What Would You Have Done So Far This Offseason

DFWJC

Reaction score
3/15/24

I get there that are 32 teams so only a massive moron would think 1 team can get EVERY player they want, but let's play this game anyway with blue colored glasses.....

Given our upcoming Draft Picks, Roster entering the offseason, and Cap, what would you have done so far in this offseason?

Try to be a least somewhat realistic.

Go for it

Jayinem

Reaction score
No brainer sign either Derrick Henry or Aaron Jones or at least make them an honest offer if they go somewhere else at least I tried unlike the actual owners.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Take this approach, there will be more guys that will be released. Overpaying for guys isn't it, then if they don't play well it really makes you mad. As far as the draft goes, TRADE down with the first pick, get as many picks as you can. If you have to make more trades to get more picks, do so!!!

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Re-sign Ceedee lamb create 10M capspace
Re-structure Diggs - create 7M capspace
Did what they did with martin 13M
Cut Gallup - 10M

Gives us around 40M plus the 9M we had

Do not restructure Dak.
- Derrick Henry - 8M
- Eric Kendricks
- Luvu or another quality LBer (7-10M)
- Re-sign Tyron (7.5M)
- Re-sign Gilmoure (9M)

Totals to about 32-35M with this plus what they have already done. This would:

- Allow us to go BPA and not reach for LT
- Bolster run game
- Strengthen 2nd level of defense
- Give Diggs insurance policy

Needs remaining:
- OC, DT both can be filled in from the draft
- I would rather draft Sweat than re-sign Hankins, at this point with Dak on a prove it deal every cap dollar needs to be saved and we are giving him a great upgraded roster so there is nothing else we can do for him even with a restructure

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Cut Gallup - 10M

Do not restructure Dak.
- Derrick Henry - 8M
- Eric Kendricks
- Re-sign Tyron (7.5M)
- Re-sign Gilmoure (9M)

- Bolster run game

Needs remaining:
- I would rather draft Sweat than re-sign Hankins, at this point with Dak on a prove it deal every cap dollar needs to be saved and we are giving him a great upgraded roster so there is nothing else we can do for him even with a restructure
Thank I can't get the love for Hankins, yes he's a big body ok, but he was in there too in that GB game, to me he's a last minute option during training camp

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
2024 looks to be a shot IMO. It's inconceivable the team is improved over last year, and the NFC East is tougher.

Perfect time for a quick rebuild. Dump the chokemaster's salary, force a trade if possible. Take the pain now to reduce future dead money.

Draft capital is needed, and you're not getting it for free. There are 2 elite players on the team- Parsons and Lamb. Both could fetch multiple #1 picks. Parsons would without question. Lamb might get you a 1 and a 2. I'm heading into next year's draft with 4-5 first round picks including Dallas's own. I'm getting good players cheap, and have money left over for quality free agents. One step back, two steps forward.

Incremental moves won't yield significant results.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The same thing Jerry is doing.

Sign no big names, whoever I do sign give em 1 year deals, blow it up next year and start fresh with a whole new coaching staff and QB.
Can we fast forward to 2025.
You know, like the flash forwards that some tv shows over use.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cut Gallup - 10M

Do not restructure Dak.
- Derrick Henry - 8M
- Eric Kendricks
- Re-sign Tyron (7.5M)
- Re-sign Gilmoure (9M)

- Bolster run game

Needs remaining:
Does not sound bad at all. But not sure I would pay Henry that much. Maybe go with a draft pick and either lesser to Henry or another RB that was available.

John813

Reaction score
Simple restructure of Trevon Diggs:
Saves 7.9mil

Sign Zach Moss: Current Cap hit = 3mil
Sign Blake Cashman: Current Capt hit = 4.2mil *28 years old. Broke out last year. Not too much playing time to date so if healthy could be a mid term LB

Simple Restructure of T. Steele:
Saves 4.9mil

Sign Justin Jones DT: Current cap hit =6.6mil*
*Not sold on Jones at DT, but sign a DT in that 10 mil AAV range.

2.2mil existing cap space + 7.9mil + 4.9 mil =15mil cap space

Signees cap hits: 3+4.2+6.6 = 13.8mil.

Post June 1st Gallup = 9.5mil for draft picks.
Retire/cut LVE now = 2.2mil savings.

Still have 3.4mil left for honest offer which then goes to 12.9mil after June 1st.

Move Tyler back to LT, have Bass/Richards/draftee battle for LG. Draft Center.

And that's not touching Dak's huge deal and keeping CDL on the 5th year, which seems highly unlikely to stay for the year

Last edited:

12+88=7

Reaction score
Sign Lamb
Restructure Lawrence, Diggs, Steele, Wilson, Martin

This would net 50 to 60 million.

Resign Smith, Pollard, Lewis, Hankins and Sieg.

Sign Reader, Lavonte David, and CJ Henderson.

Assign Gallup and LVE June 1st cuts.

Draft Guyton, Cooper or Wilson, Allen and Tanor Bortolini, CB, LB

This would be my approach.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
3/15/24

I get there that are 32 teams so only a massive moron would think 1 team can get EVERY player they want, but let's play this game anyway with blue colored glasses.....

Given our upcoming Draft Picks, Roster entering the offseason, and Cap, what would you have done so far in this offseason?

Go for it
If I were Jerry , I would never have popped off about going all in, getting fans expectations up, then sit on my hands during the first few days of free agency.

It does nothing but create ill will with the fan base that was already dealing with getting blown out by a 7th seed in the playoffs.

Major PR fail !!!

DFWJC

Reaction score
For those curious

Derrick Henry signed with the best run team in the league...so perfect fit.

9 million up front guaranteed
20 million max
2 years , 16 mil without performance bonuses

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
3/15/24

Go for it
I would have restructured Dak's deal to push the cap hit forward and create space without extending him, and restructured other contracts as needed.

Re-signed Tyron, Lewis and Seig.

Signed LB Kendricks, DT Wilkins and DT Reader (or DT Tart). Wilkins obviously would have been the big-ticket signing.

Signed two cheap RBs (Dobbins, Harris, Foreman still available) with plans to draft an RB in the second or third round.

Signed a fairly cheap different third receiver (Boyd, Chark, Renfrow, Osborn still available) and cut Gallup.

Signed a pass rusher like Ogbah, who should be fairly cheap to be a role player.

I would have let Armstrong, Biadasz, Pollard, Gallimore, Goodwin, Fowler, Kearse, Iginboghene, Hankins and Edoga leave in free agency. I would have tried to re-sign Gilmore if the cost is less than $5 million per season.

I think C is going to be our first-round pick, so I'd hold off on signing an FA until after the draft or would sign Connor Williams if he'd come cheap.

That gives me:

Re-signings
Tyron Smith
Jourdan Lewis
Trey Seig
Gilmore (possibly)

Signings,
LB Kendricks
DT Wilkins
DT Reader
RB Dobbins
RB Foreman
WR Renfrow
DE Ogbah
C Williams (possibly)

Toro9

Reaction score
I don't know enough about the available players but I'd want a big DT and a stud MLB. And somebody like Zack Moss.

Jayinem

Reaction score
If they are getting rid of Dak next season I don't have a big problem with anything they've done.

But if they re-sign him, it's just all time dumb.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I would have done exactly what Jerry did with big extensions on the horizon for our star players I would've cleared salary, and throughout the next year re-up our best players. If we were going to rebuild I would have traded Prescott, and Lamb and collect more draft picks for the rebuild. I wouldn't recommend that, but if that was the direction ownership wanted to go that's what I would've done