What to do in the Dallas area on this weekend... in town to watch the game! *Merge*

Dallas22

Reaction score
Going to Dallas on Friday afternoon with other Cowboys fans to see one of the final games in Texas stadium (but my first there) so I'm excited... would've been more excited IF we'd pull that win out like we should've against Pittsburgh but now every game is a must win and I'm glad I'll be there live. A couple of questions from some of us first time Cowboys fans visiting the Dallas area:

- Since the game is at 7:15pm on Sunday night, when does the tailgating begin... when's a good time to get to the tailgating festivities; is there a lot going on and does does the good tailgating start up... do people have TV set ups to watch the earlier games of Sunday (DTV, sunday ticket, etc).

- Going to visit the new stadium, what can we see of it? How close can we get?

- Anything to see at or around Texas Stadium before the Giants-Cowboys game?

- Best Dallas Cowboys stores to buy merchandise... 2 criteria: #1) best selections and variety; #2) best buys & deals

- Nightlife... Good Sports bars, dance clubs, lounges, strip clubs, etc? Gambling?

- Nice places to visit & see? We'll have a car so we can get to any place in the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington areas.

- What area/places to stay away from?

These are about it for now... any help would be greatly appricaited... thanks in advance... GO COWBOYS!!!

mrla

A Passion for the Star
Reaction score
Dallas22;2474865 said:
Going to Dallas on Friday afternoon with other Cowboys fans to see one of the final games in Texas stadium (but my first there) so I'm excited... would've been more excited IF we'd pull that win out like we should've against Pittsburgh but now every game is a must win and I'm glad I'll be there live. A couple of questions from some of us first time Cowboys fans visiting the Dallas area:

- Since the game is at 7:15pm on Sunday night, when does the tailgating begin... when's a good time to get to the tailgating festivities; is there a lot going on and does does the good tailgating start up... do people have TV set ups to watch the earlier games of Sunday (DTV, sunday ticket, etc).

- Best Dallas Cowboys stores to buy merchandise... 2 criteria: #1) best selections and variety; #2) best buys & deals

- Nightlife... Good Sports bars, dance clubs, lounges, strip clubs, etc? Gambling?

- Nice places to visit & see? We'll have a car so we can get to any place in the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington areas.

These are about it for now... any help would be greatly appricaited... thanks in advance... GO COWBOYS!!!

If you like history, go visit Dealy Plaza...JFK assassination site. Tour the grounds and the 6th floor museum as well.
While down there walk a couple of blocks and go the West End...Several good bars, pubs, restaurants, shops.
The new stadium is about 20-30 min. from Dallas. You can get some very nice views from the streets surrounding it.
There is a Cowboys merchandise outlet in Irving. It's a little cheaper than at the stadium, but your best bet is still on-line...ebay etc.
Get to the game very early as traffic and parking around the stadium is a nightmare!
Have a great time. I would love to have the feeling of walking into the stadium for the first time again...mine was about 15 years ago!

Dallas22

Reaction score
How about tailgating? When do the Cowboys open up their "gates/doors" to the fans? Are there usually a lot of people around with satelite dishes with the Sunday Package?

I've been at several different stadiums and tailgated... seen the crowds and some are better than others. Basically how "good" is the Texas Stadium tailgating??? Thanks in advance.

I'm still interested in more ideas of what to do in the Dallas area, please let me know... thanks again

Yellow Lab

Reaction score
If you like country music, or "old west" restaurants, museums, etc., and rodeo, take a ride over to the Fort Worth Stockyards. Great place to spend an afternoon/evening. It's 2-3 miles north of downtown Ft. Worth, at Main & Exchange... Also right there is Billy Bob's Texas - "The World's Largest Honkytonk". It's a gigantic country music venue, that even has live bull riding in a small arena inside at like 9 PM. Very cool place. Real good small bars all along Exchange Ave., like The Cadillac!

Dallas22

Reaction score
Thanks for the info but not a fan of the country music thing... I can deal with just about any kind of music but country, metal & hard rock. What other areas of Dallas have a strip of clubs and bars?

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
Dallas22;2474865 said:

tl;dr

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dallas22;2478722 said:
Thanks for the info but not a fan of the country music thing... I can deal with just about any kind of music but country, metal & hard rock. What other areas of Dallas have a strip of clubs and bars?

Best area for SC's is right off 35 in Dallas not far from Texas Stadium.

Just google Baby Dolls, Jaguars, Mens Club, Silver City.

Pantera(Vince Paul) owns a SC here called the clubhouse.

As for 'real' clubs you might try the Ghost Bar which is off 35 right by American Airlines Center where the Mavs play. It has serious scenery.

If I were bringing a bunch of guys down I'd go to Baby Dolls.
It is pretty much world famous for having serious 'talent'.

catskillthunder

Reaction score
Great thread! Ill be in town also this weekend all the way from NY. Ill be there from Saturday morning through Monday morning. My first and last game at Texas Stadium. I have to give my wife all the credit as it was her Christmas gift to our son and I.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
I went up to Randy White's BBQ when I was there a few weeks back for the 49'er game. The food is incredibly good. Randy is often there and just happened to show up for a meeting as I was getting ready to leave. He's a very nice guy and is willing to take a photograph and sign stuff if you have it with you or purchase it there. Its up in Frisco, TX.

Now I had a few days to enjoy some of the sites of the area. While you'll definitely be amazed about the size of the new stadium, in addition there is just something heart stopping about your first site of Texas Stadium off in the distance as it gets closer to you.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
and to the rest:

With a group of guys you really don't need to avoid anywhere.

Just use common sense and don't flash a lot of money, be overly aggressive with chicks, start arguments or things like that and everything will be more than fine.

Tailgating will be going full bore by 3 PM.
You will want Blue Parking for that tho.

There will be TV setups with satellite coverage and plenty of people hanging out. Probably various sponsored setups there as well like Miller Lite girls and whatnot. Not a bad place to hang out at all if you have a crew with you. Bring food and drink.

You can see the new stadium in progress but you won't get very close(legally... far be it from me to tell you to hop a fence and get video or pics from the site after dark) as it is a construction site.

I'd hit twin peaks and/or bone daddy's to eat and maybe visit a SC if I were with a bunch of guys.

Tailgating at Texas Stadium is about a 5 on a scale of 1-10. For a big game it is about a 7. This one is big.

Nothing like a good college tailgate where people just hand out free food and drink or like those crazies in Green Bay who tailgate as the only social function of their entire life. BUT still very fun and its silly imho to pay for tickets and parking and not enjoy the tailgating.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy;2478888 said:
I went up to Randy White's BBQ when I was there a few weeks back for the 49'er game. The food is incredibly good. Randy is often there and just happened to show up for a meeting as I was getting ready to leave. He's a very nice guy and is willing to take a photograph and sign stuff if you have it with you or purchase it there. Its up in Frisco, TX.

Now I had a few days to enjoy some of the sites of the area. While you'll definitely be amazed about the size of the new stadium, in addition there is just something heart stopping about your first site of Texas Stadium off in the distance as it gets closer to you.

Randy White is awesome but his barbecue place is merely average at best.

This is Texas:) We know barbecue!

Try Peggy Sue Barbecue or Railhead.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/bestof

gemys62

Reaction score
:star: It's my boyfriend's birthday (he's a HUGE fan!) this weekend and we are going to Dallas for the Giants / Cowboys game. Can anyone give any suggestions on what we can do / go. We like R&B, jazz, etc.

Dallas22

Reaction score
Are the SC's full or partial? :)

Thanks for ALL of this information so far, it's really appricaited. Please keep the suggestions coming.

My fiancee gave me this present for my birthday and I can't wait to enjoy my first and only game in Texas Stadium... GO COWBOYS!!!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
when your strip club adventures are over you can cool off by sledding down the snow hill at six flags in arlington!!!!!!!!

and if you park in the wal mart parking lot across from the stadium you are like 50 feet from the new stadium and you can walk on the sidewalk all the way around the block for the most part.