What was your worst year to be a Cowboys Fan?

quickccc

Reaction score
1-15 in 1989 aikman and Jimmie johnson first year rookies.
...realize that is just one win more than Rod Marinelli's winless 0-16 season with Detroit Lions as head coach.

- it's at it's worst very when you flat out cannot compete with the rest of the NFL world.

- it gradually started to change for the better, when we got emmitt, we greatly improved the OL, we added support cast such as Novachek, martin Harper, we improved our coordinators (al Norv Turner) and we started adding very defensive pieces and depth. :clap:

LandryDay

Reaction score
Eh I’m a little mixed on this one. The most heartbroken I’ve felt ever as a Cowboy was 2017 (2016 Season) when the Packers made the last second FG to knock us out of playoffs. The season was so good and our rookies really made us look like it could be The year. I went from almost heart attack mode watching D Bailey nail his attempt then instantly got sucker punched by last second drive and FG the other way.

Swagger

Reaction score
I think mine is the 2015 season. Fresh off of the no catch. Expectations high. 2-0 start. Romo hot we look damn good. Then the crash. Romo comes back we look like we have a shot. Romo breaks it again. Man that year stung
I think the 2015 season is why a lot of people hate Romo and love Prescott.

'15 was painful as in '14 we didn't even have our best defender then Sean Lee yet he played and balled out in '15.

Romo continually getting hurt that season was the straw that broke the camels back for many (mind the pun). The defense played pretty well in '15 but the offense couldn't get anything going without Romo. Despite the offense We were in most games for three quarters until the defense were gassed.

Prescott has been exceptionally durable and he doesn't lose games like Cassel and Weeden. Fans like that about him and as a result enjoy the team winning games. I can understand the reasoning.

Imo we didn't have the defense to win the Superbowl in '14 so I'm not really that gutted about the Dez no catch.

2016 is far more painful as we had a more complete loaded roster, we had home field advantage and we had the running game to defeat the Falcons at home in the NFC Championship game. Yet we couldn't even beat the Packers at home with backups in their secondary. Rusty from resting players, poor coaching in being ill prepared and inexperience at QB all cost us a huge shot at the SB.

Blackrain

Reaction score
That would be 1995 . Barry Switzer winning a Superbowl set the stage for the next 25 yrs of failure and mediocrity . It confirmed Jerrys belief that anyone could coach the team and devalued coaching in his mind up to this season .

In the salary cap era when you could no longer buy a championship and the best teams tried to find the very best HCs because there was no cap on coaching we have muddled through with substandard coaching up to this point and it has been our downfall .

phildadon86

Reaction score
Honestly. The most recent season. 2019. Because of the simple fact we wasted a great team so Jerry could save face and not fire a coach he knew wasn’t up to par. Garrett sabotaged the offense and apparently now the defense and lost the team. Then won a meaningless game which only resulted in lower draft position in true Garrett form. 2019 is my worst year. With 2014 losing to a one legged Rodgers being a close second.

NotForLong

Reaction score
2016, our strongest team in 2 decades and it was wasted with a Rookie QB still learning the game & learning how to throw an accurate pass

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Imo we didn't have the defense to win the Superbowl in '14 so I'm not really that gutted about the Dez no catch.

2016 is far more painful as we had a more complete loaded roster, we had home field advantage and we had the running game to defeat the Falcons at home in the NFC Championship game. Yet we couldn't even beat the Packers at home with backups in their secondary. Rusty from resting players, poor coaching in being ill prepared and inexperience at QB all cost us a huge shot at the SB.

Going into the playoffs in 2014, we had nothing on the dline. Most of the dline was on the verge of being washed out of the league immediately, or in a year. McClain was out for the game because of injury. We had nothing. It really was a clown show.
Murray was running out of gas too. But Romo was a complete stud. He had an MVP level year, and he was at his best in December.

December Stats

Murray 2014 - 4.0 ypc. - worst of the year. It had dropped each month.
Romo 2014 - 133.7 QB rating - best of the year

Zeke 2016 - 5.5 ypc (2nd best of the year. October was insane, 6.0ypc, 130 yards per game)
Dak 2016 - 96.5 QB rating - near his September worst of 93.3.

