What's best for 2021?

GMO415

Reaction score
The majority of players? I thought we're losing our whole secondary?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A few examples of poor Jerry decisions last 5 years IMO...
  • Witten brought back after original retirement.
  • Crawford kept past his effectiveness at that pay grade.
  • The Zeke contract- starting with caving two years early.
  • The Greg Hardy decision.
  • The ongoing decision not draft or acquire a top shelf safety.
To name a few...

I!m asking specifically about keeping players too long and being Jerry specific decisions.

Greg Hardy was good on the field. Marinelli said emphatically on camera that he wanted him to return the following year.

It seemed that McCoy was going to bump Bump Crawford off the roster but he got injured. That has happened with other player like David Irving but something always happens and nobody steps up to replace Crawford.

Did Witten returning for 1 year, 3M really impact the team negatively?

Jerry won 3 Super Bowls as owner.

Landry won 2 as HC...

Thrill99

Reaction score
Best thing for us is be competitive, win a few games but miss the playoffs.

BINGO!!

Every year is a new year and recent history has shown what happens the previous year doesn't carry over to the next (see examples below). How often did we say that the team had bought into JG's culture and always played for him - competitive in every game. What did that get you? Not much.
2019 8-8-0 2nd -- NFC East
2018 10-6-0 1st -- NFC East 1-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs
2017 9-7-0 2nd -- NFC East
2016 13-3-0 1st -- NFC East 0-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs
2015 4-12-0 4th -- NFC East
2014 12-4-0 1st -- NFC East 1-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs

Listen, I think we can all be honest here and admit this team ain't winning a championship this year, and most likely best they can do is one-and-done. Isn't winning championships what we're all about. Winning championships takes playmakers. Your best chances of getting those players are at the top of the draft. I suggest thinking big picture and have a top 10 pick this year. Get some more Lambs, Elliotts, etc.
To be honest with you, I think they will win the division and be one-and-done.

Thrill99

Reaction score
Best thing for us is be competitive, win a few games but miss the playoffs.

BINGO!!

Every year is a new year and recent history has shown what happens the previous year doesn't carry over to the next (see examples below). How often did we say that the team had bought into JG's culture and always played for him - competitive in every game. What did that get you? Not much.
2019 8-8-0 2nd -- NFC East
2018 10-6-0 1st -- NFC East 1-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs
2017 9-7-0 2nd -- NFC East
2016 13-3-0 1st -- NFC East 0-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs
2015 4-12-0 4th -- NFC East
2014 12-4-0 1st -- NFC East 1-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs

Listen, I think we can all be honest here and admit this team ain't winning a championship this year, and most likely best they can do is one-and-done. Isn't winning championships what we're all about. Winning championships takes playmakers. Your best chances of getting those players are at the top of the draft. I suggest thinking big picture and have a top 10 pick this year. Get some more Lambs, Elliotts, etc.
To be honest with you, I think they will win the division and be one-and-done.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Isn't that what all of the tanking talk is about, getting a better draft pick to fix the problems? Is that going to do it?

I am a reformed tanker myself. The PIT game changed my mind because I was ready to pull the life support then they came out of the coma and they just looked different. They looked ready to play.

So, which is better for this team? Higher draft picks or saving this season and this group of players that they will move forward into 2021 with because they can't change all of them out.

A new coaching staff not but several weeks into the season and getting hammered and talk of a one and done HC and a rat in the root cellar trying to send the message of a players' revolt and it's back to the drawing board. Welcome to the Dallas Cowboys.

Because of the circumstances and the resulting cap this season, next season will not be the one to reload with FA's so this team will comprise most of next season's team.

So, how does this coaching staff, that's not going anywhere, best prepare for next season? By winning as much as they can this season. Some kind of intentional losing to get better draft picks going to win over the players on this team? Is that going to instill confidence in the coaching or the players themselves? Or does that send the message I am playing for people that are OK with losing.

There's a lot to be said for teams that fight through the tough times and at one time, that was a question about this team. Did they even care? That question has been answered and once they got rid of the rat and brought the DC down form the booth, it started to become a team.

I am not fooling myself, the division is still in question and if they win it, the odds of them winning a playoff game are not great but what could that do to the team psyche and outlook going forward? What could that do to better establish the relationship between the coaches and players?

The undeniable fact is that the majority of these players are going to remain on the team and some of 2020 will be carried forward into 2021. The question is what do you want carried forward? A team that got a high draft pick or a team that knows how to fight to the very end?

Like you, I want a better 2021 but I think the best way for that to happen is to make the most of what remains of 2020.
So for all the “fans” who want the team to tank please answer this question. Who is going to tank?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I!m asking specifically about keeping players too long and being Jerry specific decisions.

Greg Hardy was good on the field. Marinelli said emphatically on camera that he wanted him to return the following year.

