What makes someone love Dak while hating Romo, or vice versa?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
One gets too much credit and the other gets to little credit. One was groomed and did not deliver and one was thrown to the wolves as a rookie and excelled with more playoff appearances and equal the wins in less the years. One was the reason for many NFC East/Playoff game clinging loses and a playoff lost. The other has been the reason for one NFC East/Playoff game clinging lost (Seattle 2017). One was criticized for not putting the time in during the off season and before a playoff game and the other puts in the time during the off season but was criticized for putting time in during a pandemic. One was coddled with no competition at QB until a rookie was drafted in the 4th round of 2016 draft. The other has meet competition challenges winning the starting job from 3rd string in high school, 3rd string in college, and 3rd string the NFL. One has fans using revisionist His-story that are not facts consistently and constantly. The Other has fans using true historical facts that are ignored consistently and constantly.

End of Discussion!

How did Dak get the Cowboys starting job?

conner01

Reaction score
I don’t get the hate for either
Romo was a very good QB
I didn’t expect Dak to be a great QB
But after year one I was impressed
After year two I wasn’t sure he was the future
But since I’ve grown to think he is the future
He can win for this team
I think some don’t want to pay him so rather than make an argument about the cost, which is a legitimate argument, they try to trash the player
I remember the same when Ware left
Fans were saying all his sacks were in garbage time
I thought Ware was a great player but the money got too high so I felt it was time to move on. I made the financial argument without trashing the player with silly ideas that he wasn’t an impactful player
Some can’t argue a financial situation without trashing the player

foofighters

Reaction score
Note: I don't want this to be the 500th edition of "Dak sucks" or "Romo sucks." Let's keep this one different - let's stay on topic, focused, and not stray into the usual same-old same-old arguments we've had elsewhere for years.

There are many Cowboys fans who love both Romo and Dak. There are also a few who, for some reason, hate both Romo and Dak. Okay, that's fine - at least they're consistent.

What puzzles me is fans who love Romo while hating Dak, or love Dak while hating Romo.

Because, from a purely objective standpoint, both players were quite similar. They both have a 1:2 ratio of playoff wins to losses, for instance. They were usually good enough to put the Cowboys in playoff contention every single December, even if not getting them in outright. They both made plays with their arms and legs, they had times when they were let down by shoddy defense or a bad O-line, they were both players of good character, etc. They both had good touchdown-to-interception ratios. They are both Pro Bowl level quarterbacks that the Cowboys were lucky to stumble into (one was a 4th-round pick, one was undrafted.)

In fact, I bet I could get some stats for both players - passing stats, win-to-loss ratio, etc. - and Cowboys Zoners wouldn't be able to readily guess which belonged to Romo and which belonged to Dak.

Yet - over the past few years - we've seen a stunning turnaround. The exact same posters here who criticized Romo, "It's wins that count, not stats" - now suddenly defend Dak by touting his stats and also saying, "A quarterback can't win by himself, it's a team game." And the exact same posters who defended Romo by saying "a quarterback can't win by himself" suddenly now criticize Dak "it's wins that count, not stats."

What gives? It's a strange, bizarre, hypocrisy.
basically threads like these that just can't let Romo go. I was a big Romo fan but he's gone. It's time to let go.

Radiashun

Reaction score
Romo frequently kept this team alive when they had no business even thinking playoffs. He made his share of mistakes, but he ran for his life and made things happen when it would have been a sack for almost any other quarterback. He became nationally known for a bad hold on a slippery football during a field goal attempt, and that definitely colored his legacy from that point on. Strangers who don't know how many yards there are on a football field would see my Cowboys shirt and tell me Romo was the problem.

Dak isn't nearly as exciting or capable of carrying the team on his own, but he's solid and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. He's about to get a chance to QB a stacked offense with what should certainly be far better play calling. If he doesn't shine this year, maybe he shouldn't be the future. But he's good enough that we'll probably finally get to an NFC championship game again.

cowboygo

Reaction score
Romo frequently kept this team alive when they had no business even thinking playoffs. He made his share of mistakes, but he ran for his life and made things happen when it would have been a sack for almost any other quarterback. He became nationally known for a bad hold on a slippery football during a field goal attempt, and that definitely colored his legacy from that point on. Strangers who don't know how many yards there are on a football field would see my Cowboys shirt and tell me Romo was the problem.

Dak isn't nearly as exciting or capable of carrying the team on his own, but he's solid and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. He's about to get a chance to QB a stacked offense with what should certainly be far better play calling. If he doesn't shine this year, maybe he shouldn't be the future. But he's good enough that we'll probably finally get to an NFC championship game again.
Agree with everything you said. Just going to add I do feel Romo had 2 stacked offenses - 2007 & 2014 and we didn't reach the NFCCG. The defense now is similar to those years imo, nothing great. Hopefully coaching is the factor that gets us over that hump. The team will ultimately play as the sum of its parts. Romo will get you MVP caliber play with a stacked offense. Can Dak? I think so. And thats what you want, someone who can play the position at a consistent level.

kskboys

Reaction score
Simple. Not possessing enough football awareness. Makes people fall for the QB love/hate fest.

Mostly, when I'm out in public and someone sees me w/ my Cowboys stuff on, they want to talk football. When the first words out of their mouth are "Romo Homo" or "Dak sucks", I try to excuse myself as politely as possible and move on. It's rare to find anyone you can truly discuss QBing w/. And the people on this board who would be good to discuss w/ generally stay away from QB discussions because of the lame polarized comments that are generally not true anyway. Talking about QB's on this board is like talking to someone from the stop story of a skyscraper while they are on the ground.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Agree, different styles of play. They are also built differently. Romo was so scrappy, and looked like he was having fun out there. The moxie was palpable. Dak's body will most likely allow him to surpass all of Romo's accomplishments. People hate to even accept the idea of that.
I've said it here recently...
Due to the era he's playing in, the offensive talent--both line and weapons--he's surrounded with, and his sturdy build, Dak will probably break all the Cowboys passing records.

kskboys

Reaction score
Selective memory then, PJ
Man, it was very vocal and loud.
20, 30, maybe even 50 people in this very forum wanted him gone after 2013.
Especially the Manziel crew...and there were (I counted at one point) at least 90 of them....half wanted him gone immediately and the other half wanted one year to groom Johnny football.
The vitriol was deafening.

Guys like ufcrules, Clove, Aviano, Blake, lostar, Gimmetheball, Gameover, and many more
Nonstop personal attacks on Romo with nastiness WAY beyond what we are seeing with dak. Not even close.

By the way, PJ, you were not one of them. You even said if we drafted Manziel "he would just be on the bench"

Look, I know all this because of way back then it got so ugly I started saving quotes that were outlandish--mainly the ones that got personal. Seems silly, but that's how bad it got.
There were at least 30 QB's touted as being better than Romo. Pryor, McCown, Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Matt Moore, Tebow, Colt McCoy, AJ McCarron, EJ Manuel, Tyrod Taylor, Kapernick, Keenum,Foles, Derek Anderson, TJ Yates, Shaun Hill, Connor Shaw, Matt Flynn

Those are some of the names that posters were screaming were better than Romo. It was incredibly stupid.

Redline360

Reaction score
Like both quarterbacks but prefer romo.

Romo: Loved his play style which was similar to Farve. Always felt like we had a chance of winning and frequently kept us in playoff contention when we had no business being that close. Made plenty of mistakes/interceptions but that was his play style due to running for his life alot. Rumors suggest he wasn't the best team leader and didn't take it as serious as others.

Dak: Not as flashy but makes less mistakes. Less capable of carrying the team. Great team leader

Romo: Better talent
Dak: Less talent but better leadership skills

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Note: I don't want this to be the 500th edition of "Dak sucks" or "Romo sucks." Let's keep this one different - let's stay on topic, focused, and not stray into the usual same-old same-old arguments we've had elsewhere for years.

There are many Cowboys fans who love both Romo and Dak. There are also a few who, for some reason, hate both Romo and Dak. Okay, that's fine - at least they're consistent.

What puzzles me is fans who love Romo while hating Dak, or love Dak while hating Romo.

Because, from a purely objective standpoint, both players were quite similar. They both have a 1:2 ratio of playoff wins to losses, for instance. They were usually good enough to put the Cowboys in playoff contention every single December, even if not getting them in outright. They both made plays with their arms and legs, they had times when they were let down by shoddy defense or a bad O-line, they were both players of good character, etc. They both had good touchdown-to-interception ratios. They are both Pro Bowl level quarterbacks that the Cowboys were lucky to stumble into (one was a 4th-round pick, one was undrafted.)

In fact, I bet I could get some stats for both players - passing stats, win-to-loss ratio, etc. - and Cowboys Zoners wouldn't be able to readily guess which belonged to Romo and which belonged to Dak.

