What to do for 2022 to be successful!

Sandyf

Reaction score
The Cowboys have areas they have to improve or at least get better production but after watching 2 weeks of playoffs it is pretty positive on two things they have to do to have a successful 2022.

The first is the OL especially the middle of the line. LG was a mess all year and where other teams pressured Dak. Biadasz got better in his second year but he has to get stronger and make better line calls. To many times he was pushed back in the pocket and his run blocking was average at best. We also just do not have a LG that can hold up in the pass protection or run game. Williams is a free agent and then McGovern is just a good backup. Could Alarcon be an answer there next year? Just not that confident he can make that jump. Steele and Collins should fight for the RT spot with the loser being the swing OT. I know Smith has had injury problems but he is still better than anything we have. Will Josh Ball make a huge jump in year two after being IR for the whole year. That remains a huge question mark.

The salary cap is what it is and we know that if Dallas wants to resign any guys or jump into free agency then they will manipulate the cap as necessary. So what do we do with the OL. There are several options.
First, either sign a free agent center that is good and that is going to cost you or find a LG that is really good which will cost you even more money. If neither is to the Cowboys liking then the only option is to improve it in the draft in the first three rounds. A Kenyon Green at LG appears to be very nice or Tyler Linderbaum at OC would be just as good a option. Obviously, a miracle of say trading down with the Jets and get picks 35 and 38 for 24 and 56 and then have both of those guys available at 35 and 38 would be the miracle we need, but that is fantasy, a huge fantasy.

The reality is that if we don't solve LG and OC, then we are going to suffer in the run game as well as the pass protection. My prediction is we ride with Biadasz as he gets better and stronger and draft say a Green in the first round.

The second area that has to be dealt with for a successful season is the DL, especially DT. The young guys in Hill, Gallimore and Odighizuwa showed some good measures and show be better next year. We need Bohanna to show up and become a Vita Vea. And we need Gallimore or Odighizuwa to do there best impression of Aaron Donald. The DT have to stop the run and at least get a good pass rush every time. Look at the playoffs and you see the line with the good DT allow for the DE to constantly make plays in the backfield. When is the last time Dallas had that type of defense... Bob Lilly, Randy White, Russell Maryland, Tony Castillas, La'roi Glover, Leon Lett. Have we had anyone close to one of them in 20 years. In the playoffs, the DL sets the tone and makes your LB and secondary much better than they might be. With Micah Parsons and Jabril Cox, we have I believe to great LB that can make a difference every play but they would be even better with much better play at DT. Sure you need good/great DE play but if a DT demands a double team then your DE will never have to worry about a double team. Lawrence and Gregory can be special and Balsam isn't bad. We most likely draft another one or two in the draft and probably sign a couple late free agents on the cheap. As to the draft, I don't see Dallas drafting on in the first round but guys like Travis Jones, Phidarian Mathis or Haskell Garrett will be around in round 3 and 4. Need to find that special guy in the rough.

My prediction, we draft a guy and ride with what we have also resigning Gregory will probably be the first resign.

We solve those two items and we will have a successful season facing some 7 games against playoff teams.