What will Urban Cowboys look like?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I'm increasingly convinced that Jerry is going to hire Urban Meyer. It makes sense. I don't think Lincoln Riley would want any part of this. I wish they'd look at Matt Rhule, but I don't think they are. Established head coaches like Sean Payton would want complete control.

Meyer has a bevy of ready former assistants out of work right now, and there's a good chance he'll retain many of the existing coaches like Kellen Moore. I think Jerry wants that. I don't expect Meyer to be here long - he never is - and Jerry wants in-house options sooner than later. In fact, I think Jerry wants this to be over quickly, just like he did with Parcells.

"Please fix this and leave." That seems to be the corner Jerry has painted himself into. Again.

Meyer is a CEO-approach coach like Garrett in that he won't call plays. He does have a big personality like Jimmy, who didn't call plays either, and he'll rule with intimidation and force, which is fine in general.

But what kind of team are we really going to have under Meyer?

He is without scruples. He had 40 players get arrested while he was at Florida. He ignored violent and repeated spousal abuse committed by one of his assistants at Ohio State without saying a word. He tolerated multiple incidents by Zeke, which became so intense that Joey Bosa had to change roommates. It's a common theme everywhere he goes. His programs are like circus freak shows, and it'll be harder to contain these "secrets" in the NFL than it was in college back then.

However, he does win, by whatever means necessary. So there is that. I expect he'll do that here more consistently, and he's a big enough presence to command attention from players. He'll take no gruff from Jerry on the football decision front. I like that, and I don't think he'll spend time blowing sunshine up his players backsides like Garrett and Jerry do constantly. More to like.

But there's the other ugly side, I fear.

Meyer wouldn't blink twice about bringing in Greg Hardy. He'd do it over and over if he thought he could win. He doesn't care about "right kind of guy" whatsoever, as long as the production on the field is there. Doesn't care about reputation or image the team projects. He cares about winning.

Imagine a roster full of Burfict, Beckham, AB, Incognito, Hardy, and Tyreek types.

I don't expect players like Amari Cooper and Byron Jones to respond well to him. Not sure about Dak or Leighton. I wonder what Zeke thinks? I do think it would be good for a few players who need a swift kick in their derriere.

I'll give it this. It will be VERY different than the past 10 years. For everybody. Including Jerry.

That is, in the very least, interesting to ponder.

he wins.

he’s a great coach.

to be fair to Jason*, most of the problems with the team are bc of MArinelli and KOquinn.

both needed fired last year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A bunch of Italians with Brooklyn accents wearing Cowboy hats and married to a girl named “Sissy”.