What you’ve liked disliked so far?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Going for it on 4th down/fake punts. I just sit there slack-jawed wondering what in the **** they are thinking.
I liked the first one, they just didn't execute. The second one didn't make sense, and even if they were going to do it, the play they ran wasn't a good call because Atlanta had defenders covering the middle and they Cowboys had too far to go. If they only had one yard to go that play would make sense, but not with 4 yards to go.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
liked:
draft class has been very solid with Lamb/Diggs immediate impact
keeping Kellen at OC has left Dak comfortable and rolling
Zeke has returned to peak form with no holdouts or missed time after big payday which doesn't always happen.
THill has jumped off screen with quick penetration, the rarest of non-QB skillsets.
huge comeback and constant aggression.
Jaylon Smith week 2

disliked:
ball security
deep, talented DL looking unsettled and out of place in this scheme.
injuries x 100
lack of a go for it move that signals to team you believe they can win it all. --sign a guy or trade for someone meant to maximize the right now.
Jaylon Smith week 1. --he is not a Will. He is a Sam who can play Mike

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Going for it on 4th down/fake punts. I just sit there slack-jawed wondering what in the **** they are thinking.

Because they know this defense sucks. Big time. They have to find a spark somewhere.The defense is going to let the offense jam it down their throats no matter if its 30 yards away or 80. I always thought coaches should go for it a lot more in football in general at any level. Especially on short yardage situations. I don't mind going for it at all. The calls itself leave a little to be desired, though. The fake punt would have worked had he thrown a better ball and the receiver (can't remember who it was) had better hands. The fake punt run was terrible, though. Especially when they had the middle covered and it was 5 yards to gain.

cern

Reaction score
What? Are you crazy? Zeke has been a beast. Where in the world did you get this take from?
we are one blown refs call (rams game) away from being 2-0. and while injuries aren't an excuse, they are a reason for not being at our best. seahawks game will be very telling for the cowboys.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
What you’ve liked disliked so far?

I like Dak's leadership and the way he's playing. I don't think he deserves what he wants because he is not in the Mahomes tier of QB's but he's in the next tier and I hope we can keep him (at the appropriate price).

I like our Trio of WR's.

I like the game 2, post fumble, Schultz.

I dig Diggs. He is going to produce turnovers for us, something we haven't had from the CB position since... hell.. Deion? He will lead the team in Int's this year just because of the fact that he's the one that TURNS AROUND AND ACTIVELY ATTEMPTS TO INTERCEPT THE BALL.

I like the way EE looks. He's not just in better shape but he's running with authority again.

I don't like our scheme. Not a fan of Nolan. I wish we would/could have just made Richard the DC. Maybe wouldn't have been great but at least better than what we've seen. Richard could have made Diggs a superstart IMO.

Jaylon. The dude has MORE than enough physical traits to be a beast, but he's tentative (knee probably) and his instincts are poor.

Lee.. seriously, get rid of him. He has never been able to stay healthy, at this point he's just a progress stopper.

LVE... Lee 2.0, except without the ability.

Pass rush, but that probably has a lot to do with Nolan. We'll see.

shabazz

Reaction score
I liked the offense battling back

I disliked the sloppiness and ineptitude of the offense for creating a game in which they had to battle back

KDM256

Reaction score
Likes: Skill position on Offense, Greg the Leg, Aggressive play calling on 4th down

Dislikes: Offensive Line, LB depth, paying Sideline Snake Lee 4.5MM oppose to getting a LB with a pulse

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Riverboat Mikes analytical tactics have been quite the surprise thus far in the season.

It’s already cost us an opportunity to tie and potentially extend the first game and if not for one of the biggest gaffs in the NFL with Falcons failed recovery of onside kick would have left Us at 0-2 headed to Seattle with playoff hopes and becoming a strong contender practically over in September as the odds of post season after 0-3 is abdominal at best. Something the Cowboys had never overcome.

That’s how close we were to a total collapse in this new regime . And as early in a season as I can recall with such high hopes. We were given a lifeline with the Falcons epic collapse . We shall see what we do with it.
Totally agree, Greg. Cowboys should be 2-0, but could also just as easily be 0-2 due to McCarthy's gambling. Hope it doesn't bite us in the end and cost us more winnable games. Time will tell. Hope McCarthy makes smarter decisions.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Hate all the 1st down runs. Dak is looking like a superstar throwing the ball, but we keep forcing the ball between the tackles on every 1st down. I think Marcus Mosher said we ran on 11/16 firsts last week, which is about 70% of the time. Zeke's running well, but you give some of those throws to Dak and he'll turn it into a hell of a lot more than 2nd and 6.

Dak has 37 1st down attempts

Zeke has rushed 29 times on 1st down

What is the complaint?

bandfan

Reaction score
Haven't liked the weirdness on the oline of who plays and who backs up.

Knight should have played over Steele. I haven't seen anyone disagree but the coaches, yet I think the published depth chart this week had Steele at RT, Knight backing up Tyron.

Weird that Williams gets camp snaps at C, but not T.

Meanwhile, McGovern gets no snaps at C in camp.

Maybe when Collins and Tyron are back, we consider playing Knight at LG. He's just playing better than Williams.

I don't see us signing Williams to a new contract. It should soon be time to get young guys with a longer future with us onto the field. Biadasz, McGovern, Knight.
I agree..... Connor Williams is far too old. Hell he's already 23, don't know why they keep him around either....:facepalm:

quickccc

Reaction score
i'd prefer this thread after at least a handful of games vs just a couple games ...but here goes:

- Dak standing in strong vs pass despite make shift OL
- Kellen finally implementing RB screens vs ATL
- Moore route design -open plays for Lamb & Scultz
- emerging play of Hill ,Aldon and Thomas on defense
- team keeps up fights and claws to stay competitive to have chance to win game at end
- Stand outs on defense: Hill, Aldon and Thomas
- WR trio and Dak off to great start
- Zeke running " Angry" ..showing up as a power- churning-bell cow
- Team is surviving with a makeshift OL
- Unheralded players: ala Schultz, Knight in step up 1 game

DISLIKES:
-
Disappointing pass rush - Zero Turnovers
- Kellen goes conservative On- the- ROAD, open up more at HOME;
- DC Nolan forcing complex scheme too soon, with little install time; causing Rob Ryan like confusion
- Defense still vulnerable to RB screens and misdirection
- special teams still in question
- Pollard still not a factor
- the interior OL has been decent/average; OGs underachieving
- Disappointing CB coverage;
- Disappointing players per Jaylon, Crawford, Poe, Dlaw
- Injury rash in just 2 game thus far ...