Swagger

Reaction score
Going into the playoffs in 2014, we had nothing on the dline. Most of the dline was on the verge of being washed out of the league immediately, or in a year. McClain was out for the game because of injury. We had nothing. It really was a clown show.
Murray was running out of gas too. But Romo was a complete stud. He had an MVP level year, and he was at his best in December.

December Stats

Murray 2014 - 4.0 ypc. - worst of the year. It had dropped each month.
Romo 2014 - 133.7 QB rating - best of the year

Zeke 2016 - 5.5 ypc (2nd best of the year. October was insane, 6.0ypc, 130 yards per game)
Dak 2016 - 96.5 QB rating - near his September worst of 93.3.

Completely agree.

Our defense was on its knees by that play off game in 2014. The defense was far stronger throughout 2016.

I genuinely worry about people who are unable to see the wood from the trees.

75boyz

Reaction score
What was your worst year as a Cowboys fan?

Mine was 1988. In my lifetime, which started in 1965, the Cowboys had never won less than 7 games in a season, except for the strike shortened 1982 season, when they went 6-3 and made the NFL championship game for the 3rd straight season. And they had only 3 seasons of 7 wins (1965, 1986 & 1987) in that time. At the age of 23, I had witnessed 20 consecutive winning seasons from 1966-1985. The Cowboys had started 6-2 in 1986 on their way to a 21st winning season, only to crater to a 1-7 finish after Danny White was injured, and Steve Pelleur took over at Quarterback. 1986 was their first losing season since 1964, and the first I had ever witnessed.

To watch Tom Landry suffer through the humiliation of a 3-13 season in 1988 was excruciating. That was BEFORE he got fired in February 1989.

Both Stealer SB losses, The Catch and the 2007 squad that I thought was the best overall roster(still is in my opinion) since the 90s team rosters.

wrongway

Reaction score
There were so many doubts and questions after the 1989 season. That season was a complete disaster and made Jerry and Jimmy look like bafoons who didn’t know what they were doing. Even with all the draft picks the Cowboys got in the Herschel Walker trade many questioned the decision to trade him. Many questioned Aikman after going 0-11. He took a real beating that season and some thought his confidence may have been ruined. That was the biggest concern for me with was whether his confidence was still intact.

Nothing can make a young highly touted QB go bust quicker than losing their confidence. The next real concern was Irvin’s ACL injury. Players didn’t always come back as good from ACL’s back then. I’ll never forget how bad I felt about the team after that season. Never would I have imagined they would go from that miserable season to winning back to back Super Bowl’s in 92 and 93.
Yup, that is what made tgat 92 win soooo amazing. To go from such crap to that. Wow

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Both Stealer SB losses, The Catch and the 2007 squad that I thought was the best overall roster(still is in my opinion) since the 90s team rosters.

The Giants dline was just magical that year. They rolled over Romo, Favre, and even the almighty Tom Brady the best season of the career of The GOAT, maybe the best season for any QB ever.

With TO only good for half the game, and Terry Glenn a gimp not fit to ever play again, the team was a Patrick Crayton pull up on what should have been the winning TD away from winning that game and then *hosting* the NFC Championship. They were that close. Closer than Brady got to winning in the SB.

Radiashun

Reaction score
The Campo years, 88-89, 2007, losing the division in week 17 3 years in a row, the 20-0 playoff loss to the Rams, losing to the Cardinals in the playoffs, the catch (both of them), Deion's non called pass interference and a missed FG away from a possible 4 SB in a row...all horrible. But I'm surprised no one mentioned 82. Losing half the season to a strike was horrible, and as a 9 year old I felt like Christmas was taken away. And then the Cowboys make the NFC championship game only to be stomped by the Commanders. I still remember the stands shaking at RFK. Now it was partly age, but man, it took me a long time to get over that one. I sure did enjoy the 31-30 season opening rematch in 83, though.