What UDFAs Will Make The Team?

Rockytop6

Reaction score
So far, over a dozen UDFAs have been signed or agreements reached with them. No doubt there will be a few more but of those already in the fold, how many of these have a legitimate shot at making the team and how many will just be camp fodder?

I think those with a good shot are:

QB Moore
RB Battle
NT Ola

I mention the NT because Ireland said to keep an eye on him during his interview yesterday.

I think Moore will wind up being our 3rd QB and Battle has a good shot at being the 3rd rb.

Several no doubt will make the PS but I think either 2 and at the most 3 will make the season's roster.

Who do you think will make it?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I agree, Moore QB, Battle RB, and Ola NT, then dont forget Hannah TE, I think he will be put on practice squad for a year. If Battle doesnt make it for some reason keep an eye out for Coleman RB, then best size, speed for Linebacker is
Dedrick Harrington ? LB Missouri 6?4" ? 245 4.75 Jeff Ireland said, later and i think JJTaylor said same thing, keep an eye out for Hannah the TE at 6-8, 250, about 4.8 in 40.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;1487197 said:
I agree, Moore QB, Battle RB, and Ola NT, then dont forget Hannah TE, I think he will be put on practice squad for a year. If Battle doesnt make it for some reason keep an eye out for Coleman RB, then best size, speed for Linebacker is
Dedrick Harrington ? LB Missouri 6?4" ? 245 4.75 Jeff Ireland said, later and i think JJTaylor said same thing, keep an eye out for Hannah the TE at 6-8, 250, about 4.8 in 40.

I would really like for the NT to really come on. He seems to be the size, etc. that Wade is looking for. It would really serve a need if he did.

I would like for Hannah to make it as the 3rd TE but it doesn't seem logical for that many guys UDFA to make the team. I think realistically two and maybe three. Again, several could make the PS.

Reaction score
I can see

Moore QB
Battle RB
Hannah TE
Harrington LB

Also a few going to the PS.........Don't know if they will clear waivers.

Johnson FS
Turner OG
Smith DE

BLT

Reaction score
i agree with Moore if we dont think we can put him on the PS... also i have a feel battle and Ola make the team...Hannah hopefully makes it to the practice Squad and i think 1 of the ILB make the team since were thin at that and Jerry Jones himself said he wished had been able to get 1 or 2 in the draft... 1 or 2

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Rockytop6;1487154 said:
So far, over a dozen UDFAs have been signed or agreements reached with them. No doubt there will be a few more but of those already in the fold, how many of these have a legitimate shot at making the team and how many will just be camp fodder?

I think those with a good shot are:

QB Moore
RB Battle
NT Ola

I mention the NT because Ireland said to keep an eye on him during his interview yesterday.

I think Moore will wind up being our 3rd QB and Battle has a good shot at being the 3rd rb.

Several no doubt will make the PS but I think either 2 and at the most 3 will make the season's roster.

Who do you think will make it?

QB Matt Moore-- will probably win the 3rd QB job (if he lives up to his press clippings)... on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate his chances of making the team a 7.5...

RB/FB Jackie Battle-- will compete with Tyson Thompson for the 3rd RB job, I think the Boys might like to get bigger here, and with Isaiah Stanback and Miles Austin making Tyson expendable on kick returns, the Battle-ship might just have a chance... let's rate his chances a 7.0...

RB Alonzo Coleman-- a smaller Tyson Thompson basically, he was ultraproductive at a low level of competition in college... I don't think he has much chance of cracking the 53 man roster, though he does probably have the speed to play in the NFL... his chances are around a 5.5...

TE Rodney Hannah-- the Boys are thin at TE, but I kinda doubt Hannah has much of a realistic chance... he's just too raw... he might be an ideal developmental candidate for the practice squad, if he shows anything in camp... I'll grade him a 4.0...

WRs Jerard Rabb and Mike Jefferson-- both look intriguing, but the Boys are very deep at WR... they're both strictly possession receivers, and one of them might well wind up on the practice squad... give both of them 5.5 out of 10...

OG Robert Turner-- a big ol' mauler, but I think he's gonna prove to be too slow to make it in the NFL... another 4.0...

C Robert Rissler-- there's a need for a backup C, but Rissler is one of those guys who gets pushed back at the line of scrimmage... if he plays well in camp, he might benefit from a year on the practice squad, during which time he'd hopefully get stronger... grades out as a 3.5...

NT Ola Dagunduro... the Boys could use a quality backup NT, if Ola plays well in camp he has a chance of sticking... give him a 7.0 grade...

DE Marcus Wright... a real longshot, IMO... call him a 3.0 type...

ILB Dedrick Harrington... could factor in on the inside, has some cover skills... grade him a 6.5...

ILB Blair Phillips... not the cover guy that Harrington is, but stouter at the point of attack... give him a 6.0 grade...

