What Would An Uncapped League Be Like?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RiggoForever said:
What Would An Uncapped League Be Like?
Hugely unpopular. Just look at baseball. Outside of a few teams, everybody else is just along for the ride. I live in the heart of Royal country. Most people around here think baseball has been dead for almost 20 years.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
juckie said:
if there was no cap we would be in it every year,like yankees.:D

yea but the yankes still suck :bang2:

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
notherbob said:
We had a few guys like that over the years, too. They always leave holes that are never quite filled right.

The Cowboys have already gone through what you guys are about to go through so we know how you will feel. Caring how Commanders fans feel; however, is another story.

It's a good rivalry. It's nice that we can be civil in discussing it.

Until the week before gameday at least :)

bobtheflob

Reaction score
If you think ticket prices are high now, just think of what would happen in a uncapped league...

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
The thing is, why is there this fear now of having an uncapped league, when before the salary cap teams still were able to build from the ground up.

There was no free agency during most of the uncapped years also. Had those players had the option to go to the biggest spender, teams wouldn't have had the luxury of building from the ground up as the best players would have left for teams willing to pay the most money.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
I want the cap...Dallas is set up very well for it and the there are teams like the Skins who are headed for destruction and us Cowboy fans know too well what it is like when you hit that cap wall. It aint no fun!!!!

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Baseball is just boring. Its much more fun to play than actually watch. Kind of like Golf.

Winning is fun to watch. I hated baseball until I moved to Phoenix. When the Diamondbacks were winning, everyone including myself learned the game because the teams wins made it fun to watch the sport.

Ask people in NYC and Boston if baseball is boring. It's a religion in those cities. If more teams were competitive in baseball, the sport would be much more popular. As of now, most people don't even bother watching the sport because they know only a handful of teams have a realistic shot aside from the one upstart team each year. That's in large part due to no salary cap aka the Steinbrenner effect

lspain1

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Winning is fun to watch. I hated baseball until I moved to Phoenix. When the Diamondbacks were winning, everyone including myself learned the game because the teams wins made it fun to watch the sport.

Ask people in NYC and Boston if baseball is boring. It's a religion in those cities. If more teams were competitive in baseball, the sport would be much more popular. As of now, most people don't even bother watching the sport because they know only a handful of teams have a realistic shot aside from the one upstart team each year. That's in large part due to no salary cap aka the Steinbrenner effect

jameswoods is right about baseball in the northeast. I live where the new Washington Nationals team has spring training. When they were the Expos you could walk up and get a ticket. Now, the spring training games sell out and getting a ticket requires standing in line before spring training starts.
Even after a pretty good run by the Patriots, Boston is still much more interested in the Sox than they are the Patriots.

Nationally speaking however, the NFL is a much better league than MLB. The tacit recognition that teams like the Pirates and Royals are not going to be able to compete except for a occasional magical combo of good young players that blossom together is a big downer for many. Throw in the fact that baseball is a relatively poor tv game (much better to be at the game rather than watch it on tv) and you can see why people lose interest. The lack of competition is a big driver.

Does anyone here remember the year of the replacement players? Plain and simple, it sucked. Labor troubles will hurt the NFL badly and without a CBA, we are almost guaranteed to have problems. That being said, it is easy to understand why our JJ sez, "Wait a minute, I work my butt off and make my franchise a winner financially and then you guys tell me I have to give it away?"

I hope the owners can come to some sort of compromise and then make a deal with the players. Change in the form of no CBA is not something we should want as fans.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
I'll bite ...but we've actually done this one before (February 3, 2006 - the Zone); does anyone remember? I'm responding to the RiggoForever's thread ...What Would An Uncapped League Be Like?

Actually RF, it was another Commanders fan who prompted this very same question ...SkinsandTerps(another football saavy Commanders fan)! Anyway ...

RiggoForever said:
Would we return to the way things were before 1993...

It won't happen; however, here are some of the more intelligent responses:

PT ...A modified uncapped "pilot program" season could be launched to determine associated ramifications and benefits. I'm not an advocate ...largely because the "capped" component serves as a regualated systems to keep more lucrative franchises in check; especially against smaller/new franchises. I'm selling on this one!
HOS ...Against uncapped years, because the small market teams can compete in the NFL. The cap allows competition between the teams. uncapped it just means the richest owners can buy whatever they want.

