What Was Your Favorite Cowboys Era?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The Jimmy era.

I was able to follow all details from the minute Jerry bought the team all the way through the Super Bowl wins and then Jimmy's departure.

I knew Jimmy would build a winner and that Jerry would spend the money to make it happen.

I was one of very few that loved it when Jerry bought the team and hired Jimmy.

The team was going nowhere with Bum Bright as the owner and it was time for Landry and Tex to retire.

I first attended training camp in 1992 before the first Jimmy era Super Bowl. That was an awesome experience with only a few fans in attendance. I attended again in 93 and 95 as well as some other years since then.

I was one of the few too.
Writers today make it sound like it was a slam dunk decision. But Jerry and Jimmy were roundly criticized for being seen eating at Tom Landry's favorite restaurant and for the way they treated Landry.
But many Cowboys fans realized it was time for Landry to go even before Jerry bought the team.
Then, when the Cowboys traded Herschel Walker, much of the national press laughed at them and called them "bumpkins." They mocked them for trading their best player.
I remember reading all the articles I could get my hands on because I thought it was a STUPENDOUS trade.
I couldn't wait for the draft. I knew Jimmy wasn't going to be suckered into keeping those average players over the draft picks. And Jimmy ended up keeping them AND the picks.

I went through the 70s with Dorsett (my favorite player) and Staubach. But it's easily the 90s for me.
Teams were scared of us then. Now teams just laugh at us. :(

BillyBates

Reaction score
I would go with late 60s, started as a little varmint, the beginning of many Sundays I watched Cowboys football games with my father through the 70s....the 80s was tough, real tough..90s man O man good times indeed.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Good afternoon all, I was sitting here pondering my length of time as a Cowboys fan and a thought came to mind. What is my favorite Cowboys Era? It's really eye opening when you talk to people who were born in the 90s or after who are not historians of the team, and they are really lost when you mention players like Scott Laidlaw, Aaron Kyle, Glen Carano, Efren Herrera, Doug Cosbie, etc....Although I was born in the 70's I still did my research on the team's of the 60s because I love my Cowboys, however I can only talk about what I've seen. I would have to say that my favorite era was from 1977 to 1987. Because as a kid during this time period I was able to watch the games with my family and develop love for my favorite players (Tony Hill, Tony Dorsett, Drew Pearson,etc..)

90's by far.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Tell me about it. They always made me go to bed around 8pm for those Monday night games of glory...:angry:
I know of that very feeling of slowly impending building dread, casting quick glances at the clock "o.k. i got 15 more minutes to watch the game,,, 5 minutes of commercials,,, NOOOooooooo!
( although 9pm was my boot to the back porch time, it sucked big time during a COWBOYS mnf )

cowboyec

Reaction score
I know of that very feeling of slowly impending building dread, casting quick glances at the clock "o.k. i got 15 more minutes to watch the game,,, 5 minutes of commercials,,, NOOOooooooo!
( although 9pm was my boot to the back porch time, it sucked big time during a COWBOYS mnf )
but Id close my door...lay on the floor and listen under the crack.
thankfully my dad had the volume cranked.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
but Id close my door...lay on the floor and listen under the crack.
thankfully my dad had the volume cranked.
:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

Ha, my dad would rotate the Magnavox or Zenith
( I can't remember, he didn't like buying t.v.'s very often,I can remember a television repair man driving a purple van coming over two or three times) color picture, furniture grade, wood encased T.V. that weighed about 200 lbs. 180° to where he could lay in bed and watch T.V. ( he rolled out around 5a.m.in the mornings, so that bedtime order was pretty rigidly set)

Melonfeud

Reaction score
When Roger the Dodger and touchdown Tony D was playing... Ed too-tall Jones, Harvey Martin, Randy White... those were the years my friends, I thought they'd never end... :)
:thumbup: ha, I had just pushed play on that
" song " over on the YouTube a couple of times this past week
( she's a pretty blond haired gal,her first name starts with "J" & I think the last one starts with a "G",,,and,that's all I got concerning that)