What would a Rebuild look like for the Cowboys?

Blitzen

Reaction score
I doubt they go this route. My first thought is the club highly covets solid to very good regular seasons-even if they were guaranteed zero playoff success. They will run it back with Dak until the wheels fall off.

They replace the coaching staff if the team fails to succeed in the playoffs in 2024, but I would be shocked if they actually move on from Dak in the near future (absent a total regular season meltdown).

Let’s say they do move on from Dak. What other than replacing the QB do you see as the club’s next position group focus? The oline (Tyron and Zack close to retirement), defensive line (Lawrence, Armstrong, Osa, Fowler all likely gone pretty soon), linebackers (seems obvious), running backs, wide receivers (Cooks and Gallup not much longer), safeties, other areas?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Who's vision are we talkign about? To me its simple, this plan has not and is not working for the last 28 years, so who's vision are we rebuilding the team in? If the plan is to rebuild it in MM's vision without a commitment to him, I'm probably out...if its Jerry's vision convince me it will work diferent this time..if they have a GM/HC or whatever on the hook they are willing to let them build thier vision and hold him accountable though..I'm 1000% in.

Reaction score
bigger and better linemen and linebackers, they've been getting punked for years. Bigger more physical running back. Start searching for and developing QBs, they haven't made an honest effort in that respect since 2016, Trey Lance notwithstanding.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Whose vision are we talkign about? To me its simple, this plan has not and is not working for the last 28 years, so who's vision are we rebuilding the team in? If the plan is to rebuild it in MM's vision without a commitment to him, I'm probably out...if its Jerry's vision convince me it will work diferent this time..if they have a GM/HC or whatever on the hook they are willing to let them build thier vision and hold him accountable though..I'm 1000% in.
Your own vision plus you could comment what you think the club will do in this regard.

I envision the team begging Tyron and Zack to come back for at least one more season. Wonder what type of contract Tyron would need to play.

Then they try to find another tackle in the draft, a linebacker, and a center. Perhaps sign a running back in free agency for the right price. Pollard resigns for the right price. The defensive line will look very different next season and even more different in 2025. Not sure what they do there. Dorance probably gets a decent contract with some team that Dallas will not match. They team already seems in transition even if they extend Dak.

jsb357

Reaction score
with the "dream team" in the front office?

boss.jpg

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Your own vision plus you could comment what you think the club will do in this regard.

I envision the team begging Tyron and Zack to come back for at least one more season. Wonder what type of contract Tyron would need to play.

Then they try to find another tackle in the draft, a linebacker, and a center. Perhaps sign a running back in free agency for the right price. Pollard resigns for the right price. The defensive line will look very different next season and even more different in 2025. Not sure what they do there. Dorance probably gets a decent contract with some team that Dallas will not match. They team already seems in transition even if they extend Dak.
Because i think the culture (and losing in it a few times already) is like quicksand here, i start by shopping Dak, Parsons and CD i dont keep any RB we have on the roster..IF i get what i want for them i start the rebuild on the Dline and Oline, let MM play out his dead man walking last year and hire a HC with a vision knowing they will need the trenches i cashed in this year...if there is an oustanding LB i grab him also...move on from Tyron kick Smith back to LT move Steel back in to LG and and plant the rook in at RT..on D i have Bland and Diggs with Mazi, Lawrence (yes i keep him) and Williams (dude needs a mentor bad but has talent). Safties are fine minus Kearse and dont make them play LB..Im grabbing 2 DL's in the draft along with the 2 OL's. Those trades netted me a good 2025 Draft for the new HC and we put a five year plan in place for the Rook QB and move on....I keep Zack to help out the 2 young OL's on his current deal as we are not winning anything in 2024 with this rebuild...QB? doesnt really matter yet I'll start his clock in 2025 as i dont want to waste a single year of the rook contract.

jsb357

Reaction score
Yes, even them. What would the rebuild look like with them? What do you think they do?
step 1 Hire an OC and/or DC they like.

setp 2 Hire a puppet HC

step 3 Give the HC less control that any other HC in the league.

step 4 maintain the players right to go over the HC's head straight to the GM

step 6 overpay mediocre players

step 7 after several under performing season ending games fire OC or DC
or fire HC and promote OC or DC.

rinse and repeat...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Without a new GM not named Jones, any plan is a non-starter
Allow Tyron Smith to check out free agency.

