What offensive scheme/system are we playing?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
West Coast, Texas Coast, Kellen Moore or MM? I'm confused coz it appears they played a little of all on Sunday, which brings my next question. Are we running more this year than last few years under Moore? I'm not sure we are......

Of course, I'm not complaining but a ton of WRs were involved Sunday and we still have Bryant coming.

DDD offense.

Dumbed Down for Dak.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It sure looks like that.
I saw a play where we had 2 WR running into each other. Strange play design. Guessing one was supposed to cross under and break across but ran right up the WR back instead.

conner01

Reaction score
West Coast, Texas Coast, Kellen Moore or MM? I'm confused coz it appears they played a little of all on Sunday, which brings my next question. Are we running more this year than last few years under Moore? I'm not sure we are......

Of course, I'm not complaining but a ton of WRs were involved Sunday and we still have Bryant coming.

Seems like we are opening it up down field more. Which I love. If you throw short too much they can jump routes since they have someone over the top. It also forces safeties to stay back which helps the run. To me you have short, intermediate and deep routes on most plays to force the D to cover the entire field. The fact they seem to be tweaking it some shows me MM is willing to adapt and that’s always good

DFWJC

Reaction score
Pretty sure is a hybrid....as are almost all offenses now.
Only a few teams still run offenses that fit into one of those boxes anymore.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
There are some real experts on here and I'll defer to them if they want to pipe in.

From what I have seen and read, the basic concepts here are pretty west coast-ish. Olsen went into great detail on a pass play where Dak had a high low. He was supposed to read the middle coverage and throw based on it. West coast offenses frequently use these principles where they effectively overload one side of the field with a deep, middle and short option. The QB is supposed to read and take the wide open guy.

Last year, KM was drawing up plays that overload certain depths. Like the button hooks play where you had everyone running to a certain depth and turning. If that's a zone, you probably have that level of the zone overloaded. More receivers than defenders and one should be wide open. That said, you have to read the whole field left to right instead of just concentrating on one half.

The Air Coryell system had a lot of WR reads. The QB is supposed to make the same read and throw a timing pattern. Oversimplified: 10 yard route. If the CB is outside, break inside. If the CB is inside, break out. The QB throws right as the WR breaks giving the defender no time to react. Aikman and Irvin used to eat defenses alive with this.

This year, I have read that the receiver reads are mostly out. You run the pattern that you were supposed to run. There are pro's and cons but it seems to have reduced the INT's.

Overall, I would say that Dallas is running a pretty traditional west coast offense. At least conceptually. The only tweaks may be the language and the run game.

Last note: One of the big changes over the past few weeks is that Dak early on was almost always taking the short route in those high/low options. He is now throwing the long route a LOT. If he sees single coverage or better, he lets it fly. His accuracy has been fantastic so he is "throwing people open" and routinely beating single coverage.