What the last 23 years has done to our fan base

Blackrain

Reaction score
Could be, but we as fans have absolutely no idea what Moore will be/do as OC. I sure hope this org has inside info that indicates success.
When he was QB coach I was critical and thought Jerry was just taking the cheap way out and should have gone with a more proven coach but now that he was made OC I want to think there has to be something special about him .

Im trying to stay positive as he is an unknown and like with most things Cowboy we just have to let it play out

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I love all fans and accept that many are going to see it differently than I. Place gets boring w/o the movers and shakers.
My wife is a great Cowboy fan, pretty informed , mostly positive and enjoys the games as much as I do but it’s not as serious although my intensity has lessened in recent years when I stopped attending. She doesn’t even have to watch all the games although she does mainly because I do. But she hadn’t planned her life around Cowboys Football.

My brother another great fan and wants to win enjoying as well but it’s not the priority I’ve made in my life not missing a game now going on now 54 years. I’m even kinda of embarrassed to tell that outside of Cowboy fans because it’s like what..you haven’t missed a game for how long. Lol

But there are different level of fandoms. I see it following my Alma Mater with some Alumni who attend all the games at home and on the road. They contribute financially to the school, have scholarships, etc. I call them more serious or devoted fans. I saw it when I used to travel with the Cowboys. Some went to every game. I simply didn’t have the time or monetary means to commit as much as they did.

And that’s a big part of it. Some of us actually have more time and means to dedicate to our favorite passions much like I’d compare a weekend duffer to a guy who dedicates 3 or 4 days a week to the Links. Some of us simply put more into it because that’s our choice. It doesn’t mean we love it anymore or less.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
When he was QB coach I was critical and thought Jerry was just taking the cheap way out and should have gone with a more proven coach but now that he was made OC I want to think there has to be something special about him .

Im trying to stay positive as he is an unknown and like with most things Cowboy we just have to let it play out

What did most know about Norv Turner before he came to Dallas? 6 years with the Rams, but Zampese was the main driver of the offense for most of those 6 years, Norv had a hand in that, but it's not like he was the hottest thing in quarterback coaches at the time. But we all know what happened after he got to Dallas.

Maybe lightning can strike twice??

ESisback

Reaction score
My wife is a great Cowboy fan, pretty informed , mostly positive and enjoys the games as much as I do but it’s not as serious although my intensity has lessened in recent years when I stopped attending. She doesn’t even have to watch all the games although she does mainly because I do. But she hadn’t planned her life around Cowboys Football.

My brother another great fan and wants to win enjoying as well but it’s not the priority I’ve made in my life not missing a game now going on now 54 years. I’m even kinda of embarrassed to tell that outside of Cowboy fans because it’s like what..you haven’t missed a game for how long. Lol

But there are different level of fandoms. I see it following my Alma Mater with some Alumni who attend all the games at home and on the road. They contribute financially to the school, have scholarships, etc. I call them more serious or devoted fans. I saw it when I used to travel with the Cowboys. Some went to every game. I simply didn’t have the time or monetary means to commit as much as they did.

And that’s a big part of it. Some of us actually have more time and means to dedicate to our favorite passions much like I’d compare a weekend duffer to a guy who dedicates 3 or 4 days a week to the Links. Some of us simply put more into it because that’s our choice. It doesn’t mean we love it anymore or less.

A lot of us have SO MANY things vying for our attention. Sometimes I feel “watered down”!

75boyz

Reaction score
Esp when they scream and whine that their opinion is fact.

And then you counter with empirical evidence to disprove their argument and they are left with calling you a hater/whiner.

All the while self serving their hidden personal agenda that "their opinion is the only right opinion" and if you disagree you're wrong.

And then to top it off, claim a holier than thou status as to their own skewed self perception of themselves by continuing to point out how a matter of opinion can only be articulated their way.

