What's going on at TE

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I haven't been able to catch much of the preseason. The official Cowboys podcasts haven't talked about TE at all. Is Dalton Schultz the starter or is Jarwin going to takeover again? Who is the #3? How has the group looked?

This is obviously the weakest part of the offense, so just wondering how it is shaping up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I haven't been able to catch much of the preseason. The official Cowboys podcasts haven't talked about TE at all. Is Dalton Schultz the starter or is Jarwin going to takeover again? Who is the #3? How has the group looked?

This is obviously the weakest part of the offense, so just wondering how it is shaping up.

Not sure who starts but I think Dallas TE position will be fine, Shultz proved last year he can play at this level and Jarwin return should only help matters. The only question mark is at 3rd TE. Way I see it if your question mark is at 3rd string then the position is not in bad shape

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jarwin. Should be Schultz though. He's clearly the better player but they still can't get the vision of Jarwin making plays against a thoroughly disinterested and bad Giants team in season finale out of their head.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Schultz proved he is a player last season. I think he is our guy. Jarwin backup but I am sure lots of 2 TE sets. I hope whoever the third guy is he is viscous blocker.

Carson

Reaction score
Schultz should be starting.

But with Jarwins contract and Schultz likely gone season, Jarwin will start

quickccc

Reaction score
Not sure who starts but I think Dallas TE position will be fine, Shultz proved last year he can play at this level
and Jarwin return should only help matters. The only question mark is at 3rd TE. Way I see it if your question mark is at 3rd string then the position is not in bad shape

I'm far more feeling confidant about Schultz's durability and gritty toughness than i am vs Blake Jarwin.

i think Jarwin is somewhat on the soft side, but he runs better as a receiver than Schultz and i'm starting to wonder if he'd fit more
as an occasional spot player than a full time starter.

Though he's only in his 2nd year, McKeon is probably the best in-line blocking TE on the roster and too often our other TEs
cannot sustain the edges or move defenders off the ball.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm far more feeling confidant about Schultz's durability and gritty toughness than i am vs Blake Jarwin.

i think Jarwin is somewhat on the soft side, but he runs better as a receiver than Schultz and i'm starting to wonder if he'd fit more
as an occasional spot player than a full time starter.

Though he's only in his 2nd year, McKeon is probably the best in-line blocking TE on the roster and too often our other TEs
cannot sustain the edges or move defenders off the ball.

I agree on Jarwin durability being a concern. I do feel more confident in our TE situation after seeing Schultz performance last season. I really see no TE in this offense getting the targets that we saw with Witten given the fact the WR we have. 1 ball and main options will be WR as opposed to TE. These TE need to make the most of the opportunity when the ball comes their way because it can lead to some big plays

Reid1boys

Reaction score

I disagree that this position is weak. We dont have Travis kelce or George Kittle, but I actually think this is a strong part of the team. Schultz was actually very good last year, now with Jarwin back... we are not weak at TE.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Jarwin. Should be Schultz though. He's clearly the better player but they still can't get the vision of Jarwin making plays against a thoroughly disinterested and bad Giants team in season finale out of their head.
I think this could be like the NBA and who is a "Starter." I see Schultz getting plenty of time, regardless of who is the "Starter."

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
does whos starting matter AND WHOS THE 3RD TE MATTER? nope

Not sure what you mean here...but I think TE could be a HUGE part of our game. If the line stays healthy of course.
You got Amari, Ceedee, and Michael roaming around out there.

You got Zeke and Tony tearing up the ground (and some air too).

Who's scott free?

TE.

I'm not saying a ton of touches...but they should be big plays and scores.

blueblood70

Reaction score
it doesn't matter whos labeled the starter Jawrin /shultz will get this shots and the 3rd TE doesnt mater enough to worry about it..

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak will make any player better, no matter who they put out there. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Dallas doesn't have a "weakest part of the offense".
  • Blake Jarwin
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Sean McKeon
  • Jeremy Sprinkle

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

It looks to me that we plan to play both Jarwin and Schultz. I won't be surprised, though, if Schultz is in single-tight end sets because he's the better blocker.

The No. 3 might end on the practice squad to be called up the first couple of games while McKeon is on IR.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It looks to me that we plan to play both Jarwin and Schultz. I won't be surprised, though, if Schultz is in single-tight end sets because he's the better blocker.

The No. 3 might end on the practice squad to be called up the first couple of games while McKeon is on IR.

how's that different form other teams ie Philly DallasG and Ertz same type of off setting skillsets, you find their niche and go for it , however locking them into a role where you give defense key to what's running by whos IN there is a mistake..its why i want pollard to come in more and used like starter at times not just to go run outside or catch passes, it lets the defense have you TELL..

when Noah brown comes in almost always a alert a run lay maybe coming...that has to stop..have to use that against defenses.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
how's that different form other teams ie Philly DallasG and Ertz same type of off setting skillsets, you find their niche and go for it , however locking them into a role where you give defense key to what's running by whos IN there is a mistake..its why i want pollard to come in more and used like starter at times not just to go run outside or catch passes, it lets the defense have you TELL..

when Noah brown comes in almost always a alert a run lay maybe coming...that has to stop..have to use that against defenses.

Jarwin in there doesn't mean you are going to pass. Schultz in there doesn't mean you are going to run.

The difference is simply that Schultz is a better run blocker, so you want him on the field in single-tight end formations more for when we do run. We'll have two tight ends out there at times, and that doesn't tell whether we're passing or running either.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Jarwin in there doesn't mean you are going to pass. Schultz in there doesn't mean you are going to run.

The difference is simply that Schultz is a better run blocker, so you want him on the field in single-tight end formations more for when we do run. We'll have two tight ends out there at times, and that doesn't tell whether we're passing or running either.
thats the way you hope it goes but far too often when they send in pollard jarwin or other packages like brown(run play) it was easy to know what was about to happen. A couple of those backups was it whiteside, austin, and dunbar , i mean was almost so easy to know what was about to come Jet sweep end around etc etc

that has to stop is my point..