CFZ What this organization does well- and does not do well

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all want the same thing as Cowboys fans. We all want to win.

Anyone paying attention to what winning NFL organizations do- especially those winning SBs- would notice that it takes more than just talent to win in this league. In fact, in this current cap era, the teams that can best proactively plan, maneuver around the cap and develop a well coached, cohesive roster are the teams winning SBs.

Obviously, being only 1 of 3 NFC teams not even win a divisional playoff game the last 26 years says we haven’t been doing enough right. That’s obvious. But there are some things we do well as an organization. Just not enough.

Here is a list of what we do well and don’t do well and how making some improvements could make a huge difference:
WHAT WE DO WELL AS AN ORGANIZATION

• Selling and marketing the product. No front office in the NFL is better at selling hype, hope, jerseys, tickets and advertising partners than the Cowboys. Now that doesn’t win games but…we are talking about things we do well, lol.
  • Provide quality training facilities- the Cowboys have one of the best practice and training facilities for a sports franchise in the world. Facilities are second to none. That’s important.
  • Scout and Draft Talent- we have really improved in this area the last decade under Will McClay. Except for a weird habit of Jerry’s to take unnecessary risks in round 2, we’ve done pretty well at finding talent.
  • The organization is willing to pay to keep its best drafted talent- the organization is not afraid to make a financial commitment to its best players. Sometimes (lime with Zeke) Jerry may even be too quick to be generous. But that’s probably better than having a cheapskate owner.
WHAT WE DO NOT DO WELL
  • Hire the best head coaches- let’s be honest. Since Jimmy left, (other than Parcells) Jerry has been very reluctant to hire top shelf head coaches. Guys like Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett would never make a list of good NFL HCs. Jerry seems to always fear he will be overshadowed by the HC so he hires for his own comfort more than hiring a winner.
  • Accountability- any organization serious about being the best MUST have accountability starting at the very top all the way down. When the owner’s children have lifetime contracts without any way to hold them accountable for on field results, you have a huge accountability problem.
  • Manage the cap aggressively- look at the teams winning SBs lately- the rams, bucs and chiefs are all led by aggressive GMs who are held accountable to “win now” and act accordingly. While Stephen Jones laughs and spews his garbage about “keeping our powder dry”, people like Les Snead of the rams are quietly making big moves to make their team better now. And Snead doesn’t have a radio show.
  • Delegating authority- we all know Jerry micromanages. It doesn’t work. Hire great people and let them do their jobs is a truth for ALL organizations. Who’s in charge of the locker room? Who makes all the major decisions? Who’s the de-facto “face of the franchise”? If it’s the same person for all and he’s the owner, it’s tough to build the right kind of organization.
  • Following a consistent blueprint for success- Jerry himself says he doesn’t reflect on his mistakes. One of his mistakes is his inability to shut up and with discipline and self control follow a long term plan for roster building.
  • Being quiet- it’s amazing how much jabbering we get from the Jones boys. If they would just simply shut their mouths for a while it would literally help the team. But JJ has to crow. I’m hard pressed to find an organization where the owner/GM talk so much.
This list could go on and on…If I could pick 3 things to change about this organization and how it does business it would be:
  1. Hire a great HC and let him do his job.
  2. Have some accountability at the top for failure. Maybe SJ isn’t the guy to be in charge of the cap.
  3. Shut up Jerry and Stephen. Just close your mouth. Zip it. It will truly help your team and those you hired to help it win.

Jipper

Reaction score
I would add under what we do not do well:

Building a team through all phases - we do a good job drafting, a decent job developing inhouse talent, a very poor job offsetting with FA's, and a terrible job using resources (aka players) to restock picks when the player is at the end of their value (think Patriots model).

to build a complete team need to use all phases efficiently.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
You identify your franchise QB, put a good offensive line in front of him, then build up on the defensive side of the ball. Patriots 101.

Tom Brady only produced one co-future hall of famer... Gronk.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all want the same thing as Cowboys fans. We all want to win.

Anyone paying attention to what winning NFL organizations do- especially those winning SBs- would notice that it takes more than just talent to win in this league. In fact, in this current cap era, the teams that can best proactively plan, maneuver around the cap and develop a well coached, cohesive roster are the teams winning SBs.

Obviously, being only 1 of 3 NFC teams not even win a divisional playoff game the last 26 years says we haven’t been doing enough right. That’s obvious. But there are some things we do well as an organization. Just not enough.

