What Will We Do With Parsons When Gregory Comes Back?

jaybird

Reaction score
Gregory and Lawrence are too valuable to sit. And they can't play linebacker.
Parsons can. He's more versatile.
I think you create packages for Parsons so he can rush some. But all three need to be on the field at the same time.
Both Lawrence and Gregory need reps. You can't sit them just because Parsons appears to be the better pass rusher.
During playoffs, teams will scheme to take Parsons out of the mix. You make him the wild card.
Having said thus, this is a good dilemma to have.
I agree
LVE and others need help. Tank and Randy gives us edge rishers. Micah can help
Get to 3rd and long then bring all 3.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
My, if I were Jerry plan for 2022.
RE-Sign Gregory, Kearse, Watkins and Neal
Draft the best TE, or LB or DT in the first. (Lets say Wydermeyer or Mayer) -- would love to see another impact player like Parsons, or CeeDee at any position here.
My big FA sign is Von Miller.

My third down nickel front 7 group is Miller, Lawrence, (Saiki Ika - Baylor round 2-3), Watkins, and Gregory with Parsons and Jabril Cox at LB.
Parsons could do anything from rush, to spy and still be effective.

Those 7 would be able to cover, stop the run, spy, and bring pressure just about any time. Neal back to hybrid S/LB (could play an almost interchangeable role to Cox). (Neal, Kearse, Wilson hold down the S group)
Plenty of CB already. Plenty of DT/DE for development and rotation. Talk about flexible and ability to move guys around. Talk about another team having issues with who is the MLB, or who is coming from where.

Use the rest of the draft for development OL, LB's, and S -- maybe a WR or two with a specific role in mind (over the top speed guy, Red Zone jumper, etc).

lukin2006

Reaction score
Release him and sign him to the practice squad. The kids got potential…

I need 6

Reaction score
Parson's best attribute that is that he can play everywhere.

The NFL is all about matchups and deception.

Any NFL QB can beat a defense if he knows exactly what they're going to do on each snap.

They missed having Parsons at LB in the Raiders game because he was playing primarily as a pass rusher.
- It is much more obvious when reviewing game footage than when watching it in real time.

DE Gregory is a better NFL player than LB Neal.
- Taking Gregory off the field and replacing him with Parsons means that Neal replaces Parsons.

You have the choice of 2 players on the field:
- DE Parsons, LB Neal
- DE Gregory, LB Parsons

Since Parsons is in both choices, it's really a choice of:
- Gregory or Neal
This is an excellent post. You make some great points.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Who's the better pass rusher? Parsons or Gregory? My pick: Parsons

Who's the better pass rusher? Parsons or Lawrence? My pick: Parsons

We need to play to our strengths. You cannot have not only YOUR best pass rusher, but one of the best pass rushers in the NFL 15 yards down field in coverage on a RB or TE the majority of the time.

I fear the once we have Gregory and Lawrence back that the coaches are going to screw this up by taking an elite edge rusher and making him play LB 85% of the time.

Let's stop pretending, okay? Parsons is LT, Von Miller, or Derrick Thomas. That's what we have here. Let's not get cute with it.
Who's the better LB for a team that stinks at times against the run? My pick: Parsons
The kid is special in part because of how much he can do and how hard he is to game plan for because we move him all over the place. But, don't worry, he'll be blitzing and rushing the passer as an edge a lot too and should keep that sack streak going:thumbup:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Who's the better pass rusher? Parsons or Gregory? My pick: Parsons

Who's the better pass rusher? Parsons or Lawrence? My pick: Parsons

We need to play to our strengths. You cannot have not only YOUR best pass rusher, but one of the best pass rushers in the NFL 15 yards down field in coverage on a RB or TE the majority of the time.

I fear the once we have Gregory and Lawrence back that the coaches are going to screw this up by taking an elite edge rusher and making him play LB 85% of the time.

Let's stop pretending, okay? Parsons is LT, Von Miller, or Derrick Thomas. That's what we have here. Let's not get cute with it.
Play better defense.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I heard on the radio this morning that Parsons is 8th in the NFL in sacks, but 96th in attempts.

That means he is by far the most efficient pass rusher in the league.

He needs to do that more, not less.

T-RO

Reaction score
90% of the posters here are acing it.

Poor Risen, with the notion of benching Lawrence, not so much.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Do not disregard the combination of the Lawrence - Gregory Duo. And the trio of Parsons at MLB.
We have yet to see them on the field together since week 1. And also not with Parsons since his emergence.

Parsons at MLB can still be that guy. As he can go sideline to sideline stopping plays, especially in the run game. If the runner gets to the edge, there will be Parsons. We have not had that for a long time.
He can also line up at DE, for if DLaw or Gregory takes a breather, or in a stunt. Or he can come up in the middle to blitz, or fake a blitz.

To me, how about we take a look at this Line-up first before we start saying play him at DE full time.
But we have seen it....once....preseason vs Arizona....AA gap blitz with Parsons....Lawrence @ LDE...Gregory @ RDE....couldn't be blocked...Murray running for his life. Now is the time to set the league on fire with this blitz package.