Yet - over the past few years - we've seen a stunning turnaround. The exact same posters here who criticized Romo, "It's wins that count, not stats" - now suddenly defend Dak by touting his stats and also saying, "A quarterback can't win by himself, it's a team game." And the exact same posters who defended Romo by saying "a quarterback can't win by himself" suddenly now criticize Dak "it's wins that count, not stats."

Won't happen. Nature of the beast. That's why we had a completely separate Romo forum on the old boards. Kept the fans w/ rabies in one section, and absolutely increased discussion, as we no longer had to put up w/ the entire first page being 80% Romo threads. Just made the forums a much better place to be.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I think "hate" is a strong term to use for either group... but Dak slobberers are a despicable bunch.

Romo has not played a meaningful down since 2014 (think about how long ago that is) and even if he were the healthiest player in NFL history, he would still likely be gone from the league at age 40. At some point Dak slobberers will have to deal with the fact that criticism of Dak is just that, criticism of Dak, and stop crying and reaching for the Romo excuse every time they are getting dropkicked in an argument.

I just love the fact another poster commented on Romo being handed the job without competition, but Dak earning it. Do people really forget that quickly?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
My opinion of Romo:

Immense talent
So-so leader
His wild-catter style caused him to turn the ball over in critical times against top talent due to questionable risk/reward plays.
However, my opinion is he would have made a difference in the 2016 campaign during the playoffs.

My opinion of Dak:

Exceptional leadership abilities
So-so passer
Overly protective of the ball/ Perhaps this speaks more to his acknowledgement of his own passing skills since he is almost the anti-Romo when it comes to taking chances.
With this offense - healthy - and a top 10 defense, my opinion is Dak can get to the NFC Championship game. At that point it is win two games in a row.
However, I am still in a show me status, and this can change depending on his response to real competition for the starting spot.

Romo gets the edge in talent. Dak gets the edge in leadership and physical stamina. Romo was tough. But Dak is built for the long haul.

What others think isn't important to me, frankly. I base this off watching every play of both QB's throughout their careers.

johneric8

Reaction score
For me, with Romo I always felt like they could come back from anything. With Dak, I don't get that feeling. Romo felt dynamic, Dak feels like a bus driver. That's not to say I don't like Dak, I just think he's over-hyped.

I am looking forward to what MM can do with him though.

What Romo felt like to be was a gigantic panic attack. I've never in my lifetime seen a QB make the most boneheaded plays at the worst possible times. I still remember fans of other teams laughing at us because they knew Romo would do something incredibly stupid.

I don't miss that at all, in fact, I hated that part of Romo's game. I am much more relaxed with Dak, and feel like that he is going to be way more even keeled through the game which is nice coming from panic station with Romo.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Romo was very talented, but I wasn't a fan of his all too frequent untimely miscues.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I don't really fit in the boxes.

I like Romo because of what he accomplished. He earned what he got, impressing a coach of the caliber of Bill Parcells in the process. I also feel a little sorry for him because the organization hamstrung him with an average coach and bad talent acquisition for years refusing to seriously help him until it was too late.

I don't dislike Dak. I'm just "meh" about him right now because I think he was privileged too early. I feel like he is the spoiled child when compared him to Romo. I also don't think he possesses the accuracy nor the ability to see the field as quickly as Romo.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
What Romo felt like to be was a gigantic panic attack. I've never in my lifetime seen a QB make the most boneheaded plays at the worst possible times. I still remember fans of other teams laughing at us because they knew Romo would do something incredibly stupid.

I don't miss that at all, in fact, I hated that part of Romo's game. I am much more relaxed with Dak, and feel like that he is going to be way more even keeled through the game which is nice coming from panic station with Romo.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Romo was very talented, but I wasn't a fan of his all too frequent untimely miscues.
You sound like a fake fan who never watched a Cowboys game to me. Romo didn’t have “frequent untimely miscues”. Maybe you could look up how many career playoff interceptions Romo had, providing you can actually read.

btcutter

Reaction score
For me, with Romo I always felt like they could come back from anything. With Dak, I don't get that feeling. Romo felt dynamic, Dak feels like a bus driver. That's not to say I don't like Dak, I just think he's over-hyped.

I am looking forward to what MM can do with him though.

Just to add even though Romo makes you feel that you are always in the game he will make some boneheaded plays that makes your go '***' ??!!

Dak is just.. meh..

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

That's an extremely easy question to answer.....ignorance.