What Would An Uncapped League Be Like?

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Would we return to the way things were before 1993...with alot more of players staying with the team that drafted them for the duration of their career?

If so, I kind of miss having 10-15 year guys on my team. I was in tears the day Darrell Green retired after 20 years with the Skins. He was on the team as long as I can ever remember being a fan. When he left it was like the last remnant of his kind of player on our team was gone.

So if we do lose the salary cap, I hope it leads to more players staying and being loyal towards their team. I really miss feeling a real investment for players who have every intention of playing their entire career here, and where leaving is not an option for them. Would we see more team loyalty or simply more greed and salary inflation?

notherbob

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Would we return to the way things were before 1993...with alot more of players staying with the team that drafted them for the duration of their career?

If so, I kind of miss having 10-15 year guys on my team. I was in tears the day Darrell Green retired after 20 years with the Skins. He was on the team as long as I can ever remember being a fan. When he left it was like the last remnant of his kind of player on our team was gone.

We had a few guys like that over the years, too. They always leave holes that are never quite filled right.

The Cowboys have already gone through what you guys are about to go through so we know how you will feel. Caring how Commanders fans feel; however, is another story.

It's a good rivalry. It's nice that we can be civil in discussing it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
For one thing 2007 would be the last NFL Draft unless they reinstated.

The NFLPA would disband so there could be no lockout.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
For one thing 2007 would be the last NFL Draft unless they reinstated.

The NFLPA would disband so there could be no lockout.

How would it be the last NFL draft?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
How would it be the last NFL draft?
With no CBA ratifying the Draft it would be deemed illegal and it would be abolished.

Think right to work laws.

juck

Reaction score
if there was no cap we would be in it every year,like yankees.:D

juck

Reaction score
imagine the players jerruh would bring in,wow.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
With no CBA ratifying the Draft it would be deemed illegal and it would be abolished.

Think right to work laws.

So prior to 1993, there was a CBA but just no salary cap? I always thought the CBA and salary cap came into the league around the same time.

Tricked

Fascinated
Reaction score
players are getting greedy enough as it is... just imagine if theres no limit to what they can be paid? i feel it'll ruin the sport..

while we can still watch the games and enjoy them, for the people (such as us on forum boards) who like to get more in depth with the teams than just sitting down and watching a game, it'll ruin it

juck

Reaction score
HummerMan said:
players are getting greedy enough as it is... just imagine if theres no limit to what they can be paid? i feel it'll ruin the sport..

while we can still watch the games and enjoy them, for the people (such as us on forum boards) who like to get more in depth with the teams than just sitting down and watching a game, it'll ruin it

i bet u were happy when the boys were romping in the early 90s.lol.besides,players stayed on a team long term then.

Tricked

Fascinated
Reaction score
juckie said:
i bet u were happy when the boys were romping in the early 90s.lol.besides,players stayed on a team long term then.
while a team wouldn't have to worry about the salaries of all their players, they still wouldn't give in to their every demand..

take TO for an example here.. he signs a contract with the eagles then the very next year demands a new contract because he's ''underpaid''... now if there were teams whispering to a player ''well, we'd give you a 20 million dollar signing bonus and a 5 mill salary'' whats that player gonna want to do? the way the NFL is going, that player would go for the money, rather than stay for the fans

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
HummerMan said:
while a team wouldn't have to worry about the salaries of all their players, they still wouldn't give in to their every demand..

take TO for an example here.. he signs a contract with the eagles then the very next year demands a new contract because he's ''underpaid''... now if there were teams whispering to a player ''well, we'd give you a 20 million dollar signing bonus and a 5 mill salary'' whats that player gonna want to do? the way the NFL is going, that player would go for the money, rather than stay for the fans

TO signs a contract with the Browns lets say. Next season he wants a new deal. Tough luck. No NFLPA, so who is he going to complain to ? He will be forced to get over it or sit out for X years until his contract is up or until the Browns trade him to whatever team they feel like trading him to.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
You need a salary cap. Look at baseball. There is a reason why it's third in popularity behind both the NFL and the NBA. There is no sense of real competition in the sport. The wealthiest teams contend every year. Sure, some team like the Marlins and the White Sox might win it but the usuals are always in the playoffs like the Yankees, Braves, Red Sox, Cardinals. The NFL isn't close to being that predictable. If there was no salary cap, you would have teams like Dallas and Denver in the conference championships or at least the playoffs every season.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
You need a salary cap. Look at baseball. There is a reason why it's third in popularity behind both the NFL and the NBA. There is no sense of real competition in the sport. The wealthiest teams contend every year. Sure, some team like the Marlins and the White Sox might win it but the usuals are always in the playoffs like the Yankees, Braves, Red Sox, Cardinals. The NFL isn't close to being that predictable. If there was no salary cap, you would have teams like Dallas and Denver in the conference championships or at least the playoffs every season.

The thing is, why is there this fear now of having an uncapped league, when before the salary cap teams still were able to build from the ground up.

neosapien23

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

Baseball is just boring. Its much more fun to play than actually watch. Kind of like Golf.