Next, at the front of free agency sign:

Connor Williams​

Once upon a time Connor Williams was Cowboy. The former Texas OT was drafted No. 50 overall in 2018. At 6-foot-5, 312-pounds, Williams didn’t seem particularly suited to play tackle in the NFL so Dallas made him their starting LG instead.

Signing with the Dolphins, Williams was immediately moved inside to center where he quickly established himself as one of the best centers in the NFL. In each of his two seasons in Miami, Williams was graded in the top five by PFF. He was the No. 2 rated center in the NFL in 2023, coming in only behind the great Frank Ragnow from Detroit.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-connor-williams-tyler-biadasz-at-c/

He is a quality center and could fill in at guard with Tyler Smith kicking out to tackle as well.

I would then use the Dallas first pick with another pick to move out for the desired offensive tackle in the draft.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I really don't think anyone here can really. We would have to start with 100 percent all new coaches on both sides of the ball and change out the GM.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I doubt they go this route. My first thought is the club highly covets solid to very good regular seasons-even if they were guaranteed zero playoff success. They will run it back with Dak until the wheels fall off.

They replace the coaching staff if the team fails to succeed in the playoffs in 2024, but I would be shocked if they actually move on from Dak in the near future (absent a total regular season meltdown).
That's it right there. Anything else is just fans dreaming. There doesn't seem much point to it as long as the operation remains the same. They won't change.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Let’s say they do move on from Dak. What other than replacing the QB do you see as the club’s next position group focus? The oline (Tyron and Zack close to retirement), defensive line (Lawrence, Armstrong, Osa, Fowler all likely gone pretty soon), linebackers (seems obvious), running backs, wide receivers (Cooks and Gallup not much longer), safeties, other areas?
trade or cut dak.
let tyron walk.
give steele one more year
let Biadasz walk
let cook go
let gilmore go.
let kearse go
let LVE go
see ya pollard
cut gallup

draft QB, LB, OL, RB, DL, saftey. its at least a two year process if we hit on 1/3 of the draft picks. the challenge is we don't have too many picks this year and pick lower in the round.
you go into the season with Lance (please don't say rush). lets see if he has it. he had a year to sit back and learn. did he? if not, then he is gone in 2025. that's why you draft a QB. frankly I don't think he has it, but because we gave up a 4th for him, we have to give him one chance.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Assuming the obvious, that we will not have new ownership, there is really only one path for an actual revuild

New HC with their own Coordinators on both sides of the ball.

New QB.

That’s it.

Those decisions dictate the rest of a rebuild. The coach and his coordinators will dictate which players we keep and what type of player we pursue in the draft and free agency.

jujoboys

Reaction score
trade or cut dak.
let tyron walk.
give steele one more year
let Biadasz walk
let cook go
let gilmore go.
let kearse go
let LVE go
see ya pollard
cut gallup

draft QB, LB, OL, RB, DL, saftey. its at least a two year process if we hit on 1/3 of the draft picks. the challenge is we don't have too many picks this year and pick lower in the round.
you go into the season with Lance (please don't say rush). lets see if he has it. he had a year to sit back and learn. did he? if not, then he is gone in 2025. that's why you draft a QB. frankly I don't think he has it, but because we gave up a 4th for him, we have to give him one chance.
What's the QB draft class look like in 2025? Going this route I have a feeling we would be drafting in the Top 5. From what I have seen of Trey Lance in his days with the 49ers we aren't winning games with him. He had a better team around him in SF and couldn't win.

Also, should we see if we could get someone to give up a bounty of draft picks for Parsons? I like Parsons but I am not sure I could handle listening to him while Dallas went through a transition of losing while rebuilding.