What this season could have been!

phildadon86

Reaction score
This year we came into the season with Superbowl aspirations. The only thing that everyone was hesitant about was our coaching staff (rightly so).

This season couldn't have worked out better for us on paper. Everything seemed to be falling our way. We had a meeting with the Saints missing Brees, Green Bay with no Adams, Minnesota missing Thielen and Waynes.

Then the actual games were played and we were completely out coached and out manned. Coaching has costed us a chance at HFA throughout the playoffs and it sucks. This team should have been 7-1 going into the bye if not perfect if our coaching staff knew how to exploit weaknesses and game plan properly.

Gaffes in play calls, taking the ball OUT of our playmakers hands and relying on beating the man in front of you mantra has hopefully seen its last days in Dallas. I think that Jerry is starting to come around on this and I for one am very hopeful. There is still a lot of football to be played and I think we make the playoffs but I am in no way hopeful of a Superbowl like I was before week 4.

Discuss

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
We likely won't do anything in the playoffs if we do go. Coaching is too bad, as is our defense. I'm not sure if it's the players or the scheme/game plan, but we aren't ready.

shabazz

Reaction score
We are an average team that started off playing weak teams. Media and fans overhyped our record and when we faced a couple good teams we were beaten.

We are an average team.........doesnt mean we still cant root for them and enjoy the games though

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we could have just beaten the Jets we'd be 7-3 right now with a little cushion on the Eagles to win this division. Which is the only way an NFC East team is getting in this year.

I just can't get past how easy the remaining schedule is for the Eagles. They don't need to even be good to win 4 of their last 5.

SackMaster

Reaction score
I (like to think I) try to be on the realistic side of optimistic, but even if the Cowboys had HFA in the playoffs, would anyone really be surprised if we were one-and-done?

IMO, the time when coaching matters the most in the NFL is in the playoffs. And like Colin Cowherd has said this week, coaching is the only part of the Cowboys that I have not seen improve in the past two years.

Now, one could argue for Moore and/or Kitna improving coaching in their areas, but I think he was talking specifically about Garrett.

I would love nothing more than for Garrett to be holding the Lombardi at the end of the year and making most/all of us, to include me, look foolish. But if history is any indicator, I would not place a bet on it happening. Even if it was just participating in the NFCCCG.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys simply are a team that plays capably enough vs. teams with a losing record. It's a problem, however, when the schedule includes playing as many teams with winning ways as we do this season. It is why we tend to play so well every other year, due to the strength of schedule following winning seasons being far more difficult.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This year we came into the season with Superbowl aspirations. The only thing that everyone was hesitant about was our coaching staff (rightly so).

This season couldn't have worked out better for us on paper. Everything seemed to be falling our way. We had a meeting with the Saints missing Brees, Green Bay with no Adams, Minnesota missing Thielen and Waynes.

Then the actual games were played and we were completely out coached and out manned. Coaching has costed us a chance at HFA throughout the playoffs and it sucks. This team should have been 7-1 going into the bye if not perfect if our coaching staff knew how to exploit weaknesses and game plan properly.

Gaffes in play calls, taking the ball OUT of our playmakers hands and relying on beating the man in front of you mantra has hopefully seen its last days in Dallas. I think that Jerry is starting to come around on this and I for one am very hopeful. There is still a lot of football to be played and I think we make the playoffs but I am in no way hopeful of a Superbowl like I was before week 4.

Discuss

I think you've summed things up perfectly, kudos.
:clap:

It's funny that fans will always cry the blues if the Cowboys are missing any players and use them as excuses for why the team lost. But this team has had advantages going the other way all year and failed to capitalize on it, continuing to find ways to lose.

It's not 'everything else' anymore kids, it's the coaching, and more specifically the lack thereof.

This season is only the most recent of many squandered in the Garrett era. What we now have to hope is that it is also the last.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
Above average talent with below average coaching equals exactly what this team is right now consistently inconsistent

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we could have just beaten the Jets we'd be 7-3 right now with a little cushion on the Eagles to win this division. Which is the only way an NFC East team is getting in this year.

I just can't get past how easy the remaining schedule is for the Eagles. They don't need to even be good to win 4 of their last 5.

And the scary thing is that even after their loss to us, a true beatdown, they didn't crumble. They've won two of their last three and took New England to the wire last week in that one loss. They're not giving up and they're not going away. If the Cowboys are to win this division. The Eagles will make them earn it.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
They just do what they do.

Man coverage on the outside, zone underneath and a single high safety. A deep crossing route from the slot or TE has beat that coverage multiple times this year.

They just do what they do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Give Urban Meyer this team or Riley and I guarantee we arent average.

I prefer Meyer for a few reasons. One, he's been a winner everywhere he's been. Two, his teams have also had defenses. And three, he already has some level of familiarity with this team's quarterback and running back.