CFZ What Pre-season games CAN and CAN’T show us

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
No matter what is said about preseason games, you can count on some fans to panic about a lost season tonight once Ben DiNucci overthrows KeVonatae Turpin, or if Amon Simon and Braylon Jones miss a block, or if Quandre Mosely blows a coverage and gives up the Broncos' go ahead touchdown tonight.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Apparently, tonight's first preseason game showed us a lot. It must be August, again. :popcorn:

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
For sure. We can almost guarantee there will be overreactions both ways after tonight’s game. “_____ is going to a beast” or “is a wasted pick”, etc.

What also should be remembered is neither team is game planning or using their best personnel packages or new plays or formations. The playbook will be as vanilla as they come.

17 penalties, and it does show you because Jones are relying on the backups to play starter roles.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Preseason games CAN show me that Cooper Rush is a slug - and that Ben DiNucci has WAY more upside. It can - and DID - show me THAT.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Watching preseason games can be fun, even if the quality of play is not that great. So I say enjoy the action. Just be aware that PS games are not always an accurate measure of how prepped many young players are for the regular season

I just look for the "it" factor for the player. Can they win plays? Does it look like they get it on the field? Is there some semblance of a intelligence, and can they show the ability to not only use power, but also technique and smarts.

e.g. Tyler Smith. I think he is showing the power, but can he also show the technique with his hands, and can he adjust to what his happening in the game. So far I like what I see. I hope to see better hand placement from him as his career progresses.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Cowboys are the Cowboys. The structure never changes, only the employees. Expecting anything more than this structure has given us for 26 years is false hope.

But, by all means, overreact to preseason encounters. It changes nothing, but can serve as a good source of psychological venting before another disappointing year.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
It shows me who Cowboys are protecting and who they are on fence about.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It shows me who Cowboys are protecting and who they are on fence about.

In most PS game situations, the guys playing are the ones who either won’t make the team, or if they do, will not be counted on for much more than STs.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
The only thing certain is that you don't want to go undefeated in the preseason.

The 2017 Cleveland Browns went 4-0 and proceeded to go 0-16 in the regular season.
The 2008 Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the preseason and proceeded to go 0-16 in the regular season.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only thing certain is that you don't want to go undefeated in the preseason.

The 2017 Cleveland Browns went 4-0 and proceeded to go 0-16 in the regular season.
The 2008 Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the preseason and proceeded to go 0-16 in the regular season.
Remember the 1989 Cowboys preseason? Cowboys went 3-1 and after winning their 4th and final ps game on the games last play, Jerry and Jimmy ran off the field like they had won something.

They finished the reg season 1-15.

PS games are rarely anything beyond a glorified scrimmage with no game plan, few if any starters seeing much PT, and a prayer no one gets hurt.