What the DJ bashing is REALLY motivated by...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Horns Hatred, plain and simple...

2 years ago, Horns Haters were telling us how Quintin Jammer is overrated... last year, they were telling us how Roy Williams is overrated...

Every year, the Horns Haters come out of the woodwork to trash any Longhorns draft prospect... it's like a knee-jerk reaction, they just can't help themselves...

Sorry, Horns Haters, but there's a REASON why DJ is the top-rated LB on most boards, and the top rated defensive player regardless of position on some others... just like there's a reason he won the Butkus and Nagurski Awards this offseason:

He's very, very good...

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Johnson has holes in his game that need to be worked on like all rookies, but I don't really see what's not to like with him. Throughout the college football season, this was a guy fans here would routinely say "man, he's look good with a star on his helmet." I've seen nothing since then to change my opinion of that.

But I'm not entirely sure there's 'Horn Hatred' going on here, because if you look around, EVERY top prospect is being referred to as 'overrated' by some segment of this board.

I've seen it for Rodgers, Alex Smith, Benson, Johnson, Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards, Merriman, Spears, etc etc etc.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I don't get it. Where is all this supposed DJ hatred? I haven't seen it.

SB, I did see even you make a post that was critical of DJ, that doesn't mean you hate the Horns.

Horns hatred has nothing to do with it. It has to do with facts. I like DJ and would be thrilled if we got him at #11, but I'm not so blind to think his game is spotless. He has some weaknesses. One of them being tackling. Yes he does miss a lot of tackles. I can live with that cuz I know a coach like Parcells would correct that problem.

But don't just fall back on the "it's cuz of the Horns hatred" thing. That may be the case with some, but with most I think the opinions are genuine, and not motivated by any Horns hatred.

Hoffa

Benched
Reaction score
2 years ago, Horns Haters were telling us how Quintin Jammer is overrated... last year, they were telling us how Roy Williams is overrated...

They sure missed on that one :rolleyes:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Quentin Jammer was overrated. And he is currently overrated.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
SB, You have 730 posts and this has to be the worst of the lot.

I am not sure where the Horns as victims class is taught but it must be good.

I do not think anyone really hates UT. OU has been beating them, ATM has other problems, ARK gives them all they can handle and more.

Where is all this hate supposed to be?
Show me all the posts a single person made bashing all these guys?
Certianly there are people that legitimately feel on a player by player basis various of those guys were good or bad.

UT has put out a ton of NFL talent and they have had their big time hits and their busts as most schools do. I havent seen anyone claiming UT has a Penn ST RB syndrome of any kind.
Anyone claiming UT guys are all good or all bad coming out will flat be wrong.

silverbear

Reaction score
jterrell said:
SB, You have 730 posts and this has to be the worst of the lot.

You'll excuse me if I don't get too upset at your opinion any more... I'm not real impressed with the abuse you've fed me in some of YOUR posts these last few hours...

I do not think anyone really hates UT. OU has been beating them, ATM has other problems, ARK gives them all they can handle and more.

Oh no, there are no Horns Haters anywhere to be found... RIIIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHTTTTT... nobody EVER refers to them as "Whorns", for example-- I made that up...

Where is all this hate supposed to be?

Well, here's a good example-- in another argument elsewhere, a poster noted how DJ "always disappears" against OU...

A quick check of the facts shows that last year against OU, he had SIXTEEN tackles, and an interception... his junior year, he "only' had 9 tackles... his sophomore year, "just" 12 tackles and another int... and as a freshman, he had a "mere" 8 tackles...

By my reckoning, that's one GREAT game against the Sooners, another really good game, and two mediocre-to-good games... not ONE of them could realistically be classified as "disappearing", and taken as a sum, they paint a picture of a guy who routinely played really well against Oklahoma...

Show me all the posts a single person made bashing all these guys?

Since you apparently sent your sense of humor on vacation, permit me to explain myself more fully... first off, I've only been on THIS board for about a year or less, so obviously I didn't read any criticisms of Jammer and Roy in here...

Clearly, then, mine was a generic observation, and one that is quite true-- each and every year for the last 3 years, I have waded through threads about how Jammer was overrated, how Roy was overrated, and now, how DJ is overrated...

Well, Jammer became the starter for the Chargers 3 games into his rookie season, and has started the next 46 games... sure doesn't sound like the Chargers feel like he's overrated... and of course, Roy was pretty close to brilliant for the Lions in his rookie season...

Every year, the Horns' best players get trashed by some folks, and usually those folks don't have their facts straight... to me, that is indeed "playa hating"...

The thing is, you took a generic comment that was intended to be humorous, and took it personally... I have no idea how you felt about Jammer and Williams, so I obviously don't know if you're one of those "haters"...

That does not mean the phenomenon does not exist...

Certianly there are people that legitimately feel on a player by player basis various of those guys were good or bad.

Of course there are... and there are some Horns Haters out there... over on the Cowboys Forum board, one of them is a moderator name of TMcgee... he's one of my best friends in there, I like the guy a lot, and I like jerkin' his chain, too...

Anyone claiming UT guys are all good or all bad coming out will flat be wrong.

We don't disagree there... and of course, not every player the Horns sent out to be drafted is actually good...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Horns Hatred, plain and simple...

Quintin Jammer was overrated.

Every year, the Horns Haters come out of the woodwork to trash any Longhorns draft prospect... it's like a knee-jerk reaction, they just can't help themselves...

