What went wrong in 2008?

fortdick

Reaction score
First, let me say I blame Wade Phillips for the two big runs the Ravens pulled off in the 4th quarter. Whatever defense was called didn't work the first time, so why come back to it the second time?

That being said, I don't blame Wade for the sub par season the cowboys had this year. It was the injuries, folks. Too many games were decided by the absence of a player or players to make the key stops, or gain the needed yards. If it had only made a two win difference, we wouldn't be complaining about not making the playoffs and would be reveling in a consecutive NFC East championship.

Losing Newman for as much time as we did really hurt this defense. With Newman not in there, we had to play conservatively. I blame the Washington loss to Newman's injury, even though he tried to play through it. When you have a corner that can man up on any team's best receiver and not have to pull the safety over to help, it allows a defense to play much more aggressively.

Of course losing Roy Williams (38) was a blessing in some people's eyes, but I have to wonder if the Ravens would have made those two runs with him in there. He may be suspect in coverage, but no more than Keith Davis, and he definately can play run support.

Anthony Spencer's injury is more telling as the season goes on. Ellis is just a shadow of his former self and Spencer is starting to have more and more impact on the field. Could he have made a difference in the games he missed? I think so.

The Kosier injury was big. Proctor is seviceable, but on a championship team, serviceable is not enough. A lot of folks around here talked badly about Kosier, but I think his absence has demonstrated more than anything how effective he is. Holland never really got a chance to show what he could do, so I do not really consider him as a critical injury, but still, he may have been better than Proctor.

Losing Felix Jones and then Marion Barber are huge losses. Although Choice has proved to be more than capable, there is no change of pace and we lack the explosiveness, or the WOW factor, that Felix brought. Plus, both Jones and Barber seems to be much better receivers.

Losing McBriar hurt us a lot more than we think. Against the Ravens, or even the Steelers, field position was critical. Not having our Pro Bowl punter hurt us in both games. He could have made a huge difference in both games.

Finally, Romo being hurt was a moajor catastrophie. Could we have won the Cardinal game if he hadn't got hurt? I think it was a very good chance he would have driven for a field goal. Could we have beaten the Rams with Romo? Most certainly! The Giants? Maybe, maybe not. Even against the Ravens you have to suspect his back wasn't right. I think that the back injury is more the cause of his poor first half performance rather than some mythical inability to win in December.

So in my estimation injuries cost us at least two losses, maybe three.

Washington - Newman injury
Arizona - Romo
St. Louis - Romo, Jones

Possible losses that we could have won if not for injuries:

Steelers - Barber, Jones, Kosier, McBriar
Ravens - Romo, Barber, Jones, Kosier, McBriar, Williams (38)

Say of those five losses, two were wins without injuries. Our record would be 11-4 right now and we would be on the Giants heels. 11-5 or 12-4 would match most of our predictions before the season started. And almost everyone of us made those predictions with the caveat, "barring injuries."

edit: I don't consider stupidity an injury, so Pacman is not an issue.

goshan

Reaction score
barber injury had little impact
choice is just as good

jimmy40

Reaction score
fortdick;2514096 said:
First, let me say I blame Wade Phillips for the two big runs the Ravens pulled off in the 4th quarter. Whatever defense was called didn't work the first time, so why come back to it the second time?

That being said, I don't blame Wade for the sub par season the cowboys had this year. It was the injuries, folks. Too many games were decided by the absence of a player or players to make the key stops, or gain the needed yards. If it had only made a two win difference, we wouldn't be complaining about not making the playoffs and would be reveling in a consecutive NFC East championship.

Losing Newman for as much time as we did really hurt this defense. With Newman not in there, we had to play conservatively. I blame the Washington loss to Newman's injury, even though he tried to play through it. When you have a corner that can man up on any team's best receiver and not have to pull the safety over to help, it allows a defense to play much more aggressively.

Of course losing Roy Williams (38) was a blessing in some people's eyes, but I have to wonder if the Ravens would have made those two runs with him in there. He may be suspect in coverage, but no more than Keith Davis, and he definately can play run support.

Anthony Spencer's injury is more telling as the season goes on. Ellis is just a shadow of his former self and Spencer is starting to have more and more impact on the field. Could he have made a difference in the games he missed? I think so.

The Kosier injury was big. Proctor is seviceable, but on a championship team, serviceable is not enough. A lot of folks around here talked badly about Kosier, but I think his absence has demonstrated more than anything how effective he is. Holland never really got a chance to show what he could do, so I do not really consider him as a critical injury, but still, he may have been better than Proctor.

