What's the benefit of waiting to sign a kicker?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We've went out and improved this team in many areas, one of the biggest areas of concern are at kicker. It's a position that's been struggling for years now, why are we waiting to sign someone?

Are we trying to let the best man win, work with what we have like we did at WR last year??? I don't get it, it'll take for us to see this current kicker do bad at practice for us to finally sign someone?? Please someone give me your thoughts

Jumbo075

Reaction score
We've went out and improved this team in many areas, one of the biggest areas of concern are at kicker. It's a position that's been struggling for years now, why are we waiting to sign someone?

Are we trying to let the best man win, work with what we have like we did at WR last year??? I don't get it, it'll take for us to see this current kicker do bad at practice for us to finally sign someone?? Please someone give me your thoughts
Waiting to sign a kicker is about as beneficial as rushing to sign a kicker. It really doesn’t matter.

Also, the Cowboys do have a kicker on the roster - just not one that fans have confidence in. That guy can provide what the Cowboys need to practice on special teams, which is really all that is needed right now. Who knows? Maybe the kid is a diamond in the rough, and the Cowboys already have the kicker they need.

Carson

Reaction score
Because the team is going to go with a veteran who is not available yet.

Gould is likely out of their price range. But it 100% will be Nick Folk, Mason Crosby or Brett Maher next season.

My money is on Mason Crosby. Texas kid, drafted by McCarthy and they can sign him for two years at $3-4 million per year. His #s have gone down in the past, but kicking in warm weather will be much easier than kicking in Green Bay come October / November.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Most likely they have analyzed every team’s kicking situation and have identified one or more kickers that are likely to become available at some point which they like better than what’s available right now. They don’t need “the” kicker until week 1 since it will be a vet who is ready to go. The kicker they have now will do for OTAs, camp, and preseason. No need to rush or worry. They have their eye on someone who they think will become available. Believe me, they are not twisting in the wind here. They have a plan and are being patient.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it's the first day of TC and the Cowboys don't have a kicker competition I'll start to wonder, not worry.

Until then, meh.

EST_1986

Reaction score
If it's the first day of TC and the Cowboys don't have a kicker competition I'll start to wonder, not worry.

Until then, meh.
plus theres no better free agent than the bottom of the barrel ones, no reason to jump on a name that could actually help

conner01

Reaction score
Most likely they have analyzed every team’s kicking situation and have identified one or more kickers that are likely to become available at some point which they like better than what’s available right now. They don’t need “the” kicker until week 1 since it will be a vet who is ready to go. The kicker they have now will do for OTAs, camp, and preseason. No need to rush or worry. They have their eye on someone who they think will become available. Believe me, they are not twisting in the wind here. They have a plan and are being patient.
It’s not like we’ve missed signing a guy they would have wanted anyway
Some kickers like Gould just became more valuable with new KO rule since their biggest issue was weak kickoffs

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
plus theres no better free agent than the bottom of the barrel ones, no reason to jump on a name that could actually help
Stop saying this. The in-demand kickers have no reason to sign right now. They basically name their price and whatever team will meet it, they'll sign with in or around training camp.

There is no benefit to a kicker to sign with anyone right now.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Stop saying this. The in-demand kickers have no reason to sign right now. They basically name their price and whatever team will meet it, they'll sign with in or around training camp.

There is no benefit to a kicker to sign with anyone right now.

Matt Gay is a bum, right? Agreed to a deal two days before free agency started.. Not to mention the 6 other free agent kickers that agreed to new deals.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

Matt Gay is a bum, right? Agreed to a deal two days before free agency started.. Not to mention the 6 other free agent kickers that agreed to new deals.

Cool, but it doesn't matter to the point. Maybe he likes to sign early. There's still no reason for kickers to do that, so the idea that the Cowboys haven't signed one is entirely because they are not pursuing kickers is false.