What offensive scheme/system are we playing?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
West Coast, Texas Coast, Kellen Moore or MM? I'm confused coz it appears they played a little of all on Sunday, which brings my next question. Are we running more this year than last few years under Moore? I'm not sure we are......

Of course, I'm not complaining but a ton of WRs were involved Sunday and we still have Bryant coming.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The fact that you don't know the answer means it's a good offense.

The reality is that no team has an offensive "system" and most of them do the same thing. The Shannahan/McVay/McDaniels tree has more nuance than others, but the rest of the league is just adopting what they do to create space.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The fact that you don't know the answer means it's a good offense.

The reality is that no team has an offensive "system" and most of them do the same thing. The Shannahan/McVay/McDaniels tree has more nuance than others, but the rest of the league is just adopting what they do to create space.
I remember reading somewhere that most teams, if not all, feed off the late Bill Walsh concept or Air Coryell. But my point is that fact MM talked about running a different offense from KM but we really seeing a difference?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that most teams, if not all, feed off the late Bill Walsh concept or Air Coryell. But my point is that fact MM talked about running a different offense from KM but we really seeing a difference?
Well that's kind of my point. It's a different offense but the principles are all a blend of the West Coast and Coryell. The differences are so small that most offenses are indistinguishable.

The difference is that MM is throwing on first down.

John813

Reaction score
This was during TC, and it's smoke screen season but I think this part had a lot of truth to it:

"Player-approved changes
McCarthy has remained adamant that he won’t be completely revamping the offense, but rather making tweaks and adjustments where needed. The head coach, as well as other coaches and players, have estimated that roughly 70% of the original offense is remaining.

It appears, though, that the changes being made are changes that are universally agreed upon as necessary. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer recently mentioned that the tweaks they are implementing on offense gained sign-off approval from veterans like Zack Martin and Tyron Smith, as well as Prescott and Pollard. If the players believe in the changes McCarthy and Co. are installing, that has to bode well for the whole operation."

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...texas-coast-tony-pollard-brian-schottenheimer

Aven8

Reaction score
He took out button hooks except for Gallup. He still runs the same thing. The slants are new….haven’t seen those since Mike was catching them!

He’s also scheming guys open. Lamb seems to be always open. It’s a beautiful thing to finally see folks. It’s taken over a decade!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
West Coast, Texas Coast, Kellen Moore or MM? I'm confused coz it appears they played a little of all on Sunday, which brings my next question. Are we running more this year than last few years under Moore? I'm not sure we are......

Of course, I'm not complaining but a ton of WRs were involved Sunday and we still have Bryant coming.

IT WAS A BAD SECONDARY out there we played against, that's all

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

there is no real offensive system were you get pegged into any more...no pure west coast or timing offense. its a mix and which styles or routes you call more of.

but I have to say, we have made an adjustment since the first few weeks. MM tried a lot of short passing game, too many crossing routes, slants and short hooks and teams were jamming us inside the first 10 yards, in the past few weeks we are starting to attack down field which is opening up the offense. we are better suited to attack down field than play these short passing game. its opened up the passing game a lot. now, we need to fix the rushing attack. our blocking scheme is killing us

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I have not heard any opposing players claim they know what plays the Cowboys are going to run, like we have in the past, so we have that going for us.
commentators surely know, so i'm not sure that it can't be passed down as teams scheme against us every week

817Gill

Reaction score
commentators surely know, so i'm not sure that it can't be passed down as teams scheme against us every week
Commentators talk to the players before the game and get insight that allow them to have all these talking points.

Olsen knowing an audible terminology doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things. Watch any game you’ll hear announcers have similar topics about teams X’s and O’s.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He seems to be moving WR around. But needs to work hard on goal line. We either throw it in or run it in from outside the 5 or we are gonna struggle. We needed to be trying options in games we are winning big. If that was a tight game and we turn over on downs because we can’t punch it in from the 1 or 2 yards line then it’s gonna be a long day. Late in egirls game from the 1 on goal line if we didn’t have the penalty do you think we punch it in for the win. Now if we still had an Elliot I would feel much more confident. Where is Luepke.