What positions will Dallas avoid during the draft?

nathanlt

Reaction score
There so much talk of players Dallas might draft, I think that the positions that are unlikely to be drafted are...

Running back... 3 solid options with Julius Jones, Marion Barber and Tyson Thompson

DE, We have Ellis, Spears, Canty, who can't get enough playing time.

DT, we have Glover, Ratliff, Ferguson and Pepper Johnson

I think our D-Line is set.

Cornerback is locked up for at least 2 years with Newman, Henry, and Glenn
Backups are performing decently when called upon.

Hard Hitting, non ballhawk safety. We have Roy, Davis and Beriault... We don't need further depth at that point.

Quarterback, as much as I'd prefer to see a young promising starter rise to be a leader for the next 10 years, Parcells is not the kind to start over with a new quarterback. At this stage in his coaching career, he just doesn't have the patience for a new QB.

TE, with Witten, Campbell leading the way, and Pierce performing decently, I don't think we need much help here.

That's about it, I don't expect any of these positions to be addressed in the draft, it would just overload a position so that we'd need to cut a promising, or proven player.

FB, OL, WR on the offensive side, and LB or ballhawk safety on the defense. I think if we get some free agents at these positions, we'd still be looking for more help in the draft.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I'd say we wont draft a QB or RB, nor do I think we'll take a DE or a CB (unless its a CB who can move over to safety)....dont think we'll be drafting a kicker or punter either

I do think they could be looking at a true NT at some point...Glover probably wont be here and Ferguson was a disappointment last yr and is getting way up there in age...Pepper Johnson isnt very big either...LB's will always be targets when you play this scheme...FS is a need as is WR...the OL has to be upgraded and depending on what happens with Campbell TE could be a target on day two

David

Bizwah

Reaction score
I don't think we'll "avoid" any position...with the possible exception of K or P.

The past few drafts we've taken the BPA.....a strategy I'm really beginning to like.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Its been noted that Spencer played NT his freshman year at Pitt. At 352 lbs, he would certainly clog up the middle.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Its been noted that Spencer played NT his freshman year at Pitt. At 352 lbs, he would certainly clog up the middle.

Don't let Nors see this.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
I don't think we'll "avoid" any position...with the possible exception of K or P.

The past few drafts we've taken the BPA.....a strategy I'm really beginning to like.

What if the BPA in round one is a running back? We're loaded at that position right now.

Bizwah

Reaction score
nathanlt said:
What if the BPA in round one is a running back? We're loaded at that position right now.

I don't think any of our RBs right now are irreplacable. I would, however, look for a trade. But if RB is CLEARLY better than any other position, then you take him.

Reaction score
The draft will depend on what positions the Cowboys sure up through free agency, so I would definitely put Free Safety on the list, because as it stands now there is NO obvious choice on the current roster.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
I don't think any of our RBs right now are irreplacable. I would, however, look for a trade. But if RB is CLEARLY better than any other position, then you take him.

It's tough to make a trade for any value when the other team knows you will likely be forced to release the player anyway.