What to do with David Irving

conner01

Reaction score
Two different philosophies, a first round tender virtually protects him from other teams offering him a deal because not likely any would give up a first round draft pick for him, a second round tender opens up the possibility of a trade a little bit. Ask yourself this, would you trade a second round draft pick for an UDFA who has had some off field issues in the past and some consistency issues?

I've heard many fans clamor for trading this player or that player on our team for draft picks. The nice thing about RFA is, you can protect a guy and negotiate a contract in the year he's protected OR you can look at it as, we're not 100% sold on him and would entertain a notion of trading for draft pick (minimum second rounder) if someone wants him that badly. I think we'll know how management feels about Irving after the tender. If it's a first round tender they value him more highly than a second round tender. That's how I look at it.

I have some big ? on Lawrence too. How much is $17 million/year for a player who has had one very good season out of 4 and has back issues. I can hear the scream now if we tag him for $17 million and he plays fewer games and has fewer sacks in 2018. Not easy decisions but I'm sure Tank will get tagged. Irving I'm not so sure about, rumors are starting to circulate that the team would think about a possible exchange for a second round DP
Both players can play, both players have issues

glimmerman

Reaction score
Until I see something official about the Cowboys releasing Gregory, I'm going to hold out hope.
You and me both. His last game was descent. Finally registered a sack. I saw someone post they got to hang out with him and was really nice guy and said he would be back. If he can kick the habit then we may see what this kid can do. I wonder how his contact will work though. Was a typical 4 year deal and this is his last year of it. If he stays clean and plays it out then will he be eligible for a veteran contract? Is that fair since he hasn’t played 2/3 of his original rookie deal. I know he got paid for some of it. He had 1.4 mill guaranteed. He had to give most all of his paychecks back. Injured his rookie season (not his fault) after serving 4 game suspension?, missed 10 games next year and all of last season.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
After 2018, they can afford to cut bait with Crawford without blowing up the Salary Cap.

they can afford to now as well and still not blow up the salary cap. as far as fit goes, I'd move DLaw to RDE, it *may* keep the cost of extending him long term in a reasonable range, and allows us to play Irving at LDE, where he isn't a liability against the run, as opposed to inside. The third DE for me is Taco, who has x2 as many career sacks as Gregory. Tapper, a rookie and Gregory can battle it out for 4th, 5th and cut.

inside, drafting Vita Vela would be a good move, and certainly popular, but I doubt it happens. either way, I'd have a free agent, Maliek Collins and a rookie as my main 3 DTs.

glimmerman

Reaction score
they can afford to now as well and still not blow up the salary cap. as far as fit goes, I'd move DLaw to RDE, it *may* keep the cost of extending him long term in a reasonable range, and allows us to play Irving at LDE, where he isn't a liability against the run, as opposed to inside. The third DE for me is Taco, who has x2 as many career sacks as Gregory. Tapper, a rookie and Gregory can battle it out for 4th, 5th and cut.

inside, drafting Vita Vela would be a good move, and certainly popular, but I doubt it happens. either way, I'd have a free agent, Maliek Collins and a rookie as my main 3 DTs.
Vita Vela sounds like velvetta (cheese). Him and Taco will make a dynamic duo.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Let's keep Irving around this season and let him walk in 2019

Lane21Train

Reaction score
Both of their suspensions were due to supplement use, and hidden steroids in those supplements. Neither can be shown to have purposefully violated the drug rules. So, it is easier to believe these will be one-time offenses, not habitual offenses which continue to hurt the team. If you MUST be concerned, be more concerned about injuries.

Me? I'm a happy-go-lucky optimist. I'm already predicting 19-0, and a Super Bowl Championship for next season.
Ya, its more about the injuries & production upkeep than anything. I just included the suspensions as a concern because although it was more than likely an accident, they do need to continue to prove they are capable if being smarter & not putting the wrong thing in their bodies. Glad you made it to the zone Jumbo, missed ya on the other page. Looking forward to your offseason free agency & draft analysis as always.

JustChip

Reaction score
Exactly why they both need to be tagged & provide a full season of healthy, productivity & ability to not do anything stupid.... do that & i’ll pay them based upon my results of the things mentioned above

The problem with D Law is they probably don't have the cap space to Franchise Tag him and that's your only option with him. One of the resident Cap SMEs maybe can address this.

There's not a huge difference between a 1st and 2nd round tender for Irving so if you want to have him this year, you go the 1st round tender. Unlikely another team bites on that. But, if you're not completely sold on him, or you don't think you'll be able to sign him next year, you do the 2nd round tender and take the pick if someone makes him an offer you can't meet.

It's not that the player you get with the pick is the value, it's that it gives you a chip to package with your existing 1st round to move up for a franchise player. Or, you swap both 2nd round picks for commensurate 1st round that gets a better player for 5 years.

Lane21Train

Reaction score
The problem with D Law is they probably don't have the cap space to Franchise Tag him and that's your only option with him. One of the resident Cap SMEs maybe can address this.

There's not a huge difference between a 1st and 2nd round tender for Irving so if you want to have him this year, you go the 1st round tender. Unlikely another team bites on that. But, if you're not completely sold on him, or you don't think you'll be able to sign him next year, you do the 2nd round tender and take the pick if someone makes him an offer you can't meet.

It's not that the player you get with the pick is the value, it's that it gives you a chip to package with your existing 1st round to move up for a franchise player. Or, you swap both 2nd round picks for commensurate 1st round that gets a better player for 5 years.
We have 18M, Scandrick is gone, i believe they should cut Mayowa & Witten needs to retire so we can give our plethora of TE’s we have a chance to play. If they are all cut, traded or retired we have 28M in space which is just enough to cover Lawrence, Irving, Cooper & a few of our low budget FA’s like Smith & LP. When we strike a deal with martin his 9M cap will be reduced significantly to provide us with cap space throughout the year, that doesnt include restrucuring any deals which will more than likely need to be done (Frederick) so we can bring in Earl Thomas who will also recquire an extension from his contract so his girst year of being here the cap hit will be significantly lower than his current hit of 8.5M I believe..... we’ll be fine as long as the coaching staff can not be little *****es & realize wittens time is up. He gives us 6.5M alone.

Lane21Train

Reaction score

Also, i’m not packing a 2nd round pick to move up for a single player in this draft. I dont see anyone worth a 1st & a 2nd. Vea aint that guy, Edmunds aint that guy, Hurst aint that guy. None of em. A 4th to move up a couple spots... ya. 2nd? Hell no