What's Past is Prologue

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shakespeare famously wrote something centuries ago that very aptly applies to our owner and his son in their front office talk and actions: ”What’s past is prologue.” (From the play “The Tempest”) The idea behind that statement simply means what has been done in the past is the context for what will happen in the future.

After 28 years of winning 4 wild card playoff games with the same two guys fully in charge, we all should know by now what these guys are going to say and do in a typical off-season. Below is a checklist of the things I expect to see and hear from Jerry and Stephen this off-season leading up to the regular season. With these guys, the past is certainly the prologue. Here are some samples with evidence from the past.

SOME STATEMENTS/PHRASES WE WILL HEAR IN THE NEXT FIVE MONTHS
HERE‘S WHAT I WILL BELIEVE IN 2024: I love the Cowboys, always have and always will. I want them to win and will be thrilled if they win a bunch of playoff games next year. But I will believe they are a great team when they actually win a divisional playoff game for the first time since since Jan, 1996. Nothing anyone associated with what this team says matters. It’s WHAT THEY DO THAT MATTERS.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Feels like a repetitive cycle of suck. You could scan the posts on the front page of CZ and not know what year it was, we've been discussing the same issues for a long long time.
When I looked up some of the articles I linked in the OP, it amazes me how many times JJ and SJ say the same things year after year. Only the cast of players and coaches change.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
During camp, when the media once again questions Jerry's will to win a SB, he will respond with his "I will do ANYTHING to win a Super Bowl"....and as we all know, that is certainly disingenuous. In fact, it's a bald faced lie. And Stephen will double down on daddy's comment.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Shakespeare famously wrote something centuries ago that very aptly apply to our owner and his son in their front office talk and actions: ”What’s past is prologue.” (From the play “The Tempest) The idea behind that statement simply means what has been done in the past is the context for what will happen in the future.

After 28 years of winning 4 wild card playoff games with the same two guys fully in charge, we all should know by know what these guys are going to say and do in a typical off#season. Below is a checklist of the things I expect to see and hear from Jerry and Stephen this off-season leading up to the regular season. With these guys, the past is certainly the prologue. Here are some samples with evidence from the past.

HERE‘S WHAT I WILL BELIEVE IN 2024: I love the Cowboys, always have and always will. I want them to win and will be thrilled if they win a bunch of playoff games next year. But I will believe they are a great team when they actually win a divisional playoff game for the first time since since Jan, 1996. Nothing anyone associated with team says matters. It’s WHAT THEY DO THAT MATTERS.
Those who don't learn from history...

CCBoy

Reaction score
At least they stay away from election just not carings...

Brax

Reaction score
Shakespeare famously wrote something centuries ago that very aptly applies to our owner and his son in their front office talk and actions: ”What’s past is prologue.” (From the play “The Tempest”) The idea behind that statement simply means what has been done in the past is the context for what will happen in the future.

After 28 years of winning 4 wild card playoff games with the same two guys fully in charge, we all should know by now what these guys are going to say and do in a typical off-season. Below is a checklist of the things I expect to see and hear from Jerry and Stephen this off-season leading up to the regular season. With these guys, the past is certainly the prologue. Here are some samples with evidence from the past.

HERE‘S WHAT I WILL BELIEVE IN 2024: I love the Cowboys, always have and always will. I want them to win and will be thrilled if they win a bunch of playoff games next year. But I will believe they are a great team when they actually win a divisional playoff game for the first time since since Jan, 1996. Nothing anyone associated with team says matters. It’s WHAT THEY DO THAT MATTERS.
Those that don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it. What are the chances that they have learned anything and will change based on the last 28 years. You have pretty much summed it up perfectly, don’t forget “I believe this is a championship caliber team” followed by “ you know ah ah ah it’s really ah hard to win in tha ah ah playoffs” So basically based on history Dak gets a massive contract extension the team is built around a offensive philosophy with 2/3 of the cap devoted to the offense and after another 1 and done playoff run, Jerry will step to the mike and start with “I believe this is a championship caliber team” followed by “ you know ah ah ah it’s really ah hard to win in tha ah ah playoffs”

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
When you mentioned past is prologue the hopeful section of my tiny brain, for a split second, immediately went back to the glorious impact of Jimmy in Dallas, with the recent revelation that Jimmy was back in the fold. That was a fun second. Then it passed and cold, cruel, harsh reality set in and I have to agree with the heartbreaking tenor of your post.

starfan1

Reaction score
Yep I agree this sums up perfectly but i also wont be abandoning them or crying in here if they dont.(not saying its you) I have moved on to draft and FA thoughts this year and I did so rather quickly

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep I agree this sums up perfectly but i also wont be abandoning them or crying in here if they dont.(not saying its you) I have moved on to draft and FA thoughts this year and I did so rather quickly
Yeah I have hope every year. My hope at this point centers on Lady Luck as opposed to confidence in our “leadership” team.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score

HERE‘S WHAT I WILL BELIEVE IN 2024: I love the Cowboys, always have and always will. I want them to win and will be thrilled if they win a bunch of playoff games next year. But I will believe they are a great team when they actually win a divisional playoff game for the first time since since Jan, 1996. Nothing anyone associated with what this team says matters. It’s WHAT THEY DO THAT MATTERS.
Very well posted and thought out Bobhaze. And very much truth..

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
While not defending this franchise at all or their mistakes along the way, most of those lines are generic phrases all owners and gm’s use when speaking to the media.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I been saying.
I am not excited for this off-season. Now maybe if some good things happen. As to signing better FA's than usual. And a good solid draft, at least on paper.
Then maybe I may perk up a little bit. But it still does not make me want to go ... all in ...

TC, yes, as I want to see how a few players do and for improvement. But then again, what does TC truly show us at times.

I am looking forward to see Trey Lance in PS games. And he will see a lot of plays.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Are you an AI bot?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those that don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it. What are the chances that they have learned anything and will change based on the last 28 years. You have pretty much summed it up perfectly, don’t forget “I believe this is a championship caliber team” followed by “ you know ah ah ah it’s really ah hard to win in tha ah ah playoffs” So basically based on history Dak gets a massive contract extension the team is built around a offensive philosophy with 2/3 of the cap devoted to the offense and after another 1 and done playoff run, Jerry will step to the mike and start with “I believe this is a championship caliber team” followed by “ you know ah ah ah it’s really ah hard to win in tha ah ah playoffs”
You are correct. At this point we could all probably write a complete off-season script for the Jones boys.