what time is the supp draft?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I couldn't find a time anywhere last night. I am guessing that bids have to be turned in to the NFL offices by close of business today which is 5:00 pm Eastern.

There may be an actual time deadline though and as I said, I can't find it.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Each round best I remember, takes about so long for say, first round, if a team decides to draft a guy in first round, they put in a bid to the NLF office,

the supplemental draft is conducted by teams choosing in order as they drafted in April. No team is suppose to take a player in first round. Maybe second, for brooks down to 4th round. San francisco, Miami & Dallas are rumored to like Brooks, so he could go anywhere from 2nd to 4th round or later.

If a team selects a player, then they forfit or lose that round pick in 2007 draft. Say, for instance in 4th, round, Dallas, Miami and 49ers all take Brooks, then he is rewared to the team with the losing record, or by the team, that picks first in that round. I am not sure if teams are aware if a player is chosen.

Best, I remember, teams are not notified, till the end of the day or that round, if they get that player by the NFL office. Hope that helps.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Whoops, I was wrong, sorry, here is more info

The Supplemental draft order is decided by a weighted
lottery. Then, a bid blind auction is put in, with the
highest bidder getting the player.

Each team chooses like a ball, and gets so many balls
or paper with numbers. The one with the most balls or
highest number of number paper gets the first bid.

NFL teams must provide the NFL league office with the
identity of any player they so choose and what round they
choose him. This is where, best I remember, say a team
chooses Brooks in 3rd round for example, say, Giants, Cowboys,
49ers, Patriots & Dolphins, then the team with the highest
number of balls or paper number gets the player in that
round. But they lose that pick in 2007 NFL Draft.

So, I am thinking more and more, 3rd round to 4th round
for Ahmad Brooks the linebacker. The Packers were or
seemed to be interested in Brooks too. Billichick, Pats head
coach has done a lot of talking with Al Groh, (Parcells friend-
from Virginia) too, and done lot of research, but they seem to
be quiet too.

IT has been reported that several teams have already put in
their bid for what player they will choose and in what round.
BUT, that information probably wont be revealed until
tomorrow. Some sites are saying that by 1 pm to 3 pm, they
will have what players were selected and by what team.
Hope that helps.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
PFT is reporting 1 EST -- but I imagine we won't hear anything until 2 oer 3 EST.

PFT, for what it is worth, also reports that Groh has been giving a very negative evaluation of Brooks when asked. If that is true I can't see us putting in any sort of bid for him. but who knows what the truth is.

DBoys

Reaction score
abersonc said:
PFT is reporting 1 EST -- but I imagine we won't hear anything until 2 oer 3 EST.

PFT, for what it is worth, also reports that Groh has been giving a very negative evaluation of Brooks when asked. If that is true I can't see us putting in any sort of bid for him. but who knows what the truth is.

Thanks was looking for the time everywhere

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:

Appreciated.

Interesting info on Groh if true.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
From what group are they taking players? People who were undrafted from the last draft.....doesn't make sense to me.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
abersonc said:

I figured as much considering the teams that have contacts with Groh haven't shown much interests, despite the fact that the Browns, Jets and Patriots all have some very real LB problems. The Patriots didn't even bother to send anyone to his workout. Crennel has already stated that he's not interested ( http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1152783623117180.xml&coll=2 )

I'm actually more intrigued with Berryman for a 7th.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Never mind...figured it out myself.

Supplemental Draft
In late summer, the NFL also holds a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft because they thought they still had academic eligibility to play college football. The supplemental draft maintains the same team order from the regular draft, with the team with the worst record in the previous season picking first. However, in the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft. (For example, RB Tony Hollings was taken by the Houston Texans in the second round of the Supplemental Draft in 2003. Thus in the 2004 NFL Draft, the Texans forfeited a second-round pick).

The 1985 Supplemental Draft was particularly controversial. Bernie Kosar of the University of Miami earned his academic degree a year early but did not enter the regular draft that year. Rather than finish his eligibility at Miami, he entered into talks with his hometown Cleveland Browns, who advised him to delay his professional eligibility until after the regular draft. They then traded for the right to choose first in the Supplemental Draft. This angered many clubs, notably the Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants, who had expressed interest in choosing him in that season's regular draft. Many of today's Supplemental Draft rules aim at preventing a reoccurrence of this incident.

As of 2006, players who enter the Supplemental Draft usually are graded as players who should be drafted at a later round, or who have college eligibility problems (poor academic or discipline issues). Only 32 players have been taken in the past 26 Supplemental Drafts.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

If we can deal with his character concerns, he has upside as a nickel rusher/ROLB and could fill the role Kalen Thornton was slated to perform. He would be well worth a 7th, but he has several teams interested, all of which have higher slots than we do.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

I think that if a team thinks they can get a guy with a 7 then they might just let the guy go undrafted and try to pick him up as a free agent.

Berryman is interesting though.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I think that if a team thinks they can get a guy with a 7 then they might just let the guy go undrafted and try to pick him up as a free agent.

Berryman is interesting though.

Because a 7th round pick in the draft is so vital ?

If he is worth anything someone will spend at least a 7th on him.

SouthernStar

Reaction score
I read somewhere that they are changing up the procedure this year. It won't be a "blind draft" anymore.

It said that ALL 32 teams will be online with the NFL office.

Then, a representative (from each team), simply types in...."pass"...and the NEXT team representative gets to type in whatever he wants.

And so on, and so on......

It should make for a very fast process.......

AbeBeta

Reaction score
PFT is reporting that round 1 passed and no one was selected.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Because a 7th round pick in the draft is so vital ?

If he is worth anything someone will spend at least a 7th on him.

that sort of "late round picks don't matter" attitude is typical Skins thinking.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
i may be an idiot for saying this but if Parcells takes Brooks, to me I guess it is his last year based on giving up a draft pick for next year.