What WR Gallup gives the Cowboys upon his return

Mannix

Reaction score
------Wilson is not gonna out battle and best tight, hanging on coverage the way Gallup will.

Gallup can be very unreliable. Wilson is already the 2nd most disciplined WR on the team behind Cooper....and just as smart. If Gallup is gone after the season (should have already been traded) then I pray Wilson's time doesn't get cut drastically...he needs to be here long term.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree with everything OP and McCarthy said about Gallup. MG is going to beat 1-on-1 coverage, and he's a threat to go deep too. The passing game will open up for Shultz underneath and CeeDee in the slot. Glad MG is back and healthy...just need Dak to be back on his game.
hes basically Dez without the passion..

their games are virtually the same. Although dez was the #1 for long while and for 3-4 years span was great, Gallups sharing the rock with 2 others in loaded offense, hard to get enough looks to be a #1 or to prove he can be but that good comp around here..

Creeper

Reaction score
Having Gallup will help but not if the rest of the team, including Dak plays like they did last week. They need the OL to block better and give Dak more time. The defense needs to tackle this week.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think the best thing about Gallup returning is that either Cee Dee or Cooper playing more in the slot, that is a huge upgrade over Wilson. Gallup will also bring big play ability down the field.

Love Cooper in the slot. Bigger, faster, stronger Cole Beasley.

Don't put quick guys who can run great routes on the outside. Don't let the sideline take away half his cuts. Make defenders defend him cutting in every direction.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Wilson's issue early on was his inability to stay healthy. When he has played, he has been productive. The same can be said about Noah Brown, has been productive when given the opportunity. Going to be interesting in the off-season, if they decide to bring both of them back. Will they look to draft another high level receiver to replace Gallup?

Gallup, Brown, Wilson, and even Turner are all in their contract year. I wish we had at least tried to extend Wilson or Brown on the cheap this summer. WR will be depleted for next year.

One of the best starting pairs in the league in Cooper and Lamb, but really nothing on the roster after that. But I don't see them spending a high pick.

Seems like a year for some mid round picks and a not too expensive veteran free agent on the back end of his career. Bridge player at WR3. Maybe some guy looking to audition for a big contract in 23. With our passing game, we're a good place to be for that audition.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Gallup opens things up for the offense. Cooper, Gallup, and Lamb can all consistently beat man coverage or find the hole in the zone— someone will be open.

The achilles heal is OL protection. If teams can get to Dak it won’t matter how open our guys are down the field. The OL has to play better. Period.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Gallup, Brown, Wilson, and even Turner are all in their contract year. I wish we had at least tried to extend Wilson or Brown on the cheap this summer. WR will be depleted for next year.

One of the best starting pairs in the league in Cooper and Lamb, but really nothing on the roster after that. But I don't see them spending a high pick.

Seems like a year for some mid round picks and a not too expensive veteran free agent on the back end of his career. Bridge player at WR3. Maybe some guy looking to audition for a big contract in 23. With our passing game, we're a good place to be for that audition.

It is interesting what they decide, you would think Cooper returns and they resign Wilson, but they could allow Cooper go and use the funds to keep Gallup, Wilson and say a Kearse.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It is interesting what they decide, you would think Cooper returns and they resign Wilson, but they could allow Cooper go and use the funds to keep Gallup, Wilson and say a Kearse.

I doubt they resign Wilson. I expect he'll command pretty good money. He's played well.

Guys coming off a good season are generally bad value in free agency. Not the guys we buy. We'll get a mid to late round pick off of Wilson, if we aren't already maxing out on comp picks.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I doubt they resign Wilson. I expect he'll command pretty good money. He's played well.

Guys coming off a good season are generally bad value in free agency. Not the guys we buy. We'll get a mid to late round pick off of Wilson, if we aren't already maxing out on comp picks.

No doubt teams will be looking at Gallup and Wilson. Cowboys likely will look to retain, but unless there's a significant hometown discount these will probably be tougher contracts to fit in the cap situation with guys like Gregory, Schultz, and Safeties as free agents. Probably a better chance at retaining Wilson of the 2 though.