what the heck is a "walk off" homerun?

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
does it mean a homerun that makes everybody walk off because the game is over??

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yep.

I think Dennis Eckersly really kind of made it a popular term after he gave up Kirk Gibson's home run. He basically said there was nothing to do other than walk off the field.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
cowboys#1 said:
does it mean a homerun that makes everybody walk off because the game is over??

In baseball, a walk-off home run is a home run that ends the game. It must be a home run that gives the home team the lead in the bottom of the 9th inning or the bottom of any extra inning. It is called a "walk-off" home run because the teams walk off the field immediately afterward. Sportscasters will also use the term "walk-off double" or other such terms if such a hit drives in the winning run to end the game. Although the concept is as old as baseball, the term itself has come into use only in the last several decades.

jay cee

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
In baseball, a walk-off home run is a home run that ends the game. It must be a home run that gives the home team the lead in the bottom of the 9th inning or the bottom of any extra inning. It is called a "walk-off" home run because the teams walk off the field immediately afterward. Sportscasters will also use the term "walk-off double" or other such terms if such a hit drives in the winning run to end the game. Although the concept is as old as baseball, the term itself has come into use only in the last several decades.
I don't think I had ever heard the term until about 5 years ago, when it seemed like ESPN sportscasters started using it in almost every highlight, whether it was baseball, football, basketball, hockey or even Nascar.