What qualified Aikman to be a GM?

Dre11

Reaction score
And he was right. I remember comments like yours,. But were you aware LeFluer had to take these ridiculous shots in the back just to get on the field. His skill set was not the problem. His degenerative back issues were.

Come on Dre, you were there. You surely saw the articles on LaFluer.

And why would Troy endorse him if he went specifically and had a work out with the guy and threw him passes? Do you truly believe Troy can't recognize talent?

That 95 Super Bowl was as much Aikman leading the team than Switzer. I think he was built for this job.

"So everyone here in Dallas thinks I picked David LaFleur over Tony Gonzalez,” Aikman later told Grantland, explaining that he had merely been on board with LaFleur if that was the pick. “That couldn’t be further from the truth. They never asked me, ‘Which one do you want?’

“And then Tony went on to do what he did.”

Cover 2 - A Podcast on the Cleveland Browns

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
And he was right. I remember comments like yours,. But were you aware LeFluer had to take these ridiculous shots in the back just to get on the field. His skill set was not the problem. His degenerative back issues were.

Come on Dre, you were there. You surely saw the articles on LaFluer.

And why would Troy endorse him if he went specifically and had a work out with the guy and threw him passes? Do you truly believe Troy can't recognize talent?

That 95 Super Bowl was as much Aikman leading the team than Switzer. I think he was built for this job.

LaFleur was not a bad player. Had like seven touchdowns in 1999, then the back issues started. He was pretty much a complete TE prospect, but he had the misfortune of joining a dying dynasty and then got hurt.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong i love the guy but he hasnt coached at any level. I know people think we need a GM but how does being a player or an announcer quslify someone to be a GM? How well did Elaway do at GM?

I would think you would want a GM to come out of the player evaluation area of the business or from experienced coaches

One of the best GMs I have ever seen is Ozzie Newsome. He was a former player for the Cleveland Browns. He was never a Coach either.

Elway is not done so it's difficult to answer that question.

erod

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong i love the guy but he hasnt coached at any level. I know people think we need a GM but how does being a player or an announcer quslify someone to be a GM? How well did Elaway do at GM?

I would think you would want a GM to come out of the player evaluation area of the business or from experienced coaches
Nothing really qualifies him.

But better him than Jerry and Stephen.

stinkface

Reaction score
John Lynch is handling SF as the GM and doing damn well. He also had no experience but he listens and he is smart. Smart people make smart decisions. Aikman is pretty darn smart.

Dre11

Reaction score
LaFleur was not a bad player. Had like seven touchdowns in 1999, then the back issues started. He was pretty much a complete TE prospect, but he had the misfortune of joining a dying dynasty and then got hurt.

then why would Aikman be backtracking as if he didn't endorsing him?

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Lafluer wasn't good even before his issues. troy also tries to backtrack later and said they never asked him about Lafluer, that tells me he thought it was a mistake afterwards too
Name me one guy who’s 100% right all of the time?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
then why would Aikman be backtracking as if he didn't endorsing him?

Because people are making it sound like Aikman lobbied for LaFleur over Tony Gonzalez; which wasn't the case. And even if he did, Gonzalez was off the board, Dallas still needed a tight end, and they went with LaFleur.

Dre11

Reaction score
Because people are making it sound like Aikman lobbied for LaFleur over Tony Gonzalez; which wasn't the case. And even if he did, Gonzalez was off the board, Dallas still needed a tight end, and they went with LaFleur.

it's because it's who he wanted after Aikman worked them both out according to Jerry Jones.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

What qualified Stephen Jones to be Executive Vice President, CEO, and Director of Player Personnel?

bsbellomy

Reaction score

Same thing was said about John Lynch as a new GM.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
It’s a good question....I don’t know,what makes anyone qualified? I know i don’t have any GM trading cards with their credentials on the back. Like I thought Will McClay was some old white guy when he first got job...looool!! I don’t know most of these guys in FO jobs,”Nooooo! They picked Bob Harrywinkle from Ford!!” I don’t know really what makes a good one vs bad,other than common sense or a lack thereof. I know Aikman is very detailed and prepared with lots information at hand. He’s a perfectionist,but I couldn’t say other than his character....he doesn’t like to fail,and highly doubt something he would do if he didn’t already know he could handle it. That’s about it...doesn’t guarantee you anything,but Bob Harrywinkle doesn’t either.

cern

Reaction score
What qualified Stephen Jones to be Executive Vice President, CEO, and Director of Player Personnel?
He grew up in the biz. Now he's among the best. Good at the finances of cap management. Listens to mcclay. Doesn't fall in love with players. He had little authority early in his career. But he is beginning to wield it now. Deservedly so.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

How’s the guy in SF doing? What was his experience before concluding a very short process in SF? Elway looked like genius when he had a QB.

Personally I think Troy would be great. He’s a winner. Knows the league. Respected. Passionate. Knows the game.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I don't get the question.

He has the same credentials as say John Elway.

If he wants to try it, go for it.

I will tell you this.

He is far more qualified than Jerry Jones or his progeny for the title of NFL GM.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

You dont need to have been a coach to be a GM. Not sure if he is qualified but it's about how you run a football team, organization, process and li es of authority. Hiring right people, holding them accountable. Giving them the responsibilities.

Dont need to have designed plays. Run coaches meetings. Called ays. Etc. Most front office people have never played the game at professional level.

Swanny

Reaction score

What qualified John Lynch and Mike Mayock to become a GM?

khiladi

Reaction score
Elway won a SB. For his first 5 years his teams averaged 11 wins per season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nothing. It is a dumb narrative that some fans/media like to push.