What Should Happen at the Top of the Draft

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I’m really surprised by how averse people are about Chicago going QB at #1.

It has nothing to do with me viewing Justin Fields as a bust, that’s internet hyperbole. You don’t move on from a player only because he’s a bust. If Philly offered DeVonta Smith straight up for Christian Kirk, does Jacksonville say no (financials ignored)? They had similar seasons, similar stats. But of course Jacksonville does it; DeVonta is substantially the better prospect, much younger and has far more potential. That philosophy works in every position, you want the best possible player with the highest upside. Why does it not work at QB more than any?

Has Fields earned a giant longterm deal yet? Does he look like he’s about to explode for an MVP-contention season or lead the Bears to the division title next year? No, he had some really good moments in 2022, but his worth to Chicago is still based almost entirely on future projection. He is still a prospect. Having said that, If Justin Fields were in this draft, he would not be the top prospect, he would not even be a top 2 QB. Maybe not even top 3 depending on how high you are with Levis.

Stroud and Young are hands down better prospects at the most important position in professional sports. Trying to get a 1 for Fields and drafting Stroud should be the slam dunk move. Doesn’t mean Fields is a bust by any means. Just about making the team as good as possible.
You think Shroud and Young are better prospects? Neither has Fields size or athleticism. Shroud has a better arm I guess but for the most part underwhelmed me at Ohio State with best group of receivers since Chase and Jefferson at LSU. Young is so small. Could he be better version of Murray? I guess but that is a huge gamble. I don’t envy Chicago one bit.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You think Shroud and Young are better prospects? Neither has Fields size or athleticism. Shroud has a better arm I guess but for the most part underwhelmed me at Ohio State with best group of receivers since Chase and Jefferson at LSU. Young is so small. Could he be better version of Murray? I guess but that is a huge gamble. I don’t envy Chicago one bit.
I’m not a big proponent of physical traits on a QB. They’re nice but not primary concerns. And I think the height thing has become less and less of a factor over the last decade. Brees, Wilson, Kyler, Vick, Jalen… Accuracy and decision making overtake everything else in my opinion, and I think they are superior prospects in that regard to Fields

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I’m not a big proponent of physical traits on a QB. They’re nice but not primary concerns. And I think the height thing has become less and less of a factor over the last decade. Brees, Wilson, Kyler, Vick, Jalen… Accuracy and decision making overtake everything else in my opinion, and I think they are superior prospects in that regard to Fields

I hear you. I just don’t see Young surviving in the cold of Chicago. Both are superior with accuracy to Fields. I just don’t like how Shroud played during the regular season with Ohio State. I was expecting a Burrow type of season. He was impressive against Georgia though.

MAZEREZAM

Reaction score
Except Arizona just did it
Ok, that one slipped my mind. Rosen wasn’t a team guy. Arizona (and all his other teams) couldn’t move on from him fast enough. He totally flamed out. It’s really rare for a team to give up on a 1st round QB that fast and I don’t see the same issues with Fields. There’s also no QB who is such a huge upgrade over Fields that it would make sense to draft again.