would have given up the following year's first overall pick by selecting Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft.

As it turns out, they still ended up with the #1 overall pick but that was through a trade.

In 1974 the Cowboys missed terh playoffs, going 8-6. it was time to rebuild. In 1975, their first rebuilding year, the Cowboys went to the Super Bowl. That's how this team needs to rebuild.
The 74 team had a ton of talent already on it to build around.
You had Harvey Martin and too tall Jones in their early twenties.

You had a seasoned powerful offensive line rayfield wright John niland Blaine Nye along with a young Drew Pearson at wide receiver.

Roger Staubach and Tom Landry an iconic pair only equaled by the likes of Walsh and Montana Brady and belichick.

In short McCarthy and Prescott are not in that League and will not be in the Hall of Fame.
Now our young talent specializes in marketing themselves getting big contracts and making the most money in the short window they have super bowls are not a priority.
Only to us fans who's desire for a super bowl is far greater than Jerry's or any of the players on the current team.