What music download service do you use?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been using iTunes for months since I bought an iPod Mini but now I also have a Sony MP3 player for when I exercise because it's much lighter and less a target for theft. :) As such, I'm looking to replace iTunes as my music download service and was looking for comments on the other services out there.

I really want a service that I can listen to radio and unlimited music streamed through the net on the computer while I work and buy songs and and albums in high quality WMA or MP3 format that will play on most MP3 players. The service also needs to have a large inventory because I love a lot of different types of music.

I am very interested in hearing your opinions and about your experiences with any of the music download services.

Thanks,
-Reality

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ask Dan the Man....I am having a braincramp thinking of what he uses but it is a pay service and has a pretty good variety of music.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
The first thing I would check for are the sites that have the $15 a month, unlimited music deals. But I would read the fine print. I know the new Napster used to have such a deal, but only 10 or 15 MP3 models would work with the Napster software. I used to have to download their music, use a utility that transferred it ot MP3 format, and then download it on my players.

P.S. Napster offers the customized radio service. I loved using it.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
Ask Dan the Man....I am having a braincramp thinking of what he uses but it is a pay service and has a pretty good variety of music.
Well, I've looked at many that fit the criteria of offering a large variety of music but I want one that offers high quality streaming for listening to any song (without downloading it) each month for a flat rate of like $10 or so and then charges $1 or so for each song to be downloaded in a high quality WMA or MP3 format.

I've looked at some but I'd still like to hear other people's opinions on those and the ones I haven't tried.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reality said:
Well, I've looked at many that fit the criteria of offering a large variety of music but I want one that offers high quality streaming for listening to any song (without downloading it) each month for a flat rate of like $10 or so and then charges $1 or so for each song to be downloaded in a high quality WMA or MP3 format.

I've looked at some but I'd still like to hear other people's opinions on those and the ones I haven't tried.

Ah...well I have to admit I do not know much about the streaming media or sites that offer that.

The only one I can remember is Rhapsody but I have no clue if that is good or bad, I just know I am not really a fan of the REAL software.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Everyone I know uses Limewire but I haven't tried it yet...

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
Reality said:
Well, I meant LEGAL music download services :)

It's legal if you know how to do it.

1: I have "sharing" turned off.
2: I don't get paid, nor does that website make any $$ off my show.
3: I don't burn CD's.

Maybe not 100% legal, but I don't allow any profiteering from my use. Not even to the point of burning CD's.

99% of the music that I have ripped to my PC's, are straight from purchased CD's. I only use Limewire to play instant requests. Then (generally) immediately after the show, I delete them all.

Like I said, Limewire is the best for what I use it for. I can literally get any song in about 30 secs. It's a handy tool when playing live requests.

Probably not exactly what you're looking for though.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:

Maybe not 100% legal, but I don't allow any profiteering from my use. Not even to the point of burning CD's.

99% of the music that I have ripped to my PC's, are straight from purchased CD's. I only use Limewire to play instant requests. Then (generally) immediately after the show, I delete them all.

Like I said, Limewire is the best for what I use it for. I can literally get any song in about 30 secs. It's a handy tool when playing live requests.

I was reading a letter to the editor in my Wired magazine, and they estimated the number of peer to peer users and law suits and guessed that you have a 1 in 600 chance of getting sued if you illegally download.

Furthermore, the companies usually only target folks who download the Top 50 stuff, so if you're downloading garage band songs and obscure movies, you're probably safe. On the other hand, if you're into Usher, Metallica, and Star Wars, peek-a-boo, they see you!

Most of the folks who get sued are kids and old people because they're not familiar with the software and don't realize they can turn sharing or browsing of your hard drive off which also keeps you safe from law suits.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DANTHEMAN said:

I'm really looking at only 100% legal services though. I'm not putting down anyone who uses P2P to get their music, it's just for me, I can afford to pay and paying $1 per song is worth it to me to be able to find it quickly, not have to deal with various quality songs or bogus songs. Also, I want a service that includes a monthly plan where I can stream unlimited songs over the net without having to download, store and organize them.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Or go the really free route and just rip your own mp3's from your own cd collection :D

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
Or go the really free route and just rip your own mp3's from your own cd collection :D

Or Friends CD collection lol.