News: What kind of impact will the suspension of Greg Hardy have on the rest of the division?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Q/A: Todd Archer
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowb...ld-greg-hardys-suspension-impact-the-division

Today’s question:
What kind of impact will the suspension of Greg Hardy have on the rest of the division? If he still misses 10 games, then he would face only the Commanders during the regular season.

Dan Graziano, New York Giants: The last time the Giants saw Hardy, he was leading a Carolina defense that sacked Eli Manning six times in the first 17 minutes of a Week 13 game in Charlotte in 2013. It’s entirely possible that Manning still has nightmares about Hardy. So from the Giants’ standpoint, the near-certainty that Hardy won’t play in the season opener and the chance that he’ll still be suspended for their Week 7 home game against Dallas are welcome bits of news. The Giants will be without starting left tackle Will Beatty until at least November after Beatty had surgery in late May to repair a torn pectoral muscle. They will struggle against elite pass-rushers, and any game in which the opponent’s best pass-rusher is on the sideline will count as a break for the Giants.

Phil Sheridan, Philadelphia Eagles: It’s hard to say, because it’s not as though we’ve had Hardy wreaking havoc on the rest of the NFC East up until now. He looked like one of the more significant additions made by any of the NFC East teams in free agency. Now? He probably won’t have nearly the impact.

But the fact is, the Cowboys found ways to pressure Eagles quarterbacks without Hardy. It was the Cowboys who knocked Nick Foles out of a 2013 game with a concussion. And the Cowboys sacked Mark Sanchez four times for 33 yards in lost yardage in December. Sanchez also threw two interceptions in that game.

So yes, adding Hardy would have made it tougher on the Eagles’ offensive line. But I don’t think his absence will be that big of a deal. He didn't play last year when the Cowboys beat the Eagles in the most significant game of the Eagles’ season.

John Keim, Washington Commanders: If Hardy sits out 10 games, then he will have missed 25 consecutive games since the start of the 2014 season. It’s really hard to believe that he could return at an elite level. Also, as of now the Commanders are a solid fourth in the division, so it could be that Hardy’s return does not have a big, immediate impact on the division. Obviously the Cowboys would be adding a good player, someone they can move around quite a bit, as Carolina did. But how well will he know the scheme? How well will he know his teammates (on the field at least)?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Still don't think it's happenstance that Dallas faces the Giants twice in the first six weeks.

On the same level...putting dominance of the NFC East on the lin, early, could focus the team as well.

erod

Reaction score
Kleim is an idiot.

Scheme? How much "scheme" does a defensive lineman need to learn? I think he can handle learning the five different stunts, John. Take your hog nose off.

And bottom line is that, at some point, the Cowboys are going to add a player of major significance to their defense. The other three teams can't say that.

conner01

Reaction score
You mean, "run to the QB"? I'm sure he won't have too much difficulty with that.

And in Marinelli's defense, no less.

The scheme won't be an issue at all
Conditioning would be the only impact
Hard to get in football shape without playing football
The scheme I figure half the guys on this board could do
There is the QB, hit him!!!!!!

USMarineVet

Reaction score
We all know it's not going to be 10 games by now. All the Boys have to do is hold their own, which they're perfectly capable of doing, until he hits the field. And then, look out. The Kraken has been in his cage for far too long. And I do believe he's hungry.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
We all know it's not going to be 10 games by now. All the Boys have to do is hold their own, which they're perfectly capable of doing, until he hits the field. And then, look out. The Kraken has been in his cage for far too long. And I do believe he's hungry.

I also believe the Kraken will be looking for payback for the suspension and could be a monster.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think Hardy's suspension will put smiles on the faces of our all our opponents, including the divisional ones, until such time as he returns from the confines of the banished. Once he's back, those smiles may disappear.