What Makes Garrett's Offensive Approach Unique

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
It's almost like low-percentage big plays are in the game plan more than high-percentage move-the-chains type of plays. It is so frustrating watching this team play because the pieces we have pretty much fit into a ball control offense.

You have a huge offensive line with enough mobility to maul on run plays (traps) and two capable north/south runners. You have one of the best playmaking receivers in the game after the catch. (slants, hooks) You have two other excellent possession receivers with above average hands to move the chains. All with a QB with a quick release who can buy time and make good decisions.

Couple with that a get-off-the-field-quick defense that stuffs the run and get sacks/forces turnovers. All the corners are experienced playing man coverage. Keep in mind the safeties are average in coverage, not very instictive in a zone, but can attack downhill (usually) and make tackles. Three outside LBs that can get after a QB. A great, but undersized NT with above average pass rushing ability and a whole bevy of reserve DEs to keep in rotation and stay fresh to stop the run.

To me this screams ATTACK, get off the field and chew up the clock on offense. Defenses should have issues getting us off the field and 6-8 minutes drives should be the norm. I didnt even mention how the game's best tight end should figure into the equation. Typing this made me realize that watching this team is frustrating at times. It's like they have no direction.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
percyhoward;2524596 said:
What isn't so clear is why Garrett thinks we can have success this way.

What is also "not clear" is why Jerry went after Garrett in the first place!! I NEVER agreed with this hire.
The guy's whole claim to fame is two fold: He comes from some kind of "coaching family" (which was oblivious to me), and he had all of two-years-QB-Coach-in-Miami in his pocket. Both of which does NOT qualify you for ANY coordinator or HC position. Also, name for me the QB in Miami who "flourished" under his mentoring? I just never got this hire, or all they hype and "high fiving" when it was announced that he was on board.
I've told this story before, but I'll share it again: I got banned, literally BANNED from another Cowboy board simply for disagreeing with the whole Phillips/Garrett party after Parcells quit. No flaming, no cursing, no name calling, nothing of the sort. The whole cult over there was just tickled to death when the hirings were announced, and I was the only one saying "I don't get it. Where's the Beef?? Bad decisions". I was honestly the only poster who didn't like it. I wanted Ron Rivera as HC, which if you recall was the last man standing between Phillips and the HC job.
Of course, I hope Dallas not only wins this Sunday, but could make some noise in the playoffs. But I won't be totally upset if they lose, because hopefully it will expedite these two imposters toward the door and get real innovative go-getters to steer this talent in the right direction.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
kidcrook;2524845 said:
It's almost like low-percentage big plays are in the game plan more than high-percentage move-the-chains type of plays. It is so frustrating watching this team play because the pieces we have pretty much fit into a ball control offense.

You have a huge offensive line with enough mobility to maul on run plays (traps) and two capable north/south runners. You have one of the best playmaking receivers in the game after the catch. (slants, hooks) You have two other excellent possession receivers with above average hands to move the chains. All with a QB with a quick release who can buy time and make good decisions.

Couple with that a get-off-the-field-quick defense that stuffs the run and get sacks/forces turnovers. All the corners are experienced playing man coverage. Keep in mind the safeties are average in coverage, not very instictive in a zone, but can attack downhill (usually) and make tackles. Three outside LBs that can get after a QB. A great, but undersized NT with above average pass rushing ability and a whole bevy of reserve DEs to keep in rotation and stay fresh to stop the run.

To me this screams ATTACK, get off the field and chew up the clock on offense. Defenses should have issues getting us off the field and 6-8 minutes drives should be the norm. I didnt even mention how the game's best tight end should figure into the equation. Typing this made me realize that watching this team is frustrating at times. It's like they have no direction.

they do have direction

Garrett is just driving it the wrong way

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
theebs;2524794 said:
I do agree that barber has been the key. When he gets the ball alot we have played well against the eagles. That is why I had a really long winded post last year before the november eagles game about barber needing to get the ball against the eagles, because he was basically nonexistent in the eagles games in 06 also.

Here was my thread last year on this, and I still feel the same way!!!!! The more barber against the eagles the better. Hopefully choice will have a big day also.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101399&highlight=Marion+Barber

and about that game last year in december, That is the game procter had to come in and play center and columbo was struggling with a right ankle issue. We could not run at all. We tried but we couldnt get off the line of scrimmage in the second half. IN the first half we had open wr and romo missed them or they dropped the ball. Plus he hit his thumb on a helmet in the second quarter.

Those are all great points. I had forgotten about Gurode getting hurt and Columbo. Yeah, we had guys open all day, but Romo's finger was hurt. They bragged about Lito Sheppard after the game, but Romo hit Owens on that big bomb TD against Sheppard this year.

Yeah, we need to run it and establish it early, so we can go back to it at the end of the game and run out the clock.

I think Tony Romo needs to throw the football 20-25 times. Dallas still needs the big plays against this blitz happy defense. Owens needs to have some big plays.

Last year at Philadelphia, Romo was 20-25 for 324 yards and 3 TDs and 1 int. Owens had 174 yards and torched them. This may have been Tony Romo's and Jason Garrett's best game.

That will get it done. If Romo is throwing the ball more than 30 times, Dallas will be in trouble. Romo threw it 30 times for 312 yards and 3 TDs and 1 ints earlier in the year at Dallas. Dallas only rushed for 2.8 YPC, but most of Barber's damage came in the second half. The run game was stuffed in the first half, but Garrett knew he had to give Romo a running game. In the second half, Barber was a factor in the air and on the ground. He was the difference for Tony Romo. Barber took enough pressure of the passing game, so Romo could get the W and lead the Cowboys to victory.

You are so right, Dallas matches up with this team. Garrett's air show can burn them. Just give Romo his running game in order to take the heat off him and help move the chains.

Tashard Choice
Martellus Bennett
Patrick Crayton
Roy Williams
Miles Austin

Dallas needs to dial up plays for these guys.

Witten is hurting.
Owens will get all the attention.

Still, you have to find a way to make sure the WRs and TEs are hurting the Eagles' defense. That includes Owens and Witten or Bennett.

Dawkins is no match for a healthy Witten. I don't think he is a match for Bennett, either.

yimyammer

Reaction score
lewpac;2524849 said:
What is also "not clear" is why Jerry went after Garrett in the first place!! I NEVER agreed with this hire.
The guy's whole claim to fame is two fold: He comes from some kind of "coaching family" (which was oblivious to me), and he had all of two-years-QB-Coach-in-Miami in his pocket. Both of which does NOT qualify you for ANY coordinator or HC position. Also, name for me the QB in Miami who "flourished" under his mentoring? I just never got this hire, or all they hype and "high fiving" when it was announced that he was on board.
I've told this story before, but I'll share it again: I got banned, literally BANNED from another Cowboy board simply for disagreeing with the whole Phillips/Garrett party after Parcells quit. No flaming, no cursing, no name calling, nothing of the sort. The whole cult over there was just tickled to death when the hirings were announced, and I was the only one saying "I don't get it. Where's the Beef?? Bad decisions". I was honestly the only poster who didn't like it. I wanted Ron Rivera as HC, which if you recall was the last man standing between Phillips and the HC job.
Of course, I hope Dallas not only wins this Sunday, but could make some noise in the playoffs. But I won't be totally upset if they lose, because hopefully it will expedite these two imposters toward the door and get real innovative go-getters to steer this talent in the right direction.

Sounds like Dallascowboys.com? The people there would fit in well in 1800's Salem, Mass.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2524791 said:
Those other teams also don't have very good QBs. And no, I don't consider Eli or Jake to be that good.
And yet, look at the success Eli and Jake's teams are having, because the offense doesn't have to rely so much on the QB.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
41gy#;2524865 said:
Those are all great points. I had forgotten about Gurode getting hurt and Columbo. Yeah, we had guys open all day, but Romo's finger was hurt. They bragged about Lito Sheppard after the game, but Romo hit Owens on that big bomb TD against Sheppard this year.

Yeah, we need to run it and establish it early, so we can go back to it at the end of the game and run out the clock.

I think Tony Romo needs to throw the football 20-25 times. Dallas still needs the big plays against this blitz happy defense. Owens needs to have some big plays.

Last year at Philadelphia, Romo was 20-25 for 324 yards and 3 TDs and 1 int. Owens had 174 yards and torched them. This may have been Tony Romo's and Jason Garrett's best game.

That will get it done. If Romo is throwing the ball more than 30 times, Dallas will be in trouble. Romo threw it 30 times for 312 yards and 3 TDs and 1 ints earlier in the year at Dallas.

You are so right, Dallas matches up with this team. Garrett's air show can burn them. Just give Romo his running game in order to take the heat off him and help move the chains.

Tashard Choice
Martellus Bennett
Patrick Crayton
Roy Williams
Miles Austin

Dallas needs to dial up plays for these guys.

Witten is hurting.
Owens will get all the attention.

Still, you have to find a way to make sure the WRs and TEs are hurting the Eagles' defense. That includes Owens and Witten or Bennett.

Dawkins is no match for a healthy Witten. I don't think he is a match for Bennett, either.

So, you're saying 80% completion percentage, 3 TDs and 324 yards passing should get it done? That's a mighty thin limb you're climbing out on there, partner.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
links18;2524841 said:
When you go back and look at last year, its amazing how many 3rd and 15s. 3rd and 18s, etc. we were actually able to overcome and convert.

Yeah. It got to a point where I was excited to be in third and long. We're not converting those drive-extenders this year, and I don't understand what's changed. I do think Romo's hand is banged up; he's played well in some tough games, but he's just not as lethal after buying extra time in the pocket late in the season this year.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Idgit;2524874 said:
So, you're saying 80% completion percentage, 3 TDs and 324 yards passing should get it done? That's a mighty thin limb you're climbing out on there, partner.

The passing attempts are my main point. 20-25 passing attempts means good things are happening for Dallas. 30+ means you are in trouble. Yeah, I would love that game repeated. Dallas wins.

I added some to that post rather than posting a new one.

Punish them on third down on offense.

Stop them on third down on defense.

Run it.

Stop the run and big plays over the top.

Get sacks and turnovers

Prevent sacks and turnovers.

It comes down to this, especially against the pass happy and blitz happy Eagles.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
41gy#;2524884 said:
The passing attempts are my main point. 20-25 passing attempts means good things are happening for Dallas. 30+ means you are in trouble. Yeah, I would love that game repeated. Dallas wins.

I added some to that post rather than posting a new one.

Punish them on third down on offense.

Stop them on third down on defense.

Run it.

Stop the run and big plays over the top.

Get sacks and turnovers

Prevent sacks and turnovers.

It comes down to this, especially against the pass happy Eagles.

It was all clear. I was just playin' with ya.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
As far as the Eagles go, I look for Reid to try and run the football on us. The only division game they have won this year was the game in New York. Westbrook had 33 carries.

For some reason, against Washington, Westbrook had 12 carries.

Reid loves to beat Dallas, so he will look at McGahee and the great LeRon McClain and think he can do that, too.

Plus, in the first matchup (2008), in Dallas, the Eagles ran the ball 23 times and Dallas ran it 24. Reid committed to the run, in Dallas, in 2007. The Eagles rushed it 27 times. Dallas rushed it 15. They won. Dallas had more rushing attempts in 2007 (32 to 19), at Philly, Dallas won. Philadelphia committed to the run in the 2006 Christmas Day game at Dallas and won.

This guy never saw a pass he didn't love, but when he plays Dallas recently, he tries to lean on the run.

In the 2007 game at Philly, Dallas put them in a 17-7 hole at the half. If you can get the lead on them, he will revert back to his true self and pass, pass, pass...

Then, you can unleash # 94 and company.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
41gy#;2524902 said:
As far as the Eagles go, I look for Reid to try and run the football on us. The only division game they have won this year was the game in New York. Westbrook had 33 carries.

For some reason, against Washington, Westbrook had 12 carries.

Reid loves to beat Dallas, so he will look at McGahee and the great LeRon McClain and think he can do that, too.

Plus, in the first matchup (2008), in Dallas, the Eagles ran the ball 23 times and Dallas ran it 24. Reid committed to the run, in Dallas, in 2007. The Eagles rushed it 27 times. Dallas rushed it 15. They won. Dallas had more rushing attempts in 2007 (32 to 19), at Philly, Dallas won. Philadelphia committed to the run in the 2006 Christmas Day game at Dallas and won.

This guy never saw a pass he didn't love, but when he plays Dallas recently, he tries to lean on the run.

In the 2007 game at Philly, Dallas put them in a 17-7 hole at the half. If you can get the lead on them, he will revert back to his true self and pass, pass, pass...

Then, you can unleash # 94 and company.

I think they have no respect for our secondary and reid never respects anyones pass rush. They have thrown the ball basically 40 times each of the last 3 games we have played them. That is all I need to know.

Mcnabb and reid are extremely arrogant. They will come out sunday and throw it all over. They will make some of those deep in throws they like to run against us, but if we take away that deep ball and I think they will throw it at least 4 or 5 times then mcnabb can be limited.

But as always with mcnabb, the parcells saying holds true, you have to cover them after you cover them because of his ability to break tackles and get out of the pocket.

I really think mcnabbs arrogance will lead to his doom sunday.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
theebs;2524913 said:
I think they have no respect for our secondary and reid never respects anyones pass rush. They have thrown the ball basically 40 times each of the last 3 games we have played them. That is all I need to know.

Mcnabb and reid are extremely arrogant. They will come out sunday and throw it all over. They will make some of those deep in throws they like to run against us, but if we take away that deep ball and I think they will throw it at least 4 or 5 times then mcnabb can be limited.

But as always with mcnabb, the parcells saying holds true, you have to cover them after you cover them because of his ability to break tackles and get out of the pocket.

Yeah. They are both pretty cocky. Remember how Reid said they would target Jacques Reeves last year. They tried and failed. Terence Newman needs to be ready and aware at all times, he knows they will eventually take a shot at him, especially deep.

McNabb put it up 37 times earlier in the year. Our secondary was shaky, but they started sticking to their guys in the second half in zone, like you say we need to do.

McNabb put it up 46 times in the last game at Phiadelphia. 38-17 Dallas win.

Furthermore, McNabb put it up 41 times last year at Dallas. If Dallas isn't
1-13 converting third downs, McNabb doesn't get that many attempts, imo. They had the ball 33:57 to Dallas' 26:03. They ran it 27 times to Dallas' 15. Dallas turned it over 3 times.

cowboyz

Reaction score
SI has a good split stats page

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/6624/passing_splits.html

biggest thing is pressure

100 throws under pressure in 12 games. more than most qbs with 15 games.

romo threw 144 under a blitz and 100 under pressure. he has less throws than the other qbs, and faces more pressures.

peyton 121 to 77

eli 184 to 68. eli's pretty bad against the blitz.

philip 115 to 75

and of course his qb rating is dismal under pressure, 40.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theebs;2524913 said:
Especially after he just came out in the papers and said what a great year he's had. If they're knocked out of the playoffs by kickoff, which they should be, and our D slows them down at all, the boo birds should be out.

Of course, he'll still have that **** eating grin all the while.

Back to the thread... I wish I knew why Garrett played it this way.