Sorry, Horns Haters, but there's a REASON why DJ is the top-rated LB on most boards, and the top rated defensive player regardless of position on some others... just like there's a reason he won the Butkus and Nagurski Awards this offseason:

He's great. He practically invented a new way to cause fumbles. It's an upward swing that pops the balll out, rather than your typicle tomahawk chop. It's a totally different technique, he practically invented it and he set a NCAA record using it to cause fumbles in a season - 9 - along with 130
tackles (73 solo), 19 TFLs, 10 pressures, eight PBUs.

This guy is a great great player and could be moved to safety and play great, just like Roy Williams would be a great LB.

Almost the same player with Roy Hitting a bit harder making the difference.

silverbear

Reaction score
Rereading this entire thread here this evening, it has struck me that maybe I oughta clarify my original post a bit, because some of you have gotten upset over not much of anything... I refer to my use of the term "Horns Haters"...

I thought most sports fans knew what the term "hater" means, when used in the context of a college rivalry... basically, fans of one team are supposed to "hate" their big rival-- Auburn fans "hate" Alabama, and vice-versa; Florida State fans "hate" Miami, and vice versa...

And Horns fans "hate" the Aggies and the Sooners, Aggies and Sooners fans "hate" the Horns...

Best of all, Horns Haters is alliterative, and no would-be writer can resist THAT...

But except for a few sick bastidges, the "hate" isn't real, it's all in FUN...

We Horns fans often refer to Oklahoma as "OUSucks", the Aggies as "ATM", and their fans like to call Texas the "Whorns"... it's all SMACK talk, and meant lightheartedly...

Continuing in that theme, be advised that all I'm doing here is making a FOOTBALL argument... seriously, why in God's name would I get upset because some guys on a football board don't think a lot of a really good player?? It ain't like anything we say is gonna affect his prospects in the NFL, he'll sink or swim on his own ability...

And I really don't understand why anybody would get upset about a FOOTBALL argument... really, I don't... yeah, this thread was intended as a smack thread (and it was appropriate that it was moved in here), but it was intended as a FUN smack talk thread, and even when it degenerated into a football argument, I was still just having a good time... and though I'm a long way from thin-skinned, and have in fact been in more than my fair share of flame wars, I was kinda surprise when I started gettin' angry insults in response...

Over on the Cowboys Forum, one of the moderators is TMcgee, who sports a Sooners avatar, and regularly likes to gig the two big Horns fans in there-- myself and a guy name of SouthernStar... now, McGee is this big goof, but every time he goes down that road, SS acts like you just tried to sleep with his 12 year old sister (or his dog)... he just about goes postal... meanwhile, I'm merrily swappin' insult for insult with a good friend, who I know is just playin'...

I guess what I'm tryin' to say is some of y'all-- I won't name any names here, but it's not just the participants in this particular thread to date-- really need to lighten up...

And oh yeah, Derrick Johnson has multiple Pro Bowls in his future, perhaps even future enshrinement in Canton to look forward to... and any of you who don't agree with that, well, you're all *!@#!!...

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
silverbear said:
A quick check of the facts shows that last year against OU, he had SIXTEEN tackles, and an interception...

DJ's a good player. But that was a BOGUS interception! :D

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
SB,
Also let me address this after a few days.

You are a good poster.
I am aware that college rivalries are fun-filled but can get nasty and that those things can color opinions.

All that said your initial post was all-inclusive and generally directed at 2 or 3 people on this forum who haven't shown themselves to be Horns haters or even to dislike Texas which was my problem with the thread and the post.

My takes on players does not generally get influenced at all by which school they attended except possibly to cause me to be harder on Pac 10 guys.

DJ is very much a Pac 10 type player IMO. Thats why I would rate him slightly lower than most. I do not see a pure speed and finesse game as traits I want in a LB. I want my LB to be half crazy, living to hurt people with vicious hits and tough as nails. Guys like Singletary, Butkus, Ray Lewis.

But I haven't seen anyone here suggest DJ is not 1st round material. IF that happens then I could understand some of the defensiveness but saying a guy has been rated about 10 slots too high is not "hating" on the guy.

DJ's defenders are putting themselves out on shaky limbs. The guys saying he is overrated are agreeing that he is a good NFL starter but the backers are acting like he makes the Pro bowl next year as a rookie. Thats a tough road to hoe.

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Thats a tough road to hoe.

Actually, the saying is "row". Not too many farmers I know plant their crops directly on a road, tends to produce low yields don't'cha know??

;)

BTW... Hook 'em Horns!!!

:p:

silverbear

Reaction score
jterrell said:
SB,
Also let me address this after a few days.

You are a good poster.
I am aware that college rivalries are fun-filled but can get nasty and that those things can color opinions.

All that said your initial post was all-inclusive and generally directed at 2 or 3 people on this forum who haven't shown themselves to be Horns haters or even to dislike Texas which was my problem with the thread and the post.

And now that we're not snarling at each other, I'd invite you to go back and reread my initial post in this thread... this time, keep open the POSSIBILITY that it was entirely tongue-in-cheek... see if you can't detect a merry hint of mischief...

I mean, I thought the first line in it was downright Dan Jenkins-esque... "Horns Hatred, plain and simple"...

I was just havin' a little goof, playing on all the DJ threads... seriously... you just took it way too seriously...

Which is OK, but now that I've explained myself I do kinda hope we can move on...