What one player do you think is most likely to drop to or past us?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Say like a potential top 10 or 15 pick?

I have a feeling Ngata will be available when we pick and we'll pass.

Smith22

Reaction score
Really? Why? You think Bunkley is the 1st DT gone then?

Jimmy Williams gets my vote I suppose. Another candidate who may take a fall is Greenway, but the fact that many teams need help at LB'er I can't see him going to long after our pick.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Rack said:

If Ngata's still on the board, I'll be one pissed-off Bear if you're right about the Boys passing on him... that guy would be the anchor of our defensive line for a long time...

Smith22

Reaction score
The Ravens could use a big DT and they are need of a stud at RT, so I'm assuming they have to take either Ngata or Justice. Then again, it is the NFL draft so you never know....

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
silverbear said:
If Ngata's still on the board, I'll be one pissed-off Bear if you're right about the Boys passing on him... that guy would be the anchor of our defensive line for a long time...

I dunno. The rap on him is he isn't very motivated and will often get driven off the ball in goalline situations.

I think the potential is there, but I question his heart.

This really isn't a great year for DTs. Not in the first round anyway.

Woods

Reaction score
I'd go with Ngata, J. Williams (if he's still is top 10-15), Greenway (again, if he's still top 10-15), and possibly Justice.

I thought Bunkley may be the one to slip, and I actually prefer him to Ngata, but I think Bunkley will be gone.

It would be a tough choice between Ngata and Justice. We'd probably try to trade down anyway.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I have not seen any creditable source that questions Ngata's heart or drive- endurance is another matter. Those big heavy DT's will run out of gas if you do not rotate them. Now BP would have to make sure the guy does not eat himself out of the league- but that is doable.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Rack said:

this wouldnt surprise me either (him being available)...I really dont want him, but I wonder if Parcells would pass on him if he were there...I wont get violent if we land him but he definitely isnt my idea of an ideal 1st pick this yr either...I see him as a major boom or bust type

David

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Chad Greenway! I think Lawson, Wimberly, and/or Carpenter could be taken ahead of him. Do we take him? I'm not sure yet. Would I take him? I'm not sure yet.....:confused:

Champsheart

Reaction score
Chad Greenway. Off the times I have seen him play I have no idea why he is as hyped as he is.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Champsheart said:
Chad Greenway. Off the times I have seen him play I have no idea why he is as hyped as he is.

He is a grabber, not a tackler. He looks like a king-sized safety to me.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
I wouldn't be suprised to see Jimmy Williams fall past us given his mouth. He seems like a 2006-model Pac Man Jones to me.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
I have not seen any creditable source that questions Ngata's heart or drive- endurance is another matter. Those big heavy DT's will run out of gas if you do not rotate them. Now BP would have to make sure the guy does not eat himself out of the league- but that is doable.

A friend of mine sent me the report yesterday. Don't know where he got it, but when he gets out of work I'll have him send it to me again, then I'll post it here.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Rack said:
I dunno. The rap on him is he isn't very motivated and will often get driven off the ball in goalline situations.

I think the potential is there, but I question his heart.

This really isn't a great year for DTs. Not in the first round anyway.

This article was interesting because it mentions the "lazy" label on Ngata but also quotes Parcells' "planet theory" around drafting any athletic big man you can get your hands on. Perhaps that's why we've also shown interest in other lazy dufflebags like Watson and Wright.

http://kffl.com/article.php/47708/160

Seems to me the term "lazy" gets thrown around a lot of DT prospects, even some elite ones, perhaps due to their sheer size. I've seen Ngata play and I think he's a monster who could have an immediate impact as a rotational, run-stuffer. I still think he's top-10 and would love him at #18 if he fell to us.

MiStar

Reaction score
The thing that worries most about Ngata is his injury history. I don't really want a guy who's body might not be able to take the abuse that comes with playing the nose in the 3-4.

I'd rather have Watson, as he seems to be more powerful and healthy of the two.

I agree that the twrm lazy does get thrown around a lot with DT prospects. Do you really expect to be able to run down a RB from behind at 310+ lbs. You might as well save yourself for the abuse coming on the next play. That being said, I definitely remember seeing an interview with Watson where he said that the one thing that he wont miss about Michigan is PRACTICE. I think that qualifies as a red flag.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
burmafrd said:

from PFW draft preview magazine, page 88

Ngata weaknesses "effort is inconsistent...scouts would like to see him play hard every down and not take plays off"

David