What's The Latest On Philip Rivers In SD?...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
...I have no idea if he will be available or what he would cost or if he would be worth it, but this franchise must commit itself to obtaining and developing a young, talented QB.

If we are looking in the draft, Jay Cutler from Vanderbilt would be my choice.

Hiero

Reaction score
I agree, I thought Rivers out of college was great. I'd love to have him here, but I think he may want to start. If he can beat out Bledsoe in TC or willing to wait possibly a year he would be perfect here. I think Rivers is already starter ready, he played all 4 years and has had time to ride the bench in SD.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
...I have no idea if he will be available or what he would cost or if he would be worth it, but this franchise must commit itself to obtaining and developing a young, talented QB..
Just last night I posted that very question on a Chargers board... :D

BTW, I like Cutler, too. He'll skyrocket up the board by the time April rolls around.

Hiero

Reaction score
I am thinking he would cost at least a 2nd rder, something I would be willing to pay, maybe it would take even our 1st, not too sure i'd pass on that deal still personally.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hiero said:
I am thinking he would cost at least a 2nd rder, something I would be willing to pay, maybe it would take even our 1st, not too sure i'd pass on that deal still personally.
I'd give a pick in the 20s, no doubt about it. Even as bad as we could use an OT and WR.

Hiero

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
I'd give a pick in the 20s, no doubt about it. Even as bad as we could use an OT and WR.
yep we will pick in the 20's I'd give that up for a stud like Rivers who could fill in immediately even if he doesnt start immediately, its nice to have a QB that is NFL ready for once.

te0002

Reaction score
Love to have him - but the Cowboys won't have the picks necessary to make the deal happen

fortdick

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

He was a #4 overall. Doubt SD would want a 20 something for him. May a first and third????

I think we would be better to take a chance on Drew Olson from UCLA. He may got mid to late first round. Great season this year.

Hiero

Reaction score
fortdick said:
He was a #4 overall. Doubt SD would want a 20 something for him. May a first and third????

I think we would be better to take a chance on Drew Olson from UCLA. He may got mid to late first round. Great season this year.
yes he was #4 but now they have to get rid of him, they have no choice but to take what they can get as they cannot keep him around another year. I think a 20's pick would do it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
fortdick said:
I haven't gotten many answers on the thread I started, but a first and third was one suggestion. Obviously they're going to take a loss on the deal, it just depends on what all the other bidders are willing to pay...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

I don't know about that Lab. This draft is extremely deep at LT. That doesn't happen very often. A pick at 20 could actually get us a very good young LT. That would make the move of Adams very attractive or we could get great value for him in trade. I think we have a guard in Peterman already. If we could aquire another young guard, that would give us a nice young mix of talent on the OL, which is what this team really needs IMO. Bledsoe might be playing like crap right now but the truth is that if you get vet QBs and if you can protect them, they can win for you. Until we get the OL fixed, we aren't going to be succesful with any QB we bring in.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Hiero said:
yes he was #4 but now they have to get rid of him, they have no choice but to take what they can get as they cannot keep him around another year. I think a 20's pick would do it.

The Chargers can indeed afford Rivers for another year. Signing Brees long term would make it even easier.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
The Chargers can indeed afford Rivers for another year. Signing Brees long term would make it even easier.

Regardless, I don't see the Chargers doing that. Rivers has publically stated that he will not be in San Diego next year. He has gone so far as to say that he will hang it up before he will stay in San Diego next year.

TheHustler

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:

They can, but they wont. I think they made it clear earlier in the season that they would pick one QB and trade the other after this season

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:

Yeah, but at some point Rivers gets very unhappy. In fact he's already ready to move on. Obviously Brees is their future so they have to move Rivers eventually.

Hiero

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
ya, i guess its possible,but they still have to trade him because Rivers said he wants to be traded immediately, and the Chargers have obviously chosen Brees as QB of the future. cmon Rivers in 06.

MrPhil

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
...I have no idea if he will be available or what he would cost or if he would be worth it, but this franchise must commit itself to obtaining and developing a young, talented QB.

If we are looking in the draft, Jay Cutler from Vanderbilt would be my choice.

I have no answers as to the WHO but, I totally agree with you that the team must committ to finding our future QB. I am not at all convinced that that person is currently on our roster.......

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
TO.

The Chargers can do what they please with Rivers.

I dont expect Rivers to be back, but the Chargers hold all of the cards over a guy who has proven nothing in 2 years in the NFL.

I would let him quit if I were a GM (in that circumstance) and then have the rights to him worth future draft choices.

Hiero

Reaction score
MrPhil said:
I have no answers as to the WHO but, I totally agree with you that the team must committ to finding our future QB. I am not at all convinced that that person is currently on our roster.......
I am now fully completely convinced that person is NOT on the roster. I used to havehope for Henson but he can barely beat out Romo that's badnews. I dont see either of these guys ever starting, but then again maybe Parcells knows something we all dont....