It seemed that McCoy was going to bump Bump Crawford off the roster but he got injured. That has happened with other player like David Irving but something always happens and nobody steps up to replace Crawford.

Did Witten returning for 1 year, 3M really impact the team negatively?

Jerry won 3 Super Bowls as owner.

Landry won 2 as HC...
Three points:
1. Greg Hardy was not that good on the field for us in 2015. In 12 games, he had 6 sacks, but 4 of those sacks were in his first 4 games, including 2 in his first game against the pats. In his last 4 games here, he had a half a sack and 8 combined tackles. He was a locker room cancer that would have required a spectacular performance to offset his less than stellar presence here. In a league hungry for pass rushers, not a single NFL GM would have him except for Jerry.

2. Saying Jerry Jones won 3 SBs is like saying John Lennon was the only Beatle. Jerry’s career as GM here since Jimmy left is Jerry’s “solo work”. He’s made a lot of money for himself and his fellow owners, earning a HOF spot for his “contributions to the game”. Not his achievements as a “football guru”. Jerry was a part of those 3 SBs, not the centerpiece. That’s obvious now.

3. Tom Landry forgot more about football in one day than Jerry Jones will ever know. His teams won two SBs, compared to the Jones era’s 3, but Landry’s teams exceeded this era in every other way. 20 straight winning seasons, 12 conference championship games and 5 SBs in 17 seasons, and 20 total playoff wins in 29 seasons, while the Jones era has produced 4 conference championship games, 3 SB’s, and 15 total playoff wins in 30 seasons.

jnday

Reaction score
I can't wait to see this team select the next Morris Claiborne!
Ooh, maybe they'll replace Elliott!

I reference the last super-high picks the Cowboys obtained, of course.

When you want to tank, think about the decision makers on the other side.
So they should stink every year and keep drafting in the mid to late round and draft second tier talent? Lamb was a gift from the football gods, but depending on top talent to fall in the draft is not good draft strategy.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Isn't that what all of the tanking talk is about, getting a better draft pick to fix the problems? Is that going to do it?

I am a reformed tanker myself. The PIT game changed my mind because I was ready to pull the life support then they came out of the coma and they just looked different. They looked ready to play.

So, which is better for this team? Higher draft picks or saving this season and this group of players that they will move forward into 2021 with because they can't change all of them out.

A new coaching staff not but several weeks into the season and getting hammered and talk of a one and done HC and a rat in the root cellar trying to send the message of a players' revolt and it's back to the drawing board. Welcome to the Dallas Cowboys.

Because of the circumstances and the resulting cap this season, next season will not be the one to reload with FA's so this team will comprise most of next season's team.

So, how does this coaching staff, that's not going anywhere, best prepare for next season? By winning as much as they can this season. Some kind of intentional losing to get better draft picks going to win over the players on this team? Is that going to instill confidence in the coaching or the players themselves? Or does that send the message I am playing for people that are OK with losing.

There's a lot to be said for teams that fight through the tough times and at one time, that was a question about this team. Did they even care? That question has been answered and once they got rid of the rat and brought the DC down form the booth, it started to become a team.

I am not fooling myself, the division is still in question and if they win it, the odds of them winning a playoff game are not great but what could that do to the team psyche and outlook going forward? What could that do to better establish the relationship between the coaches and players?

The undeniable fact is that the majority of these players are going to remain on the team and some of 2020 will be carried forward into 2021. The question is what do you want carried forward? A team that got a high draft pick or a team that knows how to fight to the very end?

Like you, I want a better 2021 but I think the best way for that to happen is to make the most of what remains of 2020.
After looking over the 2021 draft prospects I also ditched the "tank" philosophy.
I dont think we'll do anything in the play offs and our needs in the draft can be drafted later.

Doomsday77

Reaction score

Great post CC...with a relatively young group I think this a an opportunity to learn how to win football games. If this team can continue to play at their current level the rest of the way, then they are going to be so much better next year especially with our starters returning from injury.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Three points:
1. Greg Hardy was not that good on the field for us in 2015. In 12 games, he had 6 sacks, but 4 of those sacks were in his first 4 games, including 2 in his first game against the pats. In his last 4 games here, he had a half a sack and 8 combined tackles. He was a locker room cancer that would have required a spectacular performance to offset his less than stellar presence here. In a league hungry for pass rushers, not a single NFL GM would have him except for Jerry.

2. Saying Jerry Jones won 3 SBs is like saying John Lennon was the only Beatle. Jerry’s career as GM here since Jimmy left is Jerry’s “solo work”. He’s made a lot of money for himself and his fellow owners, earning a HOF spot for his “contributions to the game”. Not his achievements as a “football guru”. Jerry was a part of those 3 SBs, not the centerpiece. That’s obvious now.

