What were Winston Justice's off-field issues?

VACowboy

Reaction score
I'm thinking he or Lawson may be BPA at #18, unless someone unexpectedly slides.

MrPhil

Reaction score
If I remember correctly he pointed a BB Gun at someone and solicited a prostitute on separate ocassions.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
MrPhil said:
If I remember correctly he pointed a BB Gun at someone and solicited a prostitute on separate ocassions.

Really? He will not fit in here then

burmafrd

Reaction score
That was all a couple of years ago as well. He was a kid pretty much- and some kids do some dumb things. Since then he has seemed to mature and wise up. So I would not put TOO much stock in those incidents. But now I can see him gone before or pick. Top 15 pick now. Maybe even top 12.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
His side of the story is that he had a toy gun, and he thought he saw one of his buddies so he pointed it at him as a prank. Turns out it wasn't who he thought it was, and the person called the police on him for threatening him with a weapon. He was expelled from school for a year.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I've read in a couple places that Justice is a pretty solid guy now. Love to see these issues drop him to our pick in the 2nd though. He hasn't played football for very long and doesn't have a ton of experience. He could fall like Khalif Barnes did last year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MrPhil said:
You remember correctly on both issues.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
No way he falls to us let alone the 2nd rd now.

I don't know. Lots of pundits had Khalif Barnes as the top OT last year - went at 52 -- and has been the best of the bunch so far.

I'm not saying it is likely, just possible. Some teams will be turned off by his lack of playing experience.

neosapien23

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I don't know. Lots of pundits had Khalif Barnes as the top OT last year - went at 52 -- and has been the best of the bunch so far.

I'm not saying it is likely, just possible. Some teams will be turned off by his lack of playing experience.

I remember that. I was jumping up and down thinking the Cowboys were going to snag him right up. I was a little dissapointed that they took Burnett. Hopefully Burnett plays lights out this year and wins a starting position midway through this season. If Justice is there in the 2nd and the Cowboys pass on him for another undersized linebacker, I will be extremely disappointed.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I remember that. I was jumping up and down thinking the Cowboys were going to snag him right up. I was a little dissapointed that they took Burnett. Hopefully Burnett plays lights out this year and wins a starting position midway through this season. If Justice is there in the 2nd and the Cowboys pass on him for another undersized linebacker, I will be extremely disappointed.

I'm with you on that. After both the free safeties went off the board, I was sure we'd take Barnes. Unless Burnett is outstanding, that miss is going to hurt - Barnes is looking like the real deal.

neosapien23

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I'm with you on that. After both the free safeties went off the board, I was sure we'd take Barnes. Unless Burnett is outstanding, that miss is going to hurt - Barnes is looking like the real deal.

I don't think Burnett is a miss just yet. He was highly touted out of college and has great speed. I know I have referred to him as "Bustnett" but that was out of frustration. He should be around the 246 lbs range by the time training camp starts. If he is going to be completely healthy by the time the season starts, I would not be surprised to see the Cowboys not take a linebacker until round three. I think Ryan LaCasse is a great value pick in the 3rd round and I think Burnett fits the OLB spot alot better than Wimberely or Lawson. Unlike those guys, he has played linebacker before and will not be a liability in coverage. I would rather take Cutler, Justice, Holmes, or Jackson at 18. I know alot of people want to go defensive heavy in the draft, but the Cowboys need to address the future now.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I don't think Burnett is a miss just yet.

Neither do I. BP did something he hates to do with Burnett last year -- he moved him around - he can't stand doing that with rookies but getting Fujita forced it. Just when he got comfortable over on Ware's side, he started played the other side again.

Eskimo

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
We'll be extremely lucky if he's there at #18.

I agree, he is probably top-10 after his Pro Day workout. Tremendous physical specimen - 38 reps at his height is ridiculous, 39 inch vertical is ridicuous, running 5.0 40 with a sore hammy at 310 pounds is ridiculous.

I always wanted Ngata in a trade-up but I'm thinking we should trade up to the 10 spot with our second rounder if he is still on the board. Could be a franchise LT type player. We could groom him for a year at RT and then switch him with Flo in 2007.

I know those who think short-term are not going to want to do this because they think we can fill an OL hole and OLB hole with those picks but I always believe in grabbing impact players when you have the chance.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
His side of the story is that he had a toy gun, and he thought he saw one of his buddies so he pointed it at him as a prank. Turns out it wasn't who he thought it was, and the person called the police on him

When he solicited the prostitute, did he think it was one of his buddys too?