What's the biggest difference between Sean Lee & Luke Kuechly?

Frozen700

Reaction score
I love how saying Kuechly might not be THE BEST linebacker, maybe the 2nd best linebacker, and that's "discrediting" him. Stop it. And no, it has nothing to do with our players vs the rest of the league. Just tell me what you think Kuechly does better. He is more reliable, he might have better top end speed, he might lift more weight, but that has nothing to do with football. What does he do better on the field that you can measure up with what Lee does? Lee is impeccable, a football player. He's complete. Playing the run, reading blocks, fighting through blocks, dropping back, recognizing routes, reading the QB, tackling, whatever you want to look at he's great at it. Kuechly is also good at most things but he doesn't do those things as well as Lee does, he's not as complete a football player, he's not as experienced, he's not as disruptive. Sean had almost twice as many tackles for a loss. He's reads plays faster than anyone else in the league. But since he's not blessed with the same front, since he doesn't have an offense that puts up a lot of points and lets the defense just pin their ears back and go after the QB, he doesn't get the same opportunities. In our defense he has to do everything, mostly playing the run because our offense can't score points, we fall behind quick, at which point as a LB there's just no plays to be made. He has to play the run, pass, blitz. What does Kuechly do? Every down it's drop back and wait for somebody to throw the ball to you. He doesn't have to worry about stopping the run or his team falling behind and whatnot.

One question: Swap both these guys. Lee plays for the Panthers in '15, Kuechly plays for us. Do you think Kuechly is the best LB in the game in this defense without an offense? Do you not think Lee would have easily posted better numbers than Kuechly did with THAT front 4? With THAT offense? With what he would have had to do there, basically just drop back all the time, something he does better than anyone else? Come on. Has nothing to do with our players vs the rest. We don't have a single player outside of Lee maybe and Tyron Smith that might be the best at his position. Is there proof that they are? Of course not, you can argue. You can't measure that. Would I trade Lee for Kuechly? Of course. Kuechly is younger, he's one of the best in the game, he's reliable. But I don't think he's a better player.

You don't think he's a better player because Lee is on this team.

Had it been reverse you'd say Luke was better.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Removing the injury prone thing is a pretty big deal. Just removed the most important thing of any player---that is--actually playing.

The two have about the same number of picks--but of course, Keuchly came into the league two years later. TWO YEARS

Last edited:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Removing the injury prone thing is a pretty big deal. Just removed the most important thing of any player---that is--actually playing.

The two have about the same number of picks--but of course, Keuchly has came into the league two years later. TWO YEARS

Games played is what I was I look at.

K-DOGG

Reaction score
Confidence in the players he plays with and some actual help when he is out on the field! And a nice secondary also make him look extra good! He is a great player! All over the field on every play!:)

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Kuechly is clearly the better player right now, but it could be the DC and scheme of Carolina is better too.
Better coaches means better players.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Nothing extraordinary that says best Defensive player in the NFL. (my opinion)

He's having a better statistical year than when he won Defensive Player of the Year in 2013. He's also 1st team all pro for the 3rd year in a row. (my stats)

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Kuechly and Lee are 1A and 1B (Lee is that good). People tend to forget that Kuechly missed games this year because of a concussion.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
He's an inch taller and around 5lbs heavier. I don't know how you define 'much', but....

Also, the OP said regardless of injuries.

I say if you throw out Lee's concussion issues, they're very close with either guy getting the edge based on what the people around him are doing. Kuechly has a better defensive line, better linebacker accompaniment and a better secondary behind him. I would still give Kuechly the edge, because I think he's a little more explosive.

That's what I'm saying. I don't understand the people claiming Kuechly is much stronger & bigger. They obviously don't know who exactly Sean Lee is. Dude is a thoroughbread. Definition of a stud. Yall don't remember the videos from Penn St. Where Lee is making Navarro Bowman look like an out of shape kid?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying. I don't understand the people claiming Kuechly is much stronger & bigger. They obviously don't know who exactly Sean Lee is. Dude is a thoroughbread. Definition of a stud. Yall don't remember the videos from Penn St. Where Lee is making Navarro Bowman look like an out of shape kid?

Great video and Sean Is a beast BUT

If Kuechly was on the Cowboys he would still be the MIKE and Sean would still be the WILL. Sean was moved to help protect him from further injuries.

Trendnet

Reaction score
Great video and Sean Is a beast BUT

If Kuechly was on the Cowboys he would still be the MIKE and Sean would still be the WILL. Sean was moved to help protect him from further injuries.

So you are saying Kuechly would be the Hardy Nickerson to Sean Lee's Derrick Brooks?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

I've never seen Kuechly get laid out by wide receivers though.

leepwned.gif
[/quote]