What was the deal with the red flag/lost time out?

joseephuss

Reaction score
I didn't understand why Dallas lost a time out. Did they actually call time out and it was missed by the announcers. It just didn't sound right to me that Dallas should lose a time out.

By the way, I didn't get a great look at it, but Williams may have not gotten two feet in on that play. They didn't show it again for me to get a better evaluation. Still lame on Parcells not to do a better job of getting the red flag in front of an official especially after the Dolphins/Steelers game. If he wanted to challenge the call, then be aggressive in challenging.

joseephuss

Reaction score
No one knows the answer? It was a new one on me. I never saw a team lose a timeout for not being allowed to challenge a play.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
I think it's because he took the ref's time arguing the fact that he threw the challenge flag and stuff.

joseephuss

Reaction score
MikeCowboy3189 said:
I think it's because he took the ref's time arguing the fact that he threw the challenge flag and stuff.

They didn't charge Saban and the Dolphins with a time out.

I don't think it changed the outcome too much, but with that third timeout, Dallas may have kicked deep instead of attempting the on sides kick. Could have changed where the final drive started as far as field position,. It still would have been a tough comeback, but who knows.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I think the rule goes something like this -- if you throw the flag and it wastes time you lose your challenge -- coaches were throwing the flag to make the refs come over so they could yell at them so the new rule was instituted -- one this one the refs screwed up -- Bill threw the flag before the snap and they missed it.

BigDPlayer

Reaction score
I think the deal was that since the call was an unchallengeable call, and he threw the flag out and play was stopped, they charged us a TO. Still, sounds awfully fishy to me.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
BigDPlayer said:
I think the deal was that since the call was an unchallengeable call, and he threw the flag out and play was stopped, they charged us a TO. Still, sounds awfully fishy to me.

No, the ref saw the flag for the 2nd play - Bill was challenging the first play but the ref missed that.

jimmy40

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I think the rule goes something like this -- if you throw the flag and it wastes time you lose your challenge -- coaches were throwing the flag to make the refs come over so they could yell at them so the new rule was instituted -- one this one the refs screwed up -- Bill threw the flag before the snap and they missed it.
The ref can't continue to watch the coach all freaking night. Bill threw the flag a second before the snap, that doesn't cut it.

goshan

Reaction score
abersonc said:

He threw the challenge flag about 1 second before the snap. Of course the refs didn't see it--they were focused on the play.

If Bill wanted to challenge, he should have thrown it a lot earlier.

jlust22

Reaction score
From Matt Mosley's Cowboys Blog

Parcells on what he was trying to challenge in the fourth quarter: "I didn't think the official stopped the clock when their receiver went out of bounds. On the play in front of Newman, I don't think they stopped the clock...I'm just trying to get their attention. I thought by throwing the red flag it would get it."

goshan

Reaction score
Doesn't he know if you throw the flag on the field you lose a timeout?

notherbob

Reaction score
As much respect as I have for Parcells, he didn't coach well today and, like Drew Bledsoe, whom I also respect, didn't make good decisions either. Still, he has built a pretty good team here. Let's see if they learn from their mistakes and improve as the season rolls along; after all, the Jags were no pushovers.