Here is a list of what we do well and don’t do well and how making some improvements could make a huge difference:
WHAT WE DO WELL AS AN ORGANIZATION

• Selling and marketing the product. No front office in the NFL is better at selling hype, hope, jerseys, tickets and advertising partners than the Cowboys. Now that doesn’t win games but…we are talking about things we do well, lol.
  • Provide quality training facilities- the Cowboys have one of the best practice and training facilities for a sports franchise in the world. Facilities are second to none. That’s important.
  • Scout and Draft Talent- we have really improved in this area the last decade under Will McClay. Except for a weird habit of Jerry’s to take unnecessary risks in round 2, we’ve done pretty well at finding talent.
  • The organization is willing to pay to keep its best drafted talent- the organization is not afraid to make a financial commitment to its best players. Sometimes (lime with Zeke) Jerry may even be too quick to be generous. But that’s probably better than having a cheapskate owner.
WHAT WE DO NOT DO WELL
  • Hire the best head coaches- let’s be honest. Since Jimmy left, (other than Parcells) Jerry has been very reluctant to hire top shelf head coaches. Guys like Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett would never make a list of good NFL HCs. Jerry seems to always fear he will be overshadowed by the HC so he hires for his own comfort more than hiring a winner.
  • Accountability- any organization serious about being the best MUST have accountability starting at the very top all the way down. When the owner’s children have lifetime contracts without any way to hold them accountable for on field results, you have a huge accountability problem.
  • Manage the cap aggressively- look at the teams winning SBs lately- the rams, bucs and chiefs are all led by aggressive GMs who are held accountable to “win now” and act accordingly. While Stephen Jones laughs and spews his garbage about “keeping our powder dry”, people like Les Snead of the rams are quietly making big moves to make their team better now. And Snead doesn’t have a radio show.
  • Delegating authority- we all know Jerry micromanages. It doesn’t work. Hire great people and let them do their jobs is a truth for ALL organizations. Who’s in charge of the locker room? Who makes all the major decisions? Who’s the de-facto “face of the franchise”? If it’s the same person for all and he’s the owner, it’s tough to build the right kind of organization.
  • Following a consistent blueprint for success- Jerry himself says he doesn’t reflect on his mistakes. One of his mistakes is his inability to shut up and with discipline and self control follow a long term plan for roster building.
  • Being quiet- it’s amazing how much jabbering we get from the Jones boys. If they would just simply shut their mouths for a while it would literally help the team. But JJ has to crow. I’m hard pressed to find an organization where the owner/GM talk so much.
This list could go on and on…If I could pick 3 things to change about this organization and how it does business it would be:
  1. Hire a great HC and let him do his job.
  2. Have some accountability at the top for failure. Maybe SJ isn’t the guy to be in charge of the cap.
  3. Shut up Jerry and Stephen. Just close your mouth. Zip it. It will truly help your team and those you hired to help it win.
Another bash Jerry thread.....How many more do we need? We keep hearing it day in and day out. I'd think that with camp going on, we'd have better things to talk about....booger this and Booger that.....Jeez...

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
To be fair… you do post some version of this every couple of weeks or so.

I kind of understood in the off-season, but now with camp underway, it does seem a bit repetitive.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Btw, if there’s something that’s not factual in the OP let me know.

Kerp them coming Bob. They are smart, well written, informative and needed. It’s lame that people just like status quo and want to keep doing the same thing over and over. Unfortunately Jerry’s recent outbursts on Jimmy and signing Miller have sealed it that he doesn’t care what is possible or prudent…it’s all about him and his way. It’s embarrassing honestly.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kerp them coming Bob. They are smart, well written, informative and needed. It’s lame that people just like status quo and want to keep doing the same thing over and over. Unfortunately Jerry’s recent outbursts on Jimmy and signing Miller have sealed it that he doesn’t care what is possible or prudent…it’s all about him and his way. It’s embarrassing honestly.
It's lame that people care more about the owner than the team on the field....although, Bob does post some smart and informative stuff....I've just heard it a thousand times, that's all.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep....same complaints, just different day. What do you think of the WR situation? Will we make a move or are Booger and son to cheap?
How can you say “same complaints” if you haven’t read this? You’ve already admitted you don’t read my posts. But anyway I’ve commented several times this week on numerous threads about WRs, OL, DL, etc.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's lame that people care more about the owner than the team on the field....although, Bob does post some smart and informative stuff....I've just heard it a thousand times, that's all.
Two points:
  • Hasn’t the owner chosen to make himself the centerpiece of this team?
  • You’re always welcome to disagree with anything. But why comment on posts you have not read? Just my opinion.

75boyz

Reaction score
Some Cowboys fans do well at accepting the Jones standard as the norm and pretend to ignore him as the underlying root cause for lack of team success

Other Cowboy fans don't do that so well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here’s what we do well. We have no equal in hype, promotion and selling the iconic brand despite whatever our results are on the field and the dysfunction and toxic culture .

And our fans continue supporting in record numbers in the most mediocre era of Cowboys football regardless their disappointment and frustrations with this ownership . It’s really an incredible combination not seen in sports.

yMQEUp7.jpg

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

Hey I hear ya on things being repeated on here but I just gravitate toward his stuff because it seems outrageously out of the norm presentation/fact style vs just pure hate/love stuff. I do think the owner/GM is taking it a little harder these days because the product on the field seems to be more about him/SJ doing things their way vs adjusting to how teams are winning SBs now. There is a stubbornness that is frustrating to me. But I always hope every season brings it all together. Here’s to it happening this year! :star: