What part of the D worries you most?

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Personally I'm worried about all of them but that's because I'm a worrier.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Personally I'm worried about all of them but that's because I'm a worrier.

(1) The newness of the 3-4 to the personnel and to the Defensive Coordinator

(2) The number of new rookies that we will need to step up this year on defense

stag hunter

Hater
Reaction score
I'm not as worried about FS as most people are, I guess I'm more concerned with the mental aspect of the transition from 4-3 to 3-4. So i'll go ahead and say LB's.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
My choice isn't available I'm not worried at all about our D if zimmer screws up BP will take over. Davis will be fine with the talent around him what better time to break someone in? the scheme isn't that big of a change I think its get to the ball is what BP wants and no matter what scheme you run if you can do that then you should be fine. The rookies and vets is a nice blend IMO

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike 1967 said:
(1) The newness of the 3-4 to the personnel and to the Defensive Coordinator

(2) The number of new rookies that we will need to step up this year on defense
I agree with your choices.

Seriously, JJT mentioned that the pressure will be on Zim to get the D to an Elite level. But with all the changes being implemented from the players to the coaches, I think he's almost set up for failure.

This year will truly show what kinda coaching skills Zim has to get the D back from middle of the pack to a top 10 D.

I guess a better question would be to ask, what would be considered a good D? From stats to overall player performances.

Bcburns

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
My choice isn't available I'm not worried at all about our D if zimmer screws up BP will take over. Davis will be fine with the talent around him what better time to break someone in? the scheme isn't that big of a change I think its get to the ball is what BP wants and no matter what scheme you run if you can do that then you should be fine. The rookies and vets is a nice blend IMO

Count me in on this one too. That's two for the unavailable option, "Not worried".

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The front 7, names look great on paper but game is played on the field. Pass Rush is a must but we also have to be strong aginst the running game

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not all that much really. My biggest concern, to tell the truth, is the fan reaction if our defense isn't what everybody expects. Lots of young guys, a new scheme and expectations from our fan base that are on par with Moses parting the Red Sea are unrealistic. I think that there will be a lot of *****ing and moaning going on if we're not a top rated defense and that will be a real shame.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
The 3-4 in general. Granted, BP knows it and should be able to tell if it works, but a scheme that takes your best defensive player off the field (Glover) and limits one of your better defensive lineman to grunt duty as a 3-4 end where his effectiveness is limited (Ellis), concerns me a bit. Not to mention that the team is counting heavily on two rookies (Ware and Spears) to not only adjust to the NFL but to a new scheme as well. James/Shanle are a huge question mark at ILB. NT depth behind Ferguson scares me. The other OLB spot (opposite a rookie who hasn't played it before) scares me. And it could be another rookie (Burnett). The 3-4 run defense with the current lineup scares me as well. It seems I am easily scared! :D

However, after all that, I have faith in BP and if he thinks he can get a competitive 3-4 on the field, by all means go for it. I just hope he doesn't sacrifice better overall talent on the field in favor of scheme.

FS really doesn't scare me as much. I think with Roy, Newman, Henry and Glenn, the team has enough talent in the secondary to cover up inexperience at FS. Reese is nothing special, but he is known as solid and intelligent, so I think the team is better off there this year.

So, in summary, I guess one OLB, one ILB and the removal of Glover from the field are my biggest concerns.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Put me down for not worried about any of those items.
Our defense was victimized last year by significant injuries in the secondary. We've fixed the primary problems in that regard by getting back our old starters and adding Henry and Glen. FS is the position on either side of the ball I worry about the least, and we signed a capable starter from a solid defense and a drafted for depth there anyway.

There's no shortage of 3-4 know-how on this team. And there are worse things than starting rookies at the LB positions. Spears only needs to be an upgrade over Wiley or Ekuban. That's not a tall order.

To the extent I'm worried about anything, it's the QB position and injuries exposing areas of limited depth, but my money is on a return to the top 10 in defense this year before the first quarter of the season is through.

silver

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Keith Davis, no question. He is not in any way a cover safety, which is what we need.

Is that a new position? What's next? a shut down safety?

twa

Reaction score
Linebackers in 3-4,FS, I think Reese sets a baseline of talent that hopefully one of the others can surpass.
I just don't see the talent at LB for the 3-4....hope I an wrong.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
junk said:
FS really doesn't scare me as much. I think with Roy, Newman, Henry and Glenn, the team has enough talent in the secondary to cover up inexperience at FS. Reese is nothing special, but he is known as solid and intelligent, so I think the team is better off there this year.

So, in summary, I guess one OLB, one ILB and the removal of Glover from the field are my biggest concerns.

I agree here Junk. We're better off this year than we were there last year. We have more experience and if anything we've added depth if Lynn Scott remains the starter and gets hurt for any reason.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
No depth at NT and big question marks at LB in the 3-4.

There is plenty of depth - Glover and Fergeson.

You don't have to be a tub butt to play NT. Glover and Fergy will have a rotation.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
There is plenty of depth - Glover and Fergeson.

You don't have to be a tub butt to play NT. Glover and Fergy will have a rotation.

Fergy goes down and the team is in trouble if they want to run the 3-4 full time. I don't like the 3-4 one bit with a middle of Glover, Dat and Shanle/James.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
junk said:
Fergy goes down and the team is in trouble if they want to run the 3-4 full time. I don't like the 3-4 one bit with a middle of Glover, Dat and Shanle/James.

If there is no rotation with Glover and Fergy, I agree.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spears can play DT in a pinch. Assuming Canty is active, you'd still have a rotation. Carson was a starter for us last year, too, and he's still around. We're deep on the Dline.