Cue the I'm a hater/whiner attacks...3, 2, 1. Lol. Just too funny.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
First of all...not everything about the last 23 years is bad. In fact, the last several years this organization has greatly improved in drafting and talent acquisition, and this FO has clearly learned from its numerous previous mistakes in cap and roster management. Three of the last five seasons have yielded division titles and two wild card wins. That’s....well not great. But it could have been worse.

However...the last 23 years has been tough for most Cowboys fans. Three wild card wins. No conference championship games, no SBs. Especially tough for the long time fans who remember what it meant to have the realistic confidence your team would have a shot at winning it all.

Some perspective for either young fans or those who have forgotten:
  • The Cowboys played in 5 of the first 13 SBs, and played in 8 of the first 30 SBs.
  • The Cowboys have played in zero of the last 23 SBs.
  • In the 29 years of the Tex Schramm/Tom Landry era, the Cowboys won 20 playoff games. In the 30 seasons of the Jerry Jones era, the Cowboys have won 15 playoff games, 12 of them in the first 7 seasons.
  • In the 26 seasons from 1970-1995, the Cowboys played in 13 NFC Championship games. In the 23 seasons since, ZERO.
So what does a 23 year drought do to a fan base who has been disappointed year after year? What happens to the expectations and dreams those fans? Here are a few things I see:
  • We lower expectations. Most long time fans just lowered the bar we used to have. If we make the playoffs, great, but if not, it’s not a shock. It a way to soften the disappointment.
  • We long for real leadership at the top- especially at HC since we all know Jerry has a lifetime commitment to playing fantasy football. It’s why we believe in every rumor that Sean Payton is coming here or some other top HC talent. Because we desperately want some quality at the top.
  • We get used to accepting excuses- Jerry even makes excuses. Remember when he called a loss a “moral victory”? He has to be the only GM in the league that can do that. This isn’t little league or middle school sports where learning things like the fundamentals, teamwork and sportsmanship are more important than winning. I’m still amazed at the excuses our fan base throws out for losses, especially in the playoffs.
  • We blame the refs or the NFL for our losses- Most fans don’t want to hear this, but one symptom of continual disappointment is to blame others outside the team. It’s understandable in Dallas because our leader hold neither himself nor his nepotistic family members accountable for failure. Nothing changes at the top so fans start blaming people outside the team.
  • We rip each other- I’m amazed at how much some Cowboys fans rip other Cowboys fans for not drinking the Kool aid or not being cheerleaders for the team in all circumstances. I’ve noticed the fan bases of teams that have had some recent success are more accepting of dissent than those who get used to losing or mediocrity. My bro in law lives in Denver and is a broncos fan. They won a SB a few years ago and their fan base is not as critical
There are surely more “symptoms” that are associated with 23 straight years of poor bottom line performance.

What can we do?
  • Stick together- allow anyone who’s a Cowboys fan to be a fan any way they want.
  • Blame Jerry, not each other- none of us is to blame for the last 23 years. The guy who purchased his position as GM is to blame.
  • Keep hope/ditch the kool aid- I hate what’s happened to us but I still have hope. Despite the 76 yo clown in charge we do have some talent. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. And we should all be united to boo the image of Jerral Wayne Jones every time his surgically altered face is in public. Don’t buy what he is selling.

The problem is you have a bunch of homers that like to buy anything Jerry sells them.

Some fans do not care about winning. They just care about homering and waving their pom poms.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The problem is you have a bunch of homers that like to buy anything Jerry sells them.

Some fans do not care about winning. They just care about homering and waving their pom poms.
This doesn't make sense to me. Just my opinion, but first, what's wrong if fans want to show support unconditionally? Especially since no fan has any control over the product.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fo·rum
/ˈfôrəm/

noun

1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

A forum is by definition, a place for ideas to be shared. Never ceases to amaze me how the sharing of opposing views is bad or somehow makes any one particular fan here a “bad fan”.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
First of all...not everything about the last 23 years is bad. In fact, the last several years this organization has greatly improved in drafting and talent acquisition, and this FO has clearly learned from its numerous previous mistakes in cap and roster management. Three of the last five seasons have yielded division titles and two wild card wins. That’s....well not great. But it could have been worse.

However...the last 23 years has been tough for most Cowboys fans. Three wild card wins. No conference championship games, no SBs. Especially tough for the long time fans who remember what it meant to have the realistic confidence your team would have a shot at winning it all.

Some perspective for either young fans or those who have forgotten:
  • The Cowboys played in 5 of the first 13 SBs, and played in 8 of the first 30 SBs.
  • The Cowboys have played in zero of the last 23 SBs.
  • In the 29 years of the Tex Schramm/Tom Landry era, the Cowboys won 20 playoff games. In the 30 seasons of the Jerry Jones era, the Cowboys have won 15 playoff games, 12 of them in the first 7 seasons.
  • In the 26 seasons from 1970-1995, the Cowboys played in 13 NFC Championship games. In the 23 seasons since, ZERO.
So what does a 23 year drought do to a fan base who has been disappointed year after year? What happens to the expectations and dreams those fans? Here are a few things I see:
  • We lower expectations. Most long time fans just lowered the bar we used to have. If we make the playoffs, great, but if not, it’s not a shock. It a way to soften the disappointment.
  • We long for real leadership at the top- especially at HC since we all know Jerry has a lifetime commitment to playing fantasy football. It’s why we believe in every rumor that Sean Payton is coming here or some other top HC talent. Because we desperately want some quality at the top.
  • We get used to accepting excuses- Jerry even makes excuses. Remember when he called a loss a “moral victory”? He has to be the only GM in the league that can do that. This isn’t little league or middle school sports where learning things like the fundamentals, teamwork and sportsmanship are more important than winning. I’m still amazed at the excuses our fan base throws out for losses, especially in the playoffs.
  • We blame the refs or the NFL for our losses- Most fans don’t want to hear this, but one symptom of continual disappointment is to blame others outside the team. It’s understandable in Dallas because our leader hold neither himself nor his nepotistic family members accountable for failure. Nothing changes at the top so fans start blaming people outside the team.
  • We rip each other- I’m amazed at how much some Cowboys fans rip other Cowboys fans for not drinking the Kool aid or not being cheerleaders for the team in all circumstances. I’ve noticed the fan bases of teams that have had some recent success are more accepting of dissent than those who get used to losing or mediocrity. My bro in law lives in Denver and is a broncos fan. They won a SB a few years ago and their fan base is not as critical
There are surely more “symptoms” that are associated with 23 straight years of poor bottom line performance.

What can we do?
  • Stick together- allow anyone who’s a Cowboys fan to be a fan any way they want.
  • Blame Jerry, not each other- none of us is to blame for the last 23 years. The guy who purchased his position as GM is to blame.
  • Keep hope/ditch the kool aid- I hate what’s happened to us but I still have hope. Despite the 76 yo clown in charge we do have some talent. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. And we should all be united to boo the image of Jerral Wayne Jones every time his surgically altered face is in public. Don’t buy what he is selling.
Great post brother!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This doesn't make sense to me. Just my opinion, but first, what's wrong if fans want to show support unconditionally? Especially since no fan has any control over the product.
Nothing wrong with that at all. I have no problem with any fan who chooses to buy what Jerry is selling. I do have a problem when some of those fans attack those of us who are Cowboys fans who aren’t buying the Jerry sales job every year. Co-existence is possible and still be Cowboys fans, lol.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that at all. I have no problem with any fan who chooses to buy what Jerry is selling. I do have a problem when some of those fans attack those of us who are Cowboys fans who aren’t buying the Jerry sales job every year. Co-existence is possible and still be Cowboys fans, lol.
Attacking fans who choose to NOT support Jerry's goods seems a little dramatic, but I tend to gloss over stuff like that I guess. I couldn't care less what a fan chooses to do really, doesn't effect me. I do have a touch of an issue with SOME fantasy football fans because it sometimes seems they care more about individual players and not their team, but it's whatever. Either way, labeling someone a good or bad fan is pretty silly.

75boyz

Reaction score

Co existing while disagreeing. It CAN be done.

I disagree with the following title holders of the Cowboys organization and hold them to varying degrees accountable of the Cowboys overall lack of success:
1. Owner/General Manager titleholder
2. Head Coach title holder
3. Starting Quarterback title holder

This is not to say that I dislike these title holders as human beings or men on a personal level. I can find many strong attributes in their individual character. As for the titles that they hold and how they perform as those title holders, I am not only critical but quite pessimistic of seeing improvement if all 3 remain in place.

That's my transparent agenda.

And "unpopular (with some) opinion."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But fans cumulatively do ultimately have control much like we do any product or entity we patronage . They just haven’t excercised it to an extent that will make a difference.

Continuing to support Jerry and the Cowboys is, however indirectly, providing Jerry a stamp of approval to continue. We are all guilty to some degree.

There’s nothing wrong with it as long as we admit we are part of the problem if we’re sincerley looking for a solution.

My wife always says, we are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

While I’ve taken great strides to be less of the problem , I still am regrettably. I’m a Cowboy junkie. I can’t completely walk away. Jerry thanks us and I flip him off all the way to the bank.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

There’s also a big portion of fans who are Cowboy Junkies. We hate how Jerry runs our favorite franchise but aren’t irritated to totally walk away. We’d love to see a total boycott to run Jerry out but since that’s not happening , what do we do?

I’ve detached myself somewhat emotionally. I don’t spend my money on them anymore but I do still watch and root on the team. I can’t help myself. It’s still my local team and I’m going to root them on regardless. It’s a sad state of affairs . Lol

75boyz

Reaction score
But fans cumulatively do ultimately have control much like we do any product or entity we patronage . They just haven’t excercised it to an extent that will make a difference.

Continuing to support Jerry and the Cowboys is, however indirectly, providing Jerry a stamp of approval to continue. We are all guilty to some degree.

There’s nothing wrong with it as long as we admit we are part of the problem if we’re sincerley looking for a solution.

My wife always says, we are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

While I’ve taken great strides to be less of the problem , I still am regrettably. I’m a Cowboy junkie. I can’t completely walk away. Jerry thanks us and I flip him off all the way to the bank.

Nicely done.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s a fine line Hazy. My wife always tells me, “ I’m either part of the problem or part of the solution”.

And you have to be fully invested to be a part of the solution. I attempted to lobby for that about 11 years ago but was shot down by majority of fans on these forums because we’re all basically Cowboy Junkies ( most of us anyway including myself).

So, what do you do. This is it pretty much. We complain all the way to the bank flippin him off but unfortunately Jerry gets the last laugh because of our addiction and weakness to force our will.

And why my emotional survival has been to lower the bar becoming like fans across the NFL do as Coach referred to yesterday. This is not our fathers Cowboy franchise nor the one we grew to love for the first 4 decades of its existence.

Refusing to accept it for what it has become is probably the greatest frustration we can have. Until we’re willing to walk away then we are ultimately part of the problem . I totally believe my wife is right. Basically all we can do now is complain about the situation we helped create. We are totally at Jerry’s mercy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We're basically the Kardashians. We're famous for being famous.

We aren't the best at what we do but we are the most popular, most talked about, buzz worthy team in all of sports

But very good post OP.
We’re #1 in Sports Entertainment not football. Our popularity used to be driven by our success on the field.

Now it’s supported by fans who are hooked on the product and can’t walk away despite however watered down or diluted it’s become. We’re all to blame.

We’ve become like many popular American brands, not the best just the wealthiest. Our Iconic label has been *******ized to sell.