OLB/DE Alex Obomese... faces a real numbers game to make the Boys... I have some question about whether he's fast enough for the NFL... 3.0 is the highest grade I can give him...

S Jasper Johnson... another total longshot, and another 3.0 grade...

P Sam Paulescu... only way he makes the squad is if McBriar gets hurt (and even then, the Boys might go out and bring in a vet)... at best, I see his chances as 2.5 out of 10...

So, to sum up, I rate the following players as having the best chance of making the 53 man roster, in order of how I see their chances:

QB Matt Moore
RB/FB Jackie Battle
DT Ola Dagunduro
ILB Dedrick Harrington

ILB Blair Phillips
WR Mike Jefferson
RB Alonzo Coleman
WR Jerard Rabb

I could see 2 or 3 of these players making the team, 5 or 6 of them winding up on the practice squad...

igtmfo

Reaction score
I like Hannah ...

Ireland said in the awesome interview posted here that Hannah was kind of out of his thinking but (to paraphrase) ... 'a woman who works in the office at Valley Ranch approached me and said "my dad said you should keep an eye on Hannah ..."

I googled her dad and didn't see he was a Col or HS coach or anything ??? Junior high coach, friends of the family?

*** ???

Maybe we should all approach Ireland with our "pet cats" ... or maybe Ireland just wanted to make an impression on his hot co-worker ..

:lmao:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Hannah is a great athlete who we should keep an eye on.......my favorite UDFA

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
thats a super post covrage of the udfas silverbear, good analysis

silverbear

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;1487709 said:
thats a super post covrage of the udfas silverbear, good analysis

Glad you liked it... there really wasn't much out there to be found on some of these guys, LOL...

Rockytop6

Reaction score
silverbear;1487726 said:
Glad you liked it... there really wasn't much out there to be found on some of these guys, LOL...

Bear has CB Arline been signed by anybody? I haven't found anything on it.
I keep thinking that Dallas will sign a pure speed merchant as kr/pr. I assume the job is Stanback's then along with his WR duties. I know he has blazing speed but at his size I don't know if he is the best for the position.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
igtmfo;1487581 said:
I like Hannah ...

Ireland said in the awesome interview posted here that Hannah was kind of out of his thinking but (to paraphrase) ... 'a woman who works in the office at Valley Ranch approached me and said "my dad said you should keep an eye on Hannah ..."

I googled her dad and didn't see he was a Col or HS coach or anything ??? Junior high coach, friends of the family?

*** ???

Maybe we should all approach Ireland with our "pet cats" ... or maybe Ireland just wanted to make an impression on his hot co-worker ..

:lmao:
Her dad (or was it her uncle) is the head coach at UH, I think.

silverbear

Reaction score
Rockytop6;1488565 said:
Bear has CB Arline been signed by anybody? I haven't found anything on it.

Chargers got him...

I keep thinking that Dallas will sign a pure speed merchant as kr/pr. I assume the job is Stanback's then along with his WR duties. I know he has blazing speed but at his size I don't know if he is the best for the position.

Well, I kinda think that Miles Austin deserves a serious crack at the job, don't you??

Here's a pretty good link for keeping track of free agent signings:

http://theredzone.org/2007/draft/udfa/index.asp

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
silverbear;1487552 said:
RB/FB Jackie Battle-- will compete with Tyson Thompson for the 3rd RB job, I think the Boys might like to get bigger here, and with Isaiah Stanback and Miles Austin making Tyson expendable on kick returns, the Battle-ship might just have a chance... let's rate his chances a 7.0...

Always enjoy reading your posts.

You think Battle will be competing with Thompson for a roster spot rather than Polite or Hoyt?

And with respect to Turner, how do you see the OG depth chart?

Bizwah

Reaction score
Battle looks good running the ball. You look at his measurables and drool. He's 6-2 240 and runs a 4.4 forty.....also throw in a 40+ vertical.

Most of the time you look at numbers like these and wonder why a guy doesn't get drafted.

I looked at his production. This last year was his most productive one, and he couldn't crack 1,000 yards. With all that speed, he averaged right around 4.8 yards a carry. You'd expect more ypc from a top-flight college runner. It also appears he missed a number of games.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Bizwah;1488784 said:
Battle looks good running the ball. You look at his measurables and drool. He's 6-2 240 and runs a 4.4 forty.....also throw in a 40+ vertical.

Most of the time you look at numbers like these and wonder why a guy doesn't get drafted.

I looked at his production. This last year was his most productive one, and he couldn't crack 1,000 yards. With all that speed, he averaged right around 4.8 yards a carry. You'd expect more ypc from a top-flight college runner. It also appears he missed a number of games.

I haven't seen much of him but from what I have seen he appears to be a fairly straight line power runner who is not particularly shifty.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Forgetting Battle's size and speed and workout numbers, he made some really good cuts in that video. He definitely showed some vision and cutting ability that Tyson Thompson doesn't have.