Losing Felix Jones and then Marion Barber are huge losses. Although Choice has proved to be more than capable, there is no change of pace and we lack the explosiveness, or the WOW factor, that Felix brought. Plus, both Jones and Barber seems to be much better receivers.

Losing McBriar hurt us a lot more than we think. Against the Ravens, or even the Steelers, field position was critical. Not having our Pro Bowl punter hurt us in both games. He could have made a huge difference in both games.

Finally, Romo being hurt was a moajor catastrophie. Could we have won the Cardinal game if he hadn't got hurt? I think it was a very good chance he would have driven for a field goal. Could we have beaten the Rams with Romo? Most certainly! The Giants? Maybe, maybe not. Even against the Ravens you have to suspect his back wasn't right. I think that the back injury is more the cause of his poor first half performance rather than some mythical inability to win in December.

So in my estimation injuries cost us at least two losses, maybe three.

Washington - Newman injury
Arizona - Romo
St. Louis - Romo, Jones

Possible losses that we could have won if not for injuries:

Steelers - Barber, Jones, Kosier, McBriar
Ravens - Romo, Barber, Jones, Kosier, McBriar, Williams (38)

Say of those five losses, two were wins without injuries. Our record would be 11-4 right now and we would be on the Giants heels. 11-5 or 12-4 would match most of our predictions before the season started. And almost everyone of us made those predictions with the caveat, "barring injuries."

edit: I don't consider stupidity an injury, so Pacman is not an issue.

New England lost Tom Brady in the first quarter of game one, injuries are no excuse.

fortdick

Reaction score
jimmy40;2514123 said:
New England lost Tom Brady in the first quarter of game one, injuries are no excuse.

And New England is just about where we are.

While I agree that injuries ar eno excuse, losing your key players as much as we did has an impact.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
"What went wrong" in 2008 is "what went wrong" in 2007.

Hiring Wade Phillips instead of Ron Rivera for starters. And hiring Garrett as some "next Vunder-Child" genius................all folly.

Two typical "Jerry boy" hires. I've been running cover for Jerry for 15 years, but the gig is up. I can no longer do it. Jerry needs to hire a Cowher, a Singletary, a Holmgren, and then go on vacation. Coaching, at the very least, is 75% responsible for this "all star" collection of talent being reduced to mediocrity.
Nobody but Jerry was talking about Phillips as "head coach" material, and with good reason. Where's the resume'? Show me the record. We all saw this two years ago. Not a single playoff win in head-coaching time.

Repeat after me.........Ron Rivera, Ron Rivera, Ron Rivera, Ron Rivera.
THAT, my friends, was the last man standing between Phillips and the HC job in Dallas in early 2007.

Boysboy

Reaction score
lewpac;2514162 said:
"What went wrong" in 2008 is "what went wrong" in 2007.

Hiring Wade Phillips instead of Ron Rivera for starters. And hiring Garrett as some "next Vunder-Child" genius................all folly.

Two typical "Jerry boy" hires. I've been running cover for Jerry for 15 years, but the gig is up. I can no longer do it. Jerry needs to hire a Cowher, a Singletary, a Holmgren, and then go on vacation. Coaching, at the very least, is 75% responsible for this "all star" collection of talent being reduced to mediocrity.
Nobody but Jerry was talking about Phillips as "head coach" material, and with good reason. Where's the resume'? Show me the record. We all saw this two years ago. Not a single playoff win in head-coaching time.

Repeat after me.........Ron Rivera, Ron Rivera, Ron Rivera, Ron Rivera.
THAT, my friends, was the last man standing between Phillips and the HC job in Dallas in early 2007.

Ron Rivera was also turned down by numerous teams despite being a *hot coaching prospect* once upon a time ago ala Garrett. Plus he called a HORRIBLE game plan for the Bears in the Super Bowl by playing alot of zone against Manning instead of attacking him.

No thanks

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
fortdick;2514137 said:

While I agree that injuries ar eno excuse, losing your key players as much as we did has an impact.
please do NOT put us in New Englands category. If we had to play with our backup QB for 16 games we would maybe win 5 games

isawoj

Reaction score
goshan;2514111 said:
barber injury had little impact
choice is just as good
I agree. If Barber didn't make the Pro Bowl last season, he would be described as a guy who is a tough runner with a nore for the end zone when you get it down inside the 10.

I don't need to tear down Barber to make Choice look better, but people fail to realize that Barber averaged less than 65 yards a game last year, even as his carries went up and Jones' went down.

I get sick of people cannonizing Barber any time a poster mentioned Choice and Felix and their talents.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
fortdick;2514137 said:

Yeah, they went 16-0 last season and had the same record we had going into this weekend. I think that proves that injuries ARE an excuse.

We have been very fortunate the last few years in that we have had very few major injuries. This year it caught up with us and we have had a bunch of them.

I think one of the biggest issues this season was in not having a quality backup for Romo. Everyone in the universe outside of the Cowboys staff knew that Brad Johnson was done after his last season in Minnesota but we brought him in anyway. It killed me that we kept him and let Matt Moore walk. Moore may not have been the next Matt Cassel but he was better than Johnson and we would have had a good chance to win a couple more games when Romo was hurt.

The other major area of weakness was on the O-Line. We have zero depth there and that is just stupid IMO. I have a drafting axiom that you always draft an OL on day-1 (well, in the first 3 rounds anyway) as you can never have too much depth there. This season showed that very painfully. When Kosier went down so did our chances to play in the SB. Our offense went into the tank after that.

Boysboy

Reaction score
bbailey423;2514178 said:
please do NOT put us in New Englands category. If we had to play with our backup QB for 16 games we would maybe win 5 games

Brad Johnson > Matt Cassel...Cassel didn't even take a snap at USC...NOT ONE! But en yet, he somehow played well this year. That's COACHING.

sk0aL

Reaction score
It may sound like an excuse and a cop out, but I think the biggest factor this season was injuries. Yes every team deals with them, but we were decimated by them this year.

This is a QB-driven league, and when you lose your pro-bowl signal caller your chances of being successful are slashed by at least 50%, 100% in our case. Not only do you lose Romo, but your new-found homerun-hitter in Felix Jones, Terrance Newman, Kosier, McBriar, RW 31 (still a big part of our run defense), Barber down the stretch... the list goes on.

Throw in heartbreakers like the Arizona game as well as last night, as well as the complete debacle in St. Louis, and you have the difference between a 12-3 team and a 9-6 team.

It really is that simple.

Boysboy

Reaction score
sk0aL;2514229 said:
It may sound like an excuse and a cop out, but I think the biggest factor this season was injuries. Yes every team deals with them, but we were decimated by them this year.

This is a QB-driven league, and when you lose your pro-bowl signal caller your chances of being successful are slashed by at least 50%, 100% in our case. Not only do you lose Romo, but your new-found homerun-hitter in Felix Jones, Terrance Newman, Kosier, McBriar, RW 31 (still a big part of our run defense), Barber down the stretch... the list goes on.

Throw in heartbreakers like the Arizona game as well as last night, as well as the complete debacle in St. Louis, and you have the difference between a 12-3 team and a 9-6 team.

It really is that simple.

We were among the league's healthiest teams the last 2 years-I saw this coming, FWIW.

Too bad we ****** away at that golden opportunity last year. Yes-I felt we would have beaten the Pats as well.:bang2:

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Injuries are a huge factor no matter if it's an excuse or not. Some of you are just clueless.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
We have a GM who acquired bad guys for the lockerroom (like To), overpaid for mediocre players (like Ken Hamlin), and hired a soft coach with a history of not winning come December and January.

It's not rocket science to see why Dallas failed. The organization needs an overhaul more than the roster does.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Double Trouble;2514252 said:
We have a GM who acquired bad guys for the lockerroom (like To), overpaid for mediocre players (like Ken Hamlin), and hired a soft coach with a history of not winning come December and January.

It's not rocket science to see why Dallas failed. The organization needs an overhaul more than the roster does.

Hamlin isn't mediocre-he just had a bad game or 2, that's all.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
headhunterroy05;2514249 said:
Injuries are a huge factor no matter if it's an excuse or not. Some of you are just clueless.

Clue-less huh?
Tell that to the Patriots. A well coached, disciplined "team", playing together for first place in their division. A team who lost, arguably, one of the most important players in the league to injury in week one against the Chiefs.

Every team has injuries. Good teams account for that and project their agenda toward the playoffs accordingly.
Injuries are not the poison pill for this years debacle. The wrong people in place doing atrocious coaching, and a QB who's a highlight film for those who love drama and adventure is the problem. A secondary that STILL is a weakness after all these years, and offensive linemen who make rookie-pre season mental errors during week 15.
This season's tragedy has nothing to do with anything other than "on the field", real time disaster.