What player will be affected most by Phillips

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Offense:
Tony Romo: Will Philips improve our offensive line to give him more time? Maybe draft a young stud receiver for him.

Julius Jones: Will the way we call running plays and use Jones change? Will Phillips fix our oline to create more holes for him?

Marion Barber: Will we use him more? Possibly as the primary back?

Jason Witten: Will we use him more as a receiving threat and less for blocking?

Anthony Fasano: Will Philips allow him bloom in his second year, or will we drop the two tight end formation all together?

Terrell Owens: Will our offense be gameplaned around getting him the ball in situations he can make a difference? I.E. quick slants and WR screens?

Patrick Crayton: Will he become a more pivotal part of our offense?

Defense:
Ware/Greg Ellis: Will he be used to blitz more, and less in coverage making him more useful in the 3-4?

Canty/Spears: Will he use them better as DE in the 3-4? Will they be the first round quality defensive ends we thought they would be?

Bobby Carpenter: will he replace Greg Ellis?

Roy Williams: Will he be used closer to the line this year?

carphalen5150

Reaction score
There are so many different guys to go with...Canty/Spears I am really looking forward to seeing the changes in, but the two guys who most will be affected are DeMarcus Ware and Roy Williams. I would almost say this hire was for these two guys. Ware wil now be put in positions to be the dominant pass rusher I know he can be and Roy will get out of this 3 year funk and play more in the box. This of course is best case scenario, but Wade did say he puts his best players in position to make plays...well those two guys are the best on defense IMO.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
For sure Ware...Roy are obvious answers but I hope Canty, Spears, Burnette etc. will now play up to expectations.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would say our whole front 7, because of the different style of play (1 gap vs. 2 gap). Then again how the front 7 plays effects the secondary.

dboyz

Reaction score
To name just one guy, I would say Spears. I think he fits Wade's scheme much better.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Patrick Watkins, the sky is the limit for this guy with Phillips here to groom him.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
GoinForSix;1374351 said:
Patrick Watkins, the sky is the limit for this guy with Phillips here to groom him.

Not a bad pick at all, with more pressure on the QB lots of fluuter balls or passing before the QB is ready could lead to more opportunities for a fast tall leaping FS.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
dboyz;1374315 said:
To name just one guy, I would say Spears. I think he fits Wade's scheme much better.

I agree but would also like to add 2 other guys. I can't wait to see what Phillips can get out of Canty and Hatcher as well.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
dboyz;1374315 said:

I really hope that you're correct about that. How do you think Spears fits Wade's system better than he did Parcells? I'm being serious... I'm not that familiar with Wade's system, other than simply watching San Diego this year.

In other words... how does Wade use his DE's differently than Bill did? I know Bill was read and react... what whill Wade have him doing? Serious question.

Thanks in advance.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;1374408 said:
I agree but would also like to add 2 other guys. I can't wait to see what Phillips can get out of Canty and Hatcher as well.

I think Hatcher will win a starting spot this season. He's strong as heck and he gets after the QB much better than either Spears or Canty. Even in Bills read and react scheme Hatcher still found ways to pressure the passer. In an attacking scheme, you'd think he'd be all over the QB.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I know the obvious candidates, but I also think that Carpenter will benefit. People forget that he was actually pretty good at rushing the QB (8 sacks his Senior Year rushing from a Down position) his Senior Year at OSU. Add in a full year in the offseason weight program along with Wade taking more advantage of his versatility and I would suspect he will be the player we had hoped for when he was drafted.

Reaction score
300_Merriman101005MNF.jpg

Most affected by Wade Phillips in Dallas

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Are there any players who needed the scowls and pressure from Parcells - players who will not do as well with a more laid back coach?

(e.g., guys prone to getting too heavy, for example?)

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Most of you will laugh, but I'd go out on a limb and say Bradie James. I think he was stretched in our defense because we ran such a bland 3/4. I don't think he'll be so exposed in coverage in this 3/4. :crossed:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
numnuts23;1374468 said:
Most of you will laugh, but I'd go out on a limb and say Bradie James. I think he was stretched in our defense because we ran such a bland 3/4. I don't think he'll be so exposed in coverage in this 3/4. :crossed:

I hope you're correct on that... because James is very close to being a bust in my mind... and with that contract we just signed him to, that isn't a good thing.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
numnuts23;1374468 said:
I was actually about to type that I hope Bradie James is the most affected, but I was thinking that he'd be affected by going from a full-time starter to riding the pine.

Apollo Creed

Reaction score
AsthmaField;1374485 said:
I hope you're correct on that... because James is very close to being a bust in my mind... and with that contract we just signed him to, that isn't a good thing.

He played like a pro bowler for the first 10 weeks of the year, then BPs scheme got exposed.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
GoinForSix;1374495 said:
He played like a pro bowler for the first 10 weeks of the year, then BPs scheme got exposed.
Or you could say he played like an average player for the first 10 weeks until teams realized that they could exploit him on a consistent basis.

Apollo Creed

Reaction score
theogt;1374507 said:
Or you could say he played like an average player for the first 10 weeks until teams realized that they could exploit him on a consistent basis.

Saints game did us in. Teams saw that we rely heavily on one on one match ups so they would just isolate our guys, get them in space, and tear us apart. James however played very well IMHO the first half of the year, but down the stretch he looked like a rookie.