What we know and what we don’t know

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Our turn-around last season tells me that the Cowboys have always been a better team, but were held back by poor management decisions and bad coaching. Once we finally obtained a WR1 we went on a tear. Now that Moore is calling the O, we are even more on a tear. Something tells me that something similar to that needs to happen to the D, to "awaken" the talent that's there and maximize its ability.
Are you suggesting possibly a run at Jalen Ramsey?:omg:

JohnBoy

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like we really need CBs, or honestly even Safeties, although my opinion on that might change over the next 3-4 games. Seems we might need some DTs. But really I wasn't trying to hint at adding a superstar player on D, just that maybe we need a Kellen Moore equivalent calling it.

Verdict

Reaction score
Every year about this time (with less than 1/4 of the season done) many fans watch 3 games and begin to assume we know everything there is to know about this team. We look at 3 games and make assumptions that somehow can be applied to the whole season. That’s just what we as fans do. But it’s often not accurate.

Let’s look at what we know and don’t know about this team so far this season:
WHAT WE KNOW:
  • This is a talented team on both sides of the ball.
  • Kellen Moore has pumped new life and new wrinkles into our offense.
  • Dak Prescott is not just a “bus driver”.
  • Our OL has returned to its expected strength.
  • We are off to a really good start overall.
  • It takes more than 3 games to know what a team is and isn’t.
WHAT WE DON’T KNOW:
  • Will the defense be able to get more TO’s and sacks this year?
  • Three games into a long season, we don’t know what teams on our schedule are going to emerge as stronger than they look now. (Many teams get better as the season goes on- we did last year)
  • How will Kellen Moore handle having some NFL defensive coordinators study film and throw some unexpected defensive schemes at him?
  • What injuries may have an effect on us or other teams the rest of the season?
  • What adversity will we face that cannot be seen now? Trust me- all good teams face and are measured by adversity.
One thing I know will happen- there will be surprises that are not foreseeable. That’s what happens every year in the NFL.

What else do we know and not know?

1. We don’t know how well the defense will “gel” as time goes on. Let’s hope they continue to get better over time.

2. We don’t know if the defense is as bad as they currently seem to be. We have played some pretty bad offensive teams so far and have applied very little pass rush pressure on opposing QBs.

3. We don’t know if Tank is going to continue to under perform his contract.

4. We don’t know how much of the offense’s explosiveness is tied to the development of Gallup and as a subcategory, if Gallup plays well enough for the Cowboys to allow Amari to move on to another team after this year.

5. We don’t know how much of the offense’s explosiveness is tied to just playing really bad teams.

6. The eyeball test says out defense isn’t very good. Stats seem to imply that the defense has played OK. We don’t know which one is more relatable and which one should be believed.

7. We don’t know how much the DC is holding out of the playbook due to the fact we haven’t needed to do that much defensively to win.

reddyuta

Reaction score
We actually tried some blitzes yesterday but they were so telegraphed,at some point we have to question this simplistic scheme.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We actually tried some blitzes yesterday but they were so telegraphed,at some point we have to question this simplistic scheme.
Yeah...but it’s hard to question the results though. If we had 10 sacks in 3 games but were 1-2 would that make us feel better about the D? This defense hasn’t played as bad as many here have said. I want to wait before proclaiming anything definitive about this team yet. But surely we can agree that being 3-0 and with a two game lead in the NFC east is good.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score

I don't think any of those blitzes yesterday were aimed at sacking the QB. They were sent to tie of the line, and free up the edge rushers. In the 2nd half we started to see the D be more aggressive, they blitzed, they ran some combo stunts, they did some zone blitzes, etc.. this led to confusing the OL, getting 3 sacks and several pressures and holding the dolphins scoreless and to 65 total yards. We haven't seen any that i remember slot blitzes like we did last year or delayed blitzes, those are designed to get pressure by the blitzer, I think what we saw yesterday was straight LB blitz that forced 1 on 1 with the edge rushers while preventing the QB from climbing the pocket.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We know that a 3-0 start has provided us a 93% chance of making the playoffs based on our history of starting 3-0 in 14 of 15 seasons.

8 of those seasons we’ve made it to at least the championship game with 5 Super Bowls winning 3.

Since 1980 75% of NFL teams starting 3-0 made the playoffs.[/QUOT. .

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
I am full of confidence with this team. More than at anytime since 1992. And I thought then that we would win the super bowl. I think the same about this team. But of course we never truly know what a team will do, and we won't truly know what this team will do, until the very moment after the last game we play.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
This is one of the best offenses I can remember in some time for the Cowboys. We have weapons all over the place, literally. I feel really good about our chances this year with a young bright OC and our weapons. The defense, I'm just not sure about. I guess time will tell, and it helps getting Quinn, but I cannot say with confidence (at this point) that I feel great about them. Who knows though? They may still be finding their stride. I mean, we do have some really good players on that side of the ball.

Flamma

Reaction score
we were done, just because people got excited by beating the SeaHawks what teh Rams did to us was expected, a bit quick on the field, but was expected.

Yep. They ran all over us. Stop that and put a little pressure on that Goff dude, and he's done.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Yep. They ran all over us. Stop that and put a little pressure on that Goff dude, and he's done.

i dont argue that. I feel anyone who knows the Cowboys like they claim they do, knew the season was over when the Cowboys decided to go WRBC. Of course we had to pay the piper and so far its been ok, not great, but ok. Not only did some of us know it, real life proved us right.

A few mistakes the Cowboys made again for this season, everything is rolling well so no need for me to act a negative nancy. The playoffs will determine the season.

JustChip

Reaction score
I say it takes a lot more than 4 games. Look at last year. Did we know what kind of team we were after 4 games? After 8 games we were 3-5.
Actually, we did know after 4 games which is why the move was made 2 games later to get Amari Cooper.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
We know that Linehan was responsible for regressing the offense and slowing down the development of Dak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What we also know is more talent is better. On offense we’ve surrounded Dak from the onset with Cooper( not until week 8 last year), Cobb in FA, Pollard in draft, and return of Witten.

Not to mention healthiest this OL has been since probably 2016 with return of Frederick along with Smith and Martin not nursing injuries.

Throw in some fresh play calling with Moore and we have an apparent offensive juggernaut. Still to be more hotly contested but nevertheless jelling on all cylinders early.

What we know is Dak is more effective with more talent and supporting cast. And this appears to be the best job we’ve done in providing it.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Only 2 things I know so far.

Dak Prescott looks like a totally different Qb this year ..... From his stance, his delivery, his release, just excellent.

Kellen Moore is calling plays much much different than last year's OC.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our turn-around last season tells me that the Cowboys have always been a better team, but were held back by poor management decisions and bad coaching. Once we finally obtained a WR1 we went on a tear. Now that Moore is calling the O, we are even more on a tear. Something tells me that something similar to that needs to happen to the D, to "awaken" the talent that's there and maximize its ability.

Very well said.

I think that there is some 'old school', stubborn, and predictable coaching going on on the defensive side of the ball like there was on offense last year.