3. Tom Landry forgot more about football in one day than Jerry Jones will ever know. His teams won two SBs, compared to the Jones era’s 3, but Landry’s teams exceeded this era in every other way. 20 straight winning seasons, 12 conference championship games and 5 SBs in 17 seasons, and 20 total playoff wins in 29 seasons, while the Jones era has produced 4 conference championship games, 3 SB’s, and 15 total playoff wins in 30 seasons.

Those Super Bowls don't happen if Bum Bright and Landry stayed.

Jerry/Jimmy won 3 in 7 years.

Landry won 2 in 29.

The goal is Super Bowls wins, not runner up trophies.

3 in 30 is still a better average than 2 in 29.

Back to the original question...how many players in the past 5 years have stayed too long because was attached to them.

Marinelli wanted Hardy to return.

DLaw had a breakout year because Hardy got the blocking attention.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those Super Bowls don't happen if Bum Bright and Landry stayed.

Jerry/Jimmy won 3 in 7 years.

Landry won 2 in 29.

The goal is Super Bowls wins, not runner up trophies.

3 in 30 is still a better average than 2 in 29.

Back to the original question...how many players in the past 5 years have stayed too long because was attached to them.

Marinelli wanted Hardy to return.

DLaw had a breakout year because Hardy got the blocking attention.
Well X, that’s certainly one way of looking at it, lol.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Sign Dak.

That’s the most important thing we can do if we want to field a competitive team in 2020.

Our 1-4 record with the backup QB’s won’t get the job done.

so the near 1-4 with dak was better? 8-8 last year?

hmm better make a better point then the record without him.. we are actually 2-4 without him and horrible team even worse OL and QB for few game then Dak had..

sure for the right contract sign Dak but dont use a horrible record by dak and post dak as a valid argument..

this dude has NOT earned an open check deal, hes not irreplaceable because if he continues to play hard ball and sets his feet even harder and wants 38-42 mil and short deal non team friendly structures, he WILL NO DOUBT get the FT and most likely hold out , we need backup plan for sure..maybe take players late first like Trask, or another QB that drops early second..no reason to not do both..

its NOT given daks back as the last 2 off-season's and no deal says otherwise..his injurys throws more doubt in the Jonses opening up blank check for him as they didnt so it with him healthy..

I like dak would be nice to not upset the stability but he hasn't earned a max deal in my eyes..maybe he softens his stance after ye injurys who knows but no way I'm handing him that short elite deal has after..

blueblood70

Reaction score

having a few more wins doesnt change much, we still at worse get a top 15 pick we got Lamb last year we can find defenders for 2021..you can have both..not all PB HOF types come top10 or even top 5 many come from all over the draft,,dak was 4th rounder..Brady 6th Rogers went late 1st etc etc many defenders will still be available and most didnt have top 10 grade anyway so we simply wont have the ability to trade down grab more pics but the defenders we are most likely targeting will still be where we are picking..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well X, that’s certainly one way of looking at it, lol.

ive said that for years those complain about the drought other teams had longer drought and less trophies..it seems to me this fan base would have been happier if they won one every decade and spread them out instead of the 3 nearly all in a row.. that narrative while understandable about 25years is just a bit over emphasized. i get the frustration however other teams an coaches lets use Reid ,since hes the current standard.

HE NEVER WON EVEN ONE CHAMPIONSHIP AND WAS ONLY IN WHAT ONE AND LOST? IT TOOK HIM 15YEARS TO GET TO ANOTHER AND IT TOOK A HOF BOUND GENERNATIONAL TALENT LIKE MAHOMES TO GET IT DONE..WELL KC IT WAS WHAT 50, FIFTY YEARS, BETWEEN THEIR CHAMPIONSHIPS..!!

PHILLY HAD ONE, TOOK 60YEARS OF EXISTENCE , THATS 60..TWICE AS LONG AS OUR DROUGHT AND WE HAVE 5 TO LEAN ON WHILE WE WAIT..

OUTSIDE OF NE THIS IS THE REALITY OF THE NFL, I KNOW OTHER TEAMS SINCE 1996 HAVE AT LEAST BEEN TO THE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES BUT IM SAYING WHILE ITS FRUSTRATING, ITS NOT AS BAD AS FANS WANT TO MAKE IT.. THE JONSES BROUGHT MORE CHAMPIONSHIPs IN THE SAME TIME PERIOD AS TH OLD REGIME AND W-L RECORDS NOT THAT FAR OFF over 29-30year..

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
So they should stink every year and keep drafting in the mid to late round and draft second tier talent? Lamb was a gift from the football gods, but depending on top talent to fall in the draft is not good draft strategy.
Like Zach Martin? Great point.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I don't disagree with your strat. I just think the top brass will muck it up.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Opting to stay with this group of players is definitely not going to make the future brighter. At least tanking would allow the team to draft better players with higher draft picks each round. Making the most of what they have this season is simply not good enough and staying with these players next year will just be another year with mediocrity at best.
And this assumes they will pick better players. What happened to the players before these?

It's not the players, it's the pickers.