Twitter: What UFA 2020 rookies makes the w/o preseason games?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I admit I don't know enough about this class to make a call. Just curious if posters that follows college football know enough to suggest a couple of players as a slam dunk make the team. Again, remember no OTAs, preseason games, and min training camp.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/15-undrafted-rookies-agree-to-join-2020-class

https://www.dallascowboys.com/photos/15-undrafted-rookies-agree-to-join-2020-class

https://insidethestar.com/dallas-cowboys-2020-undrafted-free-agent-tracker/
  • Sewo Olonilua, Running Back, TCU per Bobby Belt
  • Garrett Marino, Defensive Tackle, UAB per Terez Paylor
  • Ladarius Hamilton, EDGE, North Texas per Tom Pelissero
  • Aaron Parker, Wide Receiver, URI, per Mark Daniels
  • Francis Bernard, Linebacker, Utah, per Michael Gehlken
  • Rico Dowdle, Running Back, South Carolina per Bobby Belt
  • Sean McKeon, Tight End, Michigan per Josh Henschke
  • Ron’Dell Carter, EDGE, James Madison, per Greg Madia
  • Terence Steele, Tackle, Texas Tech, per Clarence Hill Jr
  • Stephen Guidry, Wide Receiver, Mississippi State
  • Azur Kamara, EDGE, Kansas
  • Luther Kirk, Safety, Illinois State
  • Charlie Taumoepaeu, Tight End, Portland State
  • Kendrick Rogers, Wide Receiver, Texas A&M, per agent

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I'm going with 3

Rondell Carter DE
Luther Kirk. S
Sewo Olonilua FB

One of the receivers might and Francis Bernard at LB has a shot as well.

I say this because in camp guys show out sometimes but in preseason games fade away. Jonvea Johnson is a great example from last year, he makes the team without preseason games last year

jchap

Reaction score
I know nothing of any of these men. I'm going to pick the one that makes it solely off of how footbally the name sounds. The winner is:

Garrett Marino.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
(Here are my cuts to 80)

I prefer they release guys who have been to camp before, since they already have an idea of what they have there and don't know yet on this years UDFAs.

1 K Kai Forbath 2011
2 LS Joe Fortunato Ind 2017
3 CB Saivion Smith Jax 2019
4 CB Deonte Burton Atl GB Hou Ind 2017
5 RB Jordan Chunn 2018
6 QB Clayton Thorson (no preseason, no need) Phi 2019
7 OL Cody Wichmann LAR Ten 2015
8 OL Marcus Henry NO Sea NO Hou 2016
9 OL Wyatt Miller NYJ Cin 2019
10 WR Tevin Jones Hou KC Pit 2016

Other possibility
TE Cole Hikutini SF Min 2017
CB CJ Goodwin (STs only, appears they are trying to replace him)

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
they have to cut ten players then cut seven more when they sign there draft picks dont they

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
(Here are my cuts to 80)

I prefer they release guys who have been to camp before, since they already have an idea of what they have there and don't know yet on this years UDFAs.

1 K Kai Forbath 2011
2 LS Joe Fortunato Ind 2017
3 CB Saivion Smith Jax 2019
4 CB Deonte Burton Atl GB Hou Ind 2017
5 RB Jordan Chunn 2018
6 QB Clayton Thorson (no preseason, no need) Phi 2019
7 OL Cody Wichmann LAR Ten 2015
8 OL Marcus Henry NO Sea NO Hou 2016
9 OL Wyatt Miller NYJ Cin 2019
10 WR Tevin Jones Hou KC Pit 2016

Other possibility
TE Cole Hikutini SF Min 2017
CB CJ Goodwin (STs only, appears they are trying to replace him)
Seems to be a safe list. I guess Forbath has a shot if the other guy just completely falls off. Someone is going to have to beat Goodwin out which could happen with new staff.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm going with 3

Rondell Carter DE
Luther Kirk. S
Sewo Olonilua FB

One of the receivers might and Francis Bernard at LB has a shot as well.

I say this because in camp guys show out sometimes but in preseason games fade away. Jonvea Johnson is a great example from last year, he makes the team without preseason games last year

Jonvea got cut with the hope of reclaiming him to the practice squad.
Maybe its a reason why he was undrafted just as a reason why he did not make the final cut.

He's speedy and you's like to see him translate that speed to the playing field. but he really needs to finish

But he really tailed off and wore down the more the summer went on..the more the grind and toll took on him. Disappeared in preseason.
If he can maintain a high catch radius and drastically make the catches vs the drops, and he can't keep getting
knocked off his routes and play with more urgency and authority. He can add the speed dimension and separation ability that i don't think
Cedrick Wilson has.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I don’t think any of them are likely to make it. Time is so compressed for the UDFA’s and with no games... it hurts.

If I had to pick a couple that I think have a shot I’d go with:

Rondell Carter DE

and

Francis Bernard LB

With Bernard having the best chance IMO.

I’d love for Olonilua to make it but I don’t think he’ll have enough time to unseat Olawale, unfortunately.

Bernard plays like his hair is on fire and is a tough SOB. I hope he finds his way on the team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s going to be tough evaluating players based strictly off practices/scrimmages and no preseason games. This is going to give a big edge to our draft picks and leave the undrafted free agents in a bind.

quickccc

Reaction score
I admit I don't know enough about this class to make a call. Just curious if posters that follows college football know enough to suggest a couple of players as a slam dunk make the team. Again, remember no OTAs, preseason games, and min training camp.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/15-undrafted-rookies-agree-to-join-2020-class

https://www.dallascowboys.com/photos/15-undrafted-rookies-agree-to-join-2020-class

this Pandemic crisis is just gonna cripple these guys chances of making the best impression, ..and you just cannot do that
with zero OTA's and zero preseason games. It's gonna be " enny minny minny mo " with this cre. i dunno if this gives 7th rd QB DiNucci the chance he needs to impress and make the team.
So unfair. i wish the NFL would have at least given these guys the 2 preseason games.
:(

quickccc

Reaction score
- After i heard that Cowboys were moving TCU halfback Sewo Olonilua, to FB, and knowing he was a weight room fanatic with
his 430 pound bench press and 700 pound squat, i was intrigued with what he could bring vs what we've seen with Jamele Olawele.
He is a physical runner but can he be a physical lead/blitz blocker ? If he can adapt to FB then we'd have a much more physical
back that can swing both as a FB.. and occasional RB in a injury pinch.

- Luther Kirk has ball hawk INT skills, he's more center field than in box and he really major work on his tackling he's PS material.

- Francis Benard has instincts and aggression that works for him and against him. He can anticipate and get ahead of a developing play
but he can overrun and over-pursue plays too. Average athleticism but could he surprise with his read/react skills to be one of the
seven LBs we will be needing. Could he be a special teams ace ?

- another project move i thought about for awhile is Portland St. TE Charlie Taumoepaeu, to FB.
i dunno what to make of Taumoepaeu's; a few profiles suggest he doesn't have the athleticism.and separation skills to factor at TE in NFL.
but his feisty demeanor and bullish run skills could suggest a move to FB.

- Stephen Guildry's profile has me intrigued. Has size and 4.4 speed and ability to get over the top of the defense quickly.
Speed dimension. Needs work on polishing, finishing plays and showing more urgency in traffic and making plays with defenders
hanging on him.

- Garrett marino is incredibly monster weight room strong, He supposedly can bench presses over 500 pounds
and did 41 reps of 225 at his Pro day workout, but lacks ideal size, length and top athleticism.
You have to find a role for him and scheme him, looks like he can be groomed as a rotation on the PS.

- If Michigan TE Sean McKeon can impress with his in line blocking which is pretty much what he did, and show some short range
receiving skills, could he unseat Schultz ?
But he'd have to be head and shoulders stand out impressive in that area vs Schutlz, imo.

- Azur Kamara, who several like as a project edge rusher., but he faces such an uphill battle with the likes of Jackson, Jelks already on
the team.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Jonvea got cut with the hope of reclaiming him to the practice squad.
Maybe its a reason why he was undrafted just as a reason why he did not make the final cut.

He's speedy and you's like to see him translate that speed to the playing field. but he really needs to finish

But he really tailed off and wore down the more the summer went on..the more the grind and toll took on him. Disappeared in preseason.
If he can maintain a high catch radius and drastically make the catches vs the drops, and he can't keep getting
knocked off his routes and play with more urgency and authority. He can add the speed dimension and separation ability that i don't think
Cedrick Wilson has.
When I watched him in preseason his drops were from looking up field instead of looking the ball in. He made some plays even in the last game he played in so I don't think it's because he wore down. I believe he wins the 4th spot this year.

plasticman

Reaction score
Who knows? I'll bet even the coaches don't know. They haven't seen jack from any of them. No minicamps, no meeting except online. These guys normally have limited opportunities to show what they can do as it is and now they have close to nothing.

What would have happened if this was during the season that Romo was an UFA. He barely made it when it was his first season. Would the Cowboys have discovered Bill Bates? Miles Austin? I don't think so.

When the regular season starts, those games count, this team isn't going to screw around worrying about player #55 on the roster. Unfortunately for some of these guys who worked for years to get there, their opportunities are going to be extremely abbreviated.

cristglo

Reaction score

Hawk that is a really good question and truly a hard one to answer. Without any game time play it will be hard to evaluate players. If your a RB I find it really hard to make the team with Zeke and Pollard. They have cut down the roster size so that will make it even tougher for guys to make the team. Same goes with WR's you got Gallup Amari CD. Being that its a new coaching staff Brown,Wilson and Smith only edge is that they know the System.
I would think that our draft picks would have a leg up but then you got injuries. Im sure there will be a ton of those because of the lack of practice. Then you have to worry if players will opt out. This could be a season like what we had with the scab players. lol