Maybe Barber's been banged up longer than we knew, even before the toe got hurt, and RJ didn't trust Choice?

Maybe they just figure Tony is one of their best players, and they want the game in his hands?

Maybe we take the "Take what the D gives us" philosophy too far, like in the first Skins game when we let them dictate what we were going to run?

Maybe they established this pattern before our D improved and they thought they had to put a ton of points on the board to win? No, that one doesn't make much sense.

Maybe... Oh, that's about all I have.

What's weird is, Wade is a defensive coach, and I don't know of any defensive coach that doesn't want to control the ball and rest his defense. Maybe not to the extent that Parcells did, but still.

I dunno, it really feels like Jason is co-head coach and RJ is totally free to do what he wants. Maybe that's the way Jerry wanted it and set it up from the start. But RJ isn't doing his reputation any favors.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2524932 said:
Especially after he just came out in the papers and said what a great year he's had. If they're knocked out of the playoffs by kickoff, which they should be, and our D slows them down at all, the boo birds should be out.

Of course, he'll still have that **** eating grin all the while.

Back to the thread... I wish I knew why Garrett played it this way.

Maybe Barber's been banged up longer than we knew, even before the toe got hurt, and RJ didn't trust Choice?

Maybe they just figure Tony is one of their best players, and they want the game in his hands?

Maybe we take the "Take what the D gives us" philosophy too far, like in the first Skins game when we let them dictate what we were going to run?

Maybe they established this pattern before our D improved and they thought they had to put a ton of points on the board to win? No, that one doesn't make much sense.

Maybe... Oh, that's about all I have.

What's weird is, Wade is a defensive coach, and I don't know of any defensive coach that doesn't want to control the ball and rest his defense. Maybe not to the extent that Parcells did, but still.

I dunno, it really feels like Jason is co-head coach and RJ is totally free to do what he wants. Maybe that's the way Jerry wanted it and set it up from the start. But RJ isn't doing his reputation any favors.

I think it all goes back to one of the first things wade ever said after the preseason in 07, if running it is working we will run, if passing it is working we will pass......Thats it in a nutshell.

and then to what you said, romo is one of the best players, so they live and die with him. ANd I also think the fact that we pass block much better than run block in games has alot to do with it. And once we get the defense thinking pass, the ends start going up the field and that is why we run the same two interior running plays over and over.

I dont think we will run the ball that well sunday, particularly early in the game. We have to win this game our way and that is throwing the ball and making the 20+ yard plays.

Reaction score
the thing is, STATS LIE, they lie all of the time. This team's running game is not very good and most of it's big stats come from late in the game, when the opposing defense is tired from being on the field because of long drives anchored by the passing game. Whenever the passing game is thwarted, this team's offense go in the crapper and if our defense thinks it's tired now, just wait until it has an entire game of "three and outs" by the offense!

Now I will say this, this team's passing game has sucked since Romo's injury and their only alternative may be to run the ball and hope for the best. The disentegration of the passing game is mind boggling. Where did it go? is Romo going to ever "get well"?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
EGG;2524948 said:
the thing is, STATS LIE, they lie all of the time. This team's running game is not very good and most of it's big stats come from late in the game, when the opposing defense is tired from being on the field because of long drives anchored by the passing game. Whenever the passing game is thwarted, this team's offense go in the crapper and if our defense thinks it's tired now, just wait until it has an entire game of "three and outs" by the offense!

Now I will say this, this team's passing game has sucked since Romo's injury and their only alternative may be to run the ball and hope for the best. The disentegration of the passing game is mind boggling. Where did it go? is Romo going to ever "get well"?

Passing game looked pretty good against sf and seattle, in fact I dont know how it could get better than the first half of the seattle game.

Reaction score
theebs;2524950 said:
Passing game looked pretty good against sf and seattle, in fact I dont know how it could get better than the first half of the seattle game.

I don't think SF or Seattle count as real NFL football teams right now,,