What would a Rebuild look like for the Cowboys?

leeblair

Reaction score
I doubt they go this route. My first thought is the club highly covets solid to very good regular seasons-even if they were guaranteed zero playoff success. They will run it back with Dak until the wheels fall off.

They replace the coaching staff if the team fails to succeed in the playoffs in 2024, but I would be shocked if they actually move on from Dak in the near future (absent a total regular season meltdown).

Let’s say they do move on from Dak. What other than replacing the QB do you see as the club’s next position group focus? The oline (Tyron and Zack close to retirement), defensive line (Lawrence, Armstrong, Osa, Fowler all likely gone pretty soon), linebackers (seems obvious), running backs, wide receivers (Cooks and Gallup not much longer), safeties, other areas?
All that needs to be done is to maintain the defensive backfield, beef on the defensive line, and get a real quarterback.
The Cowboys have had decent teams, but Jerry's infatuation with one player on offense and refusal to invest in the defensive line has stopped the Cowboys from being elite.

CWR

Reaction score
Any good rebuild starts with the trenches. After a season or two of building I go get my qb. Of course I'd go sooner if the value is there, or take a 2nd-whatever round guy with tools and develop him while building his oline.

First and foremost I'm not throwing my future franchise to the wolves with a broken o line.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What's the QB draft class look like in 2025? Going this route I have a feeling we would be drafting in the Top 5. From what I have seen of Trey Lance in his days with the 49ers we aren't winning games with him. He had a better team around him in SF and couldn't win.

Also, should we see if we could get someone to give up a bounty of draft picks for Parsons? I like Parsons but I am not sure I could handle listening to him while Dallas went through a transition of losing while rebuilding.
that's my point. if we go the rebuild route, there are plenty of positions to rebuild. not advocating we reach for a QB, but if there is good scouting and grade on one and we can trade up to get, then we should. other wise we need a tackle, guard, center, couple of LBs, DT, saftey, RB. its a two year process. if no QB taken this year, lets see what we have in Lance. I don't have confidence in him, but we traded a 4th, lets see what we got. if he fails as you said, then we have a top 10 pick. better chance of a QB. if he is average, then perhaps let him walk. we have had average QBs and seen the results.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I doubt they go this route. My first thought is the club highly covets solid to very good regular seasons-even if they were guaranteed zero playoff success. They will run it back with Dak until the wheels fall off.

They replace the coaching staff if the team fails to succeed in the playoffs in 2024, but I would be shocked if they actually move on from Dak in the near future (absent a total regular season meltdown).

Let’s say they do move on from Dak. What other than replacing the QB do you see as the club’s next position group focus? The oline (Tyron and Zack close to retirement), defensive line (Lawrence, Armstrong, Osa, Fowler all likely gone pretty soon), linebackers (seems obvious), running backs, wide receivers (Cooks and Gallup not much longer), safeties, other areas?
Teams do not rebuild after a 12 win season, much less after 3 12 win seasons in a row.
We need additions and changes......things that probably won't happen.

This team will not be in rebuild mode anytime soon. We didn't even rebuild after Romo retired because we got lucky with a 4th round pick.
If anyone thinks the Joneses even know how to rebuild anything, take a look at the rebuild after the triplets retired and at how often they've ever changed their mode of operations.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Assuming the obvious, that we will not have new ownership, there is really only one path for an actual revuild

New HC with their own Coordinators on both sides of the ball.

New QB.

That’s it.

Those decisions dictate the rest of a rebuild. The coach and his coordinators will dictate which players we keep and what type of player we pursue in the draft and free agency.
I agree 100%, and dont draft a QB till you have this plan in place....dont waste one year of the coveted "Rookie Deal"

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Any good rebuild starts with the trenches. After a season or two of building I go get my qb. Of course I'd go sooner if the value is there, or take a 2nd-whatever round guy with tools and develop him while building his oline.

First and foremost I'm not throwing my future franchise to the wolves with a broken o line.
This is honesty and hits close to reality.
To build it right you are looking at a 3-year process.
Tank at least twice and clear the roster of overpaid, highly paid contracts.
Move on from the franchise QB and massive salary.

Rebuild through the draft.
It'd look a lot like what Detroit did.

Though they built around Goff and a low side of AAV(34M) for a franchise QB.

Picking at 24 you are not looking at elite talent.
Maybe not even guys rated R1 talents.
Then you get 56 and 87 and take 100 picks off.
So basically 3 draftable players then late shots in the dark that are toss ups on being UDFA.

Part of why I am OK with a 1 year all-in plan even though it is an insane long shot is the rebuild assets are so insanely poor this year.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This is honesty and hits close to reality.
To build it right you are looking at a 3-year process.
Tank at least twice and clear the roster of overpaid, highly paid contracts.
Move on from the franchise QB and massive salary.

Rebuild through the draft.
It'd look a lot like what Detroit did.

Though they built around Goff and a low side of AAV(34M) for a franchise QB.

Picking at 24 you are not looking at elite talent.
Maybe not even guys rated R1 talents.
Then you get 56 and 87 and take 100 picks off.
So basically 3 draftable players then late shots in the dark that are toss ups on being UDFA.

Part of why I am OK with a 1 year all-in plan even though it is an insane long shot is the rebuild assets are so insanely poor this year.
you take it on the chin this year, the Cowboys have plenty of assests despite what some here say.. you could trade CD, Dak and #11 and your 2025-2027 drafts would be packed with picks....your gonna lose in 2024..ooh and this GM would never do this..

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Trade Dak and Parsons. Get younger and faster. Rebuild the OL and roll with Lance.

quickccc

Reaction score

Far best to have an ideal placement in hand before we can seriously talk about moving on from Dak .. We cannot continue to think good QBs can be picked off the nearest apple tree.

It’s still the most difficult and critical position to find , and when/if you do, (ala Purdy) you’d better lock him up for years to come. Dak has performed very well (in regular season) under 2 different coaches and 2 different offenses speaks well that you have a legit starting QB, .. but it does seem limited once the critical playoffs start.

Trey Lance is a supposed 2 round rated QB, maybe he has the physical tools, but I do not like his chances of developing well under a “ lame duck” HC now., as I’m truly doubting Big Mac’s future here.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t blame them for not tearing it down now…all considered.

I actually think a full rebuild with these two behind it wouldn’t amount to much anyway. Better off hoping the get lucky in a not insurmountable NFC.

A full rebuild needs to be led by a strong coach who is clearly in charge. Maybe that guy is the GM also, but they do need to bring in a Harbaugh type before trying a rebuild. Otherwise you’re just adding to the business first entitled culture.

Keep in mind they are very proud of themselves, and absolutely overrate their own roster. That’s not gonna change.