What Went Wrong?

cowboywest

Reaction score
Now that the pain of losing has subsided, we should talk about why the Cowboys are still looking for their first playoff win in over a decade. Bill couldn't do it and this year's coaches couldn't deliver either. Here is my take on what went wrong this year:

1. The Offense Fell Flat - We averaged over 32 points a game through the Green Bay win, but the last 4 games our average dropped to 16 points. I like Garrett and am glad he is staying, but he has to learn that in a copycat league, everyone figures out what you are doing and shuts it down. He has to keep adding new wrinkles to stay one step ahead of the defenses.

2. The Defense is Better, but Not Good Enough - We should have been able to beat NY even though we allowed 21 points, but allowing them a TD with 48 seconds remaining in the first half was unforgivable. That collapse along with a generally poor pass defense shows that the defense is not fixed.

3. Lack of Mental Disclipline - The terrible penalties that stopped drives and the passes dropped tell me that the team is not really focused. This is a coaching issue and if Wade and Co. don't get tough on mental mistakes, the Cowboys won't do much better next year.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Good take .....

Post more often ...... we need some clearer heads posting nowadays.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
cowboywest;1911498 said:
Now that the pain of losing has subsided, we should talk about why the Cowboys are still looking for their first playoff win in over a decade. Bill couldn't do it and this year's coaches couldn't deliver either. Here is my take on what went wrong this year:

1. The Offense Fell Flat - We averaged over 32 points a game through the Green Bay win, but the last 4 games our average dropped to 16 points. I like Garrett and am glad he is staying, but he has to learn that in a copycat league, everyone figures out what you are doing and shuts it down. He has to keep adding new wrinkles to stay one step ahead of the defenses.

2. The Defense is Better, but Not Good Enough - We should have been able to beat NY even though we allowed 21 points, but allowing them a TD with 48 seconds remaining in the first half was unforgivable. That collapse along with a generally poor pass defense shows that the defense is not fixed.

3. Lack of Mental Disclipline - The terrible penalties that stopped drives and the passes dropped tell me that the team is not really focused. This is a coaching issue and if Wade and Co. don't get tough on mental mistakes, the Cowboys won't do much better next year.

Thanks Mr. Phillips, I appreciate you posting!

Seriously, this is a young team and they should learn from their mistakes and improve. They just were not good enough and they know that now.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Excellent first post......Welcome to the board.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What went wrong was the clock went to 00:00 and we had fewer points than the Giants did. :laugh2:

Kangaroo

Reaction score
cowboywest;1911498 said:

What went wrong is the players dropped 4 passes which would have made the game a blow out. Garret's offense created the mis match opportunities that they failed to execute on the basic part catching the ball.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
It's interesting and saddening that the 4th quarter of the Giants game was a microcosm of the final quarter of games in our season for our offense.

We started strong for three quarters but fell apart at the end.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
We tried to win a ball game with two broke down receivers and one solid guy with a day of dropsies and no route-sies...:eek::