I like the strategy of the cap. I think it has made Free Agency more fun. This is why I think the NFLPA should want it. Free Agents are actually free. I also think once you've moved forward, never move backwards.

abersonc ...Against. The cap is in place for a reason. To avoid teams buying championships. Parity means that any team, any year has a shot - even the Bengals.

Phrozen Phil ...Defiitely against an uncapped system. Parity is good for the gme and "buying" a championship team could ruin the game overall. Major league baseball is an example of where it could eventually result in contraction and continued imbalance in a major professional sport. If the big fish are allowed to spend freely, then smaller market teams would simply dissappear. The NFL has been the most stable professional sports league in North America for some time now. It's in the players' and the owners' best interests to maintain the status quo, albeit with some issues regarding the distribution of money to be resolved.

SultanOfSix...Uncapped is stupid. It allows bigger market teams to buy whatever they want (as Hos said). Whether that translates into a championship doesn't matter. It provides them with a greater advantage to obtain a championship. Disbanding the salary cap allows organizations to hedge against a lack of coaching and management. It's a means of implementing equity across the league and needs to be maintained.

SkinsandTerps ...FINAL EIGHT PLAN

Section 1. Application: The provisions of this Article shall apply only in any League Year during the term of this Agreement in which no Salary Cap is in effect.

Section 2. Top Four Teams: Each of the four Clubs that participated in the NFC and AFC Championship games the Prior League Year shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any Unrestricted Free Agent to a Player Contract, except: (a) any Unrestricted Free Agent who acquired that status as a result of the NFL waiver system; (b) any Unrestricted Free Agent who was under contract to such Club on the last date of the last League Year of the player’s most recent Player Contract; and (c) any Unrestricted Free Agent signed pursuant to Section 4 below.

Section 3. Next Four Teams: Each of the four playoff Clubs that lost in the immediately preceding playoff games to the four Clubs that participated in the NFC and AFC Championship games the Prior League Year shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any Unrestricted Free Agent to a Player contract, except: (a) any Unrestricted Free Agent who acquired that status as a result of the NFL waiver system; (b) any Unrestricted Free Agent who was under contract to such Club on the last date of the last League Year of the player’s most recent Player contract; (c) any Unrestricted Free Agent signed pursuant to Section 4 below; and (d) any Unrestricted Free Agent as follows:

(i) One such player for a Player Contract that has a first year Salary of $1,500,000 or more; and

(ii) Any number of such players for a Player Contract that has a first year Salary of no more than $1,000,000 and an annual increase in any future contract years of no more than 30% of the first contract year Salary, not including any amount attributed to any signing bonus. In addition, each such Club and each such player entering into a Player Contract pursuant to this subsection may not renegotiate to increase the amount of Salary to be paid during the term of the Player Contract for a period of one year after the signing date of such contract.

Section 4. Replacement of Free Agents Signed by Other Club: Each of the eight Clubs subject to the provisions of this Article shall be permitted to negotiate and sign one Unrestricted Free Agent to a Player Contract (“New Player”) for each Unrestricted Free Agent who was under contract to such Club on the last date of the prior League Year, who has signed with another Club (“Previous Player”), so long as the Player Contract for the New Player shall have a first year Salary of no more than the first year Salary of the Player Contract signed by the Previous Player with the New Club, and an annual increase in any future contract years of no more than 30% of the first contract year Salary, excluding any amounts attributable to any signing bonus. In addition, each such Club and each such player entering into a Player Contract pursuant to this subsection may not renegotiate to increase the amount of Salary to be paid during the term of the Player Contract for a period of one year after the signing date of such contract.

Well there you have it. Looks like the consensus, regardless of Fandom affiliation, is a clear no!:cool:

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
The one thing that pisses me off about an uncapped league is why couldn't they have done it in the mid-90's when we were losing quality starters left and right. We were robbed of another Super Bowl if this league permanently loses its salary cap. :mad: