News: What they're saying about Cowboys' free agency: Ware reunion? Additions on offense? Keep Claiborne,

CCBoy

Reaction score
What they're saying about Cowboys' free agency: Ware reunion? Additions on offense? Keep Claiborne, Carr?

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...e-reunion-add-pierre-paul-keep-claiborne-carr

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones knows Dallas needs to upgrade its defense this offseason. Will they utilize free agency to do just that?

When asked about how he'd do it, his answer was short and sweet.

"Draft!" he said definitively to SportsDay's Brandon George.

That doesn't mean Dallas will completely rule out free agency. Here's what experts are saying about potential free agent targets for Dallas, as well as their own free agents...

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Resign Mo & Wilcox

Draft, draft & maybe get lucky on a FA that doesn't break the bank

TonyS

Reaction score
There's not much to dislike about Stephen's thinking here...he is obviously running more of the show than Jerry now, which is a great thing.

"With our cap situation the way it is, and really at the end of the day our philosophy - we're not big on overspending in free agency," Stephen Jones said. "If you ask me, where we've got the best opportunity is to go to work in the draft. Whether that's the first pick, the second pick, the third pick - I can't tell you how the draft's going to turn out. I think that's how you make your biggest mistakes, is to say 'We're going to pick for need. We're going to take the best defensive end in the draft, not the best player in the draft when our pick comes.' So we'll just have to see how all that plays out. But obviously it's something that goes without saying: We're very focused on trying to improve our pass-rush."

MRCPS

Reaction score
There's not much to dislike about Stephen's thinking here...he is obviously running more of the show than Jerry now, which is a great thing.

"With our cap situation the way it is, and really at the end of the day our philosophy - we're not big on overspending in free agency," Stephen Jones said. "If you ask me, where we've got the best opportunity is to go to work in the draft. Whether that's the first pick, the second pick, the third pick - I can't tell you how the draft's going to turn out. I think that's how you make your biggest mistakes, is to say 'We're going to pick for need. We're going to take the best defensive end in the draft, not the best player in the draft when our pick comes.' So we'll just have to see how all that plays out. But obviously it's something that goes without saying: We're very focused on trying to improve our pass-rush."

I rather have Julius Peppers than DeMarcus Ware, atleast Peppers don't have consistent back surgery problems.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I rather have Julius Peppers than DeMarcus Ware, atleast Peppers don't have consistent back surgery problems.
With the rumoring being that is muscle related and not bone or disc is even more unnerving.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I they can get MO for 3 mil a year and Wilcox for 1 mil a year I'd say do it.
Our fans unrealistic on what we can get the top guys for and are unrealistic on what guys outside of the top end get.

And so you get posts like this. Wilcox for 1mm a year? Come on man!

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Our fans unrealistic on what we can get the top guys for and are unrealistic on what guys outside of the top end get.

And so you get posts like this. Wilcox for 1mm a year? Come on man!

He just played for 1 mil a year. 1.5 maybe 2 or he can walk.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Wilcox earned 1.7mm last year with proven player escalators. His base was 675k but that was the last year of his rookie deal.

To think you could get him for 1mm a year is foolishness.

To pay him more when he's not starting material is even more foolish. But that's the fo fault for not drafting good defensive players.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Minimum salary for a 4th year player is 775k, so 1 million for Wilcox is not realistic at all

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
i love ware. he was my favorite player and i even had his jersey. (gave it to my niece as she became a cowboys fan).

but his back was a huge issue while here. those don't get much better in time. all i'd be for is for him to retire a cowboy type thing. 20 snaps a game max? pass.

ferrispata

Reaction score
come on, 53 men, MO is injured to often. Get someone healthy in. Move Brown up and bring in a new guy.
I would love to have Mo back as long as it is cap friendly. And to mitigate the injury concerns, they can build in some performance incentives. He had a very good year last year.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I dont know much about Peppers anymore but I'd rather have Jabrill Peppers then DeMarcus Ware

Sydla

Reaction score
Carolina is rumored to want Peppers back.

They value pass rush I guess.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i love ware. he was my favorite player and i even had his jersey. (gave it to my niece as she became a cowboys fan).

but his back was a huge issue while here. those don't get much better in time. all i'd be for is for him to retire a cowboy type thing. 20 snaps a game max? pass.

C'mon man! I've got 3 Ware jerseys in my closet collecting dust. Don't ruin this for me!
:angry:

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Dallas Free Agent plan

canstockphoto